Using shot lists

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

For what it's worth......as I don't normally have anyone looking over my shoulder or taking stock of what is shot.......I always start.....be it for still photography or the projects I do with moving images....with Pinterest......I create a BOARD and start putting in my inspiration images that are out there plus all my iPhone location shots.....then, like ur self I start scribbling notes and start drawing out frames with notes on how to use the natural light based on what I know of the sun's movement and how I'm going to add light or whatever and what kind of style of photography I will be doing......I've recently discovered Lawrence Shers SHOTDECK and that's been another source to add images to my Pinterest boards....

Storyboarding and shot listing merge for me into a.....I have to shoot this this and this and then edit it thus work plan I put on paper with a pen......but I won't use a computer as the flow is just not there for me for the explosion occurring in my head of ideas and how to shoot etc

• Like 1

Interesting article.
I have a meticulous approach myself because it saves me time on set and a lot of headache so that things don't go wrong.
Of course you can never plan for everything and you always need adjust stuff but it's a little easier when you've got an in and an out to guide you how you need to improvise.
I've never gone over scheduled and never shot over time and always finished everything we had to shoot in the time we had to finish a project.

I usually work in the same order, concept 1st, story board 2nd and shot list/schedule 3rd.
These shots are from a music video.

Concept-1024x576.jpg

Storyboard001-1-1024x576.jpg

Shot-List-Sm-1024x576.jpg

CMRMWEWS.jpg