best camera for music videos w/$2000 budget

seth christian

Guest 3ldfilms
best camera for music videos w/$2000 budget?

K-3...just use short takes for sync (unless it is entirely a performance video in which get a the cheapest sync package you can rent...which will probably be an Eclair)

Ed

• Premium Member

I'd look at an Arri 16S or Arri 16S/B because if you are doing music video, they are lip syncing anyway, so the noise of the camera is meaningless. And you can get a crystal sync motor for the Arri if you need to do a long take of lip syncing and match it in post. Also, with the 100' internal loads, the camera is as easy to hand hold as most smaller video cameras. And it is electric, so no winding of springs that run down at inopportune times. And either the constant speed motor or the variable speed unit, set to 24fps, should run more consistent than a spring wound motor.

I am just a huge Arri fan, be it the Arriflex 16S or the SR series of 16mm cameras. The registration pin steadiness can't be beat. And if you get a good one and have it set up right, it is a tank.

My two cents worth,

-Tim

• Premium Member

I shoot (and direct) music videos in that price range on DV -- because there's always enough for me to pay myself. If I shot film, I'd be working for free. Food for thought.

sorry.....let me clarify the question...$2000 to buy a camera in order to do all the

following music videos in film. NOT $2000 to do the whole music video production,

if that were the case, yah, I agree, I'd be workin for pennies.

I've been purely DV up until now....well, I'm tired of only being at that level, because

all I'm ever gonna get is local low-budget bands that can only pay me around $1000

or $2000 if I'm lucky to do their video...and I've gotta step up and spend a little

more investment on order to start showing my level of production is ready for the

big boys. Good luck with your continuing DV productions, there's always a small

nitch in that, I not mocking that cause someone has to be there for that side of it,

but I'm just ready for the "REAL DEAL"!

My current music video that we're finishing up was just shot with a HVX200 and

it does look a little better, but video will just NEVER look like film......period!!!

And frankly I've spent so many hours in post-production trying to make things

look like film, its really evening out anyway if I just went to film.

Guest 3ldfilms

You can get a Super 16 K-3 with crystal motor from Du-all for $1500. That might be your best bet. You might find an old Arri or Eclair for the same price, but the one added feature of the K-3 is that it is really light. It's really the cheapest Super 16 camera you can get.

You could also find an CP-16R, but be prepared to spend some decent coin for new batteries and a tune-up (as I have unfortunately learned).

Ed

• Premium Member
spend a little more investment on order to start showing my level of production is ready for the big boys.

Ok. Best of luck. :)

I'll state the obvious that A-Minima's with 3-200' mags (but no lens) can be had for $250/Day in most major US cities. Personally, I'd feel much safer with that camera than an older model (it's a peace of mind thing, nothing more). Frankly, a K3 can't be "rented" for very much to a client because it's not a very expensive camera -- thus, it will take a long, long time to pay for itself. You may actually be able to put more money in your pocket if you rent a modern camera for each shoot. Another thing to keep in mind is that AC's need cameras they are familiar with in order to diagnose problems when they occur. That can't always be done quickly with cameras they don't use day in and day out, etc.

Hope this helps.

If you're trying to get the best quality for the money and move towards a professional approach, you might look at renting rather than buying. You'll be able to rent better gear than you can afford to buy and you'll be able to tailor your gear to each particular job. I'm not sure where you're located, but you should see what kind of options you have locally for renting before you purchase something. There are a number of threads in the archives discussing the topic of renting vs. buying.

If you do decide that buying is the way to go, remember to look at the entire camera package you'll need, not just the camera. Pay special attention to lenses, as they will have a greater impact on your photography than the camera (barring any major problems mechanical problems).

If you're trying to get the best quality for the money and move towards a professional approach, you might look at renting rather than buying. You'll be able to rent better gear than you can afford to buy and you'll be able to tailor your gear to each particular job. I'm not sure where you're located, but you should see what kind of options you have locally for renting before you purchase something. There are a number of threads in the archives discussing the topic of renting vs. buying.

If you do decide that buying is the way to go, remember to look at the entire camera package you'll need, not just the camera. Pay special attention to lenses, as they will have a greater impact on your photography than the camera (barring any major problems mechanical problems).

I have to agree with the previous two posts. Put your $2000 toward marketing yourself as a pro shooter (reallly slick website, business cards, etc... etc...). Rent pro equipment and when you have made some $$, look into buying a super 16 package. Larger market clients are always impressed by fancy equipment on the set. I would still get the K-3, converted to super 16, it makes a great MOS B cam.

chris

• Premium Member

If you are still open to it, I found you a nice Arriflex 16S. You can see alot more information about it on your "Is this a good deal?" thread, but you can view the auction below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arriflex-16mm-Movie-Ca...itemZ7572924769

-Tim Carroll

I wouldn't shoot a music video on anything that didn't have an adjustable shutter... you can't get them on much except the newer (high dollar) cameras and the Eclair NPR. A lot of my friends who shoot laughed when I bought an NPR and put a bunch of money into it to get it punched out to S16 and a lot of custom work done... but they quit laughing when the saw a 45 degree shutting running at 40FPS in t-storm. You can shoot low speed regular 16 and get a great image too with the camera too. It also has both a reg pin and a horizontal pressure plate, it is one of the most steady 16's you will ever find.

For Low budget chooting good choose russian, real professional cine camera Kinor-16 SX-2M

http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/16m...nor-16sx-2m.htm

The mechanicm of camera have one transport and one registartion pin, high precision of movement, anbd more otehr

Can be modifed to multispeed version of electrical motor, crystal sync control and other.

About all technical details can ask me, I know this camera very good.

Kinor can not be comare with K-3 camera, Krasnogorsk-3 -cine camera for amateur filming.

Olexandr.

For Low budget chooting good choose russian, real professional cine camera Kinor-16 SX-2M

http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/16m...nor-16sx-2m.htm

The mechanicm of camera have one transport and one registartion pin, high precision of movement, anbd more otehr

Can be modifed to multispeed version of electrical motor, crystal sync control and other.

About all technical details can ask me, I know this camera very good.

Kinor can not be comare with K-3 camera, Krasnogorsk-3 -cine camera for amateur filming.

Olexandr.

When I think about it, if you are in the states, you might be able to get 35mm film cheap. In which case perhaps a Konvas might be a good idea! Konvas 35mm cameras can often by had cheaper than 16mm cameras. They sound like a coffee grinder or something of course but that wouldn't matter.

I think it is the 2M that is the nicer more practical Konvas? You would probably also want to keep an eye out for a package that has 400ft magazines. The 200ft ones aren't so practical because they don't take 200ft.

They are supposed to be hard to load however.

I'm not sure how much that idea is just dumping more confusion into it all tho.

Suprised Olexandr didn't mention it but then again you are posting in the 16mm only area.

love

Freya

• 1 month later...
Eclai ACL 1.5 or 2 you can find in ebay around 2000 $ if you have luck !

You will find a nice Bolex El series III if you hang around and look on ebay. Great steady mech, lots of lenses available and adapters, runs to 54fps and single frame, can be easily converted super16, 400ft mags available and takes 100ft daylight loads. Crystal sync controller available, rock solid and pretty bomb proof, i've seen the BBC crash them in cars on stunts and they have come out practically un-scathed!!! cheap to service.

What most people have said makes sense...

So I just guess I'll continue confusing you. :)

If you're buying a camera

because you think it'll will increase your business--don't!

I own an Aaton LTR-54 that rarely gets used--most people I deal with aren't ready to shoot film.

And the ones who do shoot film usually rather rent newer equipment and have the money to do so.

So don't rely on having a camera as getting you the work you're after.

If you want to shoot film seek you should put your money into getting better work.

Make a great reel, create a kick-ass website, make good connections hire a marketing person...

But don't rely on the equipment unless you're a

If you get a job that wants to shoot on film you can rent the equipment at rental place.

It's easy.

THe only reason to justify owning equipment is if you shoot alot and often...

And it's mostly your own stuff so you don't mind if you don't have the latest & greatest...

And finally, if you don't mind waiting long years to get back your investment.

If you must buy a camera here are the best ones (in your price range)

Arri 16S

the best 16mm MOS camera around. The only problem it can't be converted to S16

Eclair ACL

A damn good 16mm camera that rivals the Arri SR and the Aaton LTR-54

If you find it for around 2grand--it's a bargain.

CP 16R

It's a pretty good camera which can be modified to your needs.

However it can be hard to load and few places know how to repair it.

Bolex

Very good cameras but most of them don't have motors and only take 10' foot loads...

They also have few good newer lens options.

K3

The K3 is a really good camera for the money, but it lacks many perks...

It only takes 100' loads, needs to be outfitted with a motor...doesn't take many lenses...etc...

Good Luck