Law Firm Promo Video

Hey guys, here's a still from a law firm video I shot.

Let me know what you think could be improved. Don't be afraid to be hard on me, I need to learn!

I used a godox sl-60 through a 6x6 diffusion panel.

The script was him saying lines about himself and the firm, with b-roll shots cut in.

jg2

Looks good.. nice lighting.. the only things I would say, is if its a centre framed subject I would put them right in the centre .. not just a bit off..  watch out for the subject "slouching".. its ok for a "relaxed " look.. but often on corp shoots its not a look they want..  personally I think there is just a tad too much head room.. and I would probably go for a slightly tighter shot and try to get the back ground more out of focus as its quite busy..  all small things the lighting is really good.. this more naturalist style in in vogue at the moment ..

I agree with everything Robin said.

One thought: Does something seem off about the contrast curve? It looks a bit unnatural to my eye, like you pushed and pulled the levels around a lot in the grade.

Overall, love the look and texture.

Thanks guys.

The law firm was a surf themed/relaxed environment, so I felt like the way he was sitting felt okay.

Now looking at it, I think maybe I would have framed the flowers on the left out. I shot 4k to try to give the editors some room to crop if they felt like they wanted to, so we'll see what they decide.

Frank, I'm not sure if I see what you're seeing about the contrast. All I did was add a little bit of black, but for the most part it's right out of camera.

• Premium Member
On 5/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Kyle Kearns said:

Let me know what you think could be improved. Don't be afraid to be hard on me, I need to learn!

I used a godox sl-60 through a 6x6 diffusion panel.

The script was him saying lines about himself and the firm, with b-roll shots cut in.

jg2

Just my opinion. I like the depth of field, wouldn't change it. Like the background / orientation of the room you chose.

My first impression was to have him more on the left third (camera left), but I have to remember this is direct address. So that probably counter-acts that feeling. If you have a B-Cam, it might cut better. Agree about a little less head room. Also, I think the brighter pillow is making me feel like it wants to be keyed from the other side, but that's just me. Like the contrast in his face, maybe a little scratch on the fill side would look nice. Also maybe wouldn't take much to find out where the spot reflection on the top of his head is coming from and flag it out. I also agree slightly tighter, red tulips a little distracting. The right third of the background is the most appealing. I dig the busy colorful painting/mural thing, and the warm tones.

Edited by Joseph Tese

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 3:15 AM, Kyle Kearns said:

jg2

The background is awkward. The black lamp shade is too close to his head and at eye level, the poster is directly behind his head and the same size. Distracting. I'd have removed both. And the black thing coming out of one shoulder. His tie and suit look messy - you might want to carry bulldog clips and some fabric for paddings. (Old fashion shooter tricks.) Something very awkward is happening behind his left (ie camera right) arm.

The flowers are a minor problem by comparison - always start your Foreign Object scan with the talent's head. Then check the eyeline and the rest of the body. Elements as far away as the flowers are much lower priority than objects actually distorting his silhouette.

Lighting is nice. Centring the subject is best for building empathy - good call.

The guy looks like a natural to play Lex Luthor - probably an asset to a lawyer...

Edited by David Mawson

On 6/7/2019 at 12:49 AM, Kyle Kearns said:

Thanks guys.

The law firm was a surf themed/relaxed environment, so I felt like the way he was sitting felt okay.

Now looking at it, I think maybe I would have framed the flowers on the left out. I shot 4k to try to give the editors some room to crop if they felt like they wanted to, so we'll see what they decide.

Frank, I'm not sure if I see what you're seeing about the contrast. All I did was add a little bit of black, but for the most part it's right out of camera.

Ah just realized something.. he's sitting crossed leg..the hand with the watch is resting on his leg.. which accounts for the "slumped" posture .. in that case I would frame wider to see he is sitting crossed legged ,and so not an up tight lawyer ? and the whole leaning thing will make sense and not be an issue ..