LINGTIAN KONG

Lenses and composition

Posted (edited)

Hello peeps! 

I am currently working on the shot list of my next short film, and I try utilize my lenses and composition to show the loneliness of the protagonist. I attached two reference as below, I just wondering whats the focal length and lenses should I choose in order to tell the character internal's emotion? I want something wider focal length but not too much distortion, I basically want to emphasis character's internal fear of the reality world around him. 

mr-robot.jpg

DMBg4dWWAAEYaQA.jpg

Edited by LINGTIAN KONG

Posted (edited)

I like the dark one.

Do you have a zoom? Try different lengths and see what works best. The dark example also looks good to me for a lens. But what are you after super close up?

You mentioned loneliness. The negative space and off center comp of the dark photo pulls it off for me.

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Posted (edited)

It's up to the actor to create the look of fear or lonliness, etc. In this case I see more confusion or shock than lonliness or fear. I don't think changing the focal length or composition would change that.DMBg4dWWAAEYaQA.jpg.f8842340e5c4a18a0d524fad6a5dfa30-2.jpg.03a7c2a617ae809ecd0fea446cd1690d.jpg

Edited by Bob Speziale

Having nothing to do with photography, if I were to make a character look "lonely", I would place him in a crowded location, but by himself.

In other words, it's not the lens that creates the image of loneliness, but the situation.