YongLee

about dynamic range

I think, though not sure, that it's calculated by the slope of the gamma function.  Where did you find this reference to 800%?

I have an old Panasonic Varicam where, I assume broadcast DR is 100% and about 6 stops.  And 500% setting is about 11 stops.  If that helps you 🙂

Its a common LUT in most Sony cameras  .. or MLUT as they call them.. the M being Monitor.. its a gamma curve .. used for monitoring slog .. useful in the EVF and to monitors .. is that where you are seeing it..

Stops above native, whatever native is for that camera.

Stops double the amount of light every time, so 800% is three stops above 100% (200%, 400%, 800%.)

Er, I think.

How much stops there are between 0 and 100% is limited your camera's signal to noise ratio. Say, an F900 had, as far as I remember, 54 dB, which means you won't ever distinguish more than 9 stops in the 0 to 95 (or wherever the knee circuit kicks in) IRE range. 6dB equals a stop. Then you add 3 stops  (=800%) of range cramped in the highlight (say, 95...105) region nonlinearily - either using knee or with some gamma that has a shoulder (like a film H&D curve). In the latter case it's a bit more complicated since the whole "percents" terminology comes from the world of broadcast-legal video that doesn't necessarilly get color graded. 

Edited by Michael Rodin