Super 8 won’t advance

Andy Pabst

Hi all, I had to open my film door to see if a roll was expired and it wasn’t. So I put it back in and it never seems to end. It’s like it’s not advancing 😞

do cartridges ever like break? Is there a way to get it moving again?

• Site Sponsor

You can try tapping the cartridge on a desk or counter a few times to see if that will loosen up the wind.

Also you can pull a loop of film out of the window and then rotate the takeup on the cartridge to pull the film forward back into the window.

The takeup reel will only advance there is a cam that keeps it from going backwards.

13 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

You can try tapping the cartridge on a desk or counter a few times to see if that will loosen up the wind.

Also you can pull a loop of film out of the window and then rotate the takeup on the cartridge to pull the film forward back into the window.

The takeup reel will only advance there is a cam that keeps it from going backwards.

I tried pulling a bit of film out and rewinding it and turning the spool would not advance the film. Seems like it’s stuck inside the cartridge.  

Hopefully the camera is fine but it could be that a nylon gear or the drive shaft has worn out. Does the circular take-up drive at the back of film compartment rotate when you press the run button? I had a Super 8 camera that stopped working and I opened it up and found that some internal nylon parts had degraded. You could feel it that it was warming up too on the outside if you ran it for a bit. It was just chewing gears. The Canon 814 is probably fine though as this is a very well made camera.

6 hours ago, Jon O'Brien said:

Hopefully the camera is fine but it could be that a nylon gear or the drive shaft has worn out. Does the circular take-up drive at the back of film compartment rotate when you press the run button? I had a Super 8 camera that stopped working and I opened it up and found that some internal nylon parts had degraded. You could feel it that it was warming up too on the outside if you ran it for a bit. It was just chewing gears. The Canon 814 is probably fine though as this is a very well made camera.

So the camera is definitely fine. I notice if it push my finger against the winder the winder will actually stop and I don’t think there’s anything shredding inside.

further I suspect that when the camera “stops” I think it’s due to the pressure of the jammed film stopping the motor. When I pull the film it starts again and when I put the film back in (after the pressure is relieved) the motor runs but the film doesn’t advance

today I was also able to get the rolls moving by hand and re insert them and film to “expired” but I had no idea what was filming and what was not of course.