Timothy Fransky

Lightmeter app

I have the Original CineMeter II (Hardware) and i know there is an App which they say it probably is the best and most accurate Lightmeter App. But i believe you need to buy a little Hardware. A Cap to pull over the Mobilephone Cam. Have a look for Cinemeter 2 app.

Anyway, i believe every Lightmeter App needs that little Hardware to work propperly. Costs you 3$ or so... good luck

Those lightmeter apps works as reflective meters by using the phone's camera. If you want to use them as Incident meters, you have to buy the little white dome to cover the lens of the camera. I'm told a little piece of LEE 216 will do in a pinch.

• Upvote 2

I have the Original CineMeter II (Hardware) and i know there is an App which they say it probably is the best and most accurate Lightmeter App. But i believe you need to buy a little Hardware. A Cap to pull over the Mobilephone Cam. Have a look for Cinemeter 2 app.

Anyway, i believe every Lightmeter App needs that little Hardware to work propperly. Costs you 3$ or so... good luck

Which particular piece of hardware is $3? Link please

Thanks for these!

I've been emailing with the app developer and I do NOT need an attachment. Incidental light is measured by the "selfie" camera; reflected light by the rear camera.

Edited by Timothy Fransky

Thanks for these!

I've been emailing with the app developer and I do NOT need an attachment. Incidental light is measured by the "selfie" camera; reflected light by the rear camera.

I can't see how it can possibly measure incident (sp) light properly without a diffuser.

• Upvote 1

I can't see how it can possibly measure incident (sp) light properly without a diffuser.

I would think taking an average reading of all the pixel values in a shot would give you a reading on par with an incident meter/diffuser. Could be wrong, but that's what I bet they're doing.

I did hear from the app developer. He's provided some clear instructions I'd be happy to share via PM. (Sharing a private email on a public thread seems gauche somehow.)

To be honest, just my humble opinion, start measuring your light the correct way with a real lightmeter and no wischi waschi software. I'm sorry, no offense here but with a real lightmeter like a seconic L-758C or something you can't do any wrong. Saving money is nice but sometimes the wrong way.

https://www.sekonic.com/united-states/products/l-758cine-u/overview.aspx