Travelling with motion picture rolls in airports

Gregory PAUL

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

From looking at peoples experiences over the years it looks as though it depends mainly on the x-ray machine. X-rays are X-rays full stop fair enough, but different machines release them at different amplitudes e.t.c.

Best to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
From looking at peoples experiences over the years it looks as though it depends mainly on the x-ray machine. X-rays are X-rays full stop fair enough, but different machines release them at different amplitudes e.t.c.

Best to be safe than sorry.

The power CAT-scan type machines used for inspecting CHECKED baggage will severely fog film, ruining it in one pass.

The low dose machines you normally put your carry-on baggage through usually don't fog slower films in one pass, but may vary in the intensity of exposure, and the number of passes. As mentioned, in the USA, TSA guidelines specifically allow hand inspection of ANY motion picture film, regardless of speed.

Here is the website of the International Imaging Industry Association, Integrity in Transportation of Imaging Products (ITIP Committee) website:

http://www.i3a.org/itip.html

US mail is USUALLY not subjected to x-rays, unless the mail ends up in the cargo of a passenger plane. AFAIK, millions of processing mailers are still used each year.

Also, mail sent to certain government facilities may be subjected to sanitation/sterilization by high intensity electron beam radiation, which is powerful enough to kill Anthrax spores, and will ruin both film and digital sensors and most digital media:

http://www.i3a.org/pdf/i3a_titan_testing_report.pdf

So don't send your unprocessed film to the White House or Pentagon for processing. Likewise, don't send a disk or media card.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> TSA... so willing...

All I can do is reiterate what happened to me at McCarran in Las Vegas, where they got the head guy down and agreed to hand inspect, but he insisted it was his call. In this situation, what on earth are you going to do?

Phil

• Premium Member
Hi,

> TSA... so willing...

All I can do is reiterate what happened to me at McCarran in Las Vegas, where they got the head guy down and agreed to hand inspect, but he insisted it was his call. In this situation, what on earth are you going to do?

Phil

"Politeness and patience" usually helps. Likewise, professional ID (ASC membership, union/guild card, studio ID, etc.) in addition to your regular ID lets them know you you make your living from those images that might be ruined. Having the changing bag and practice roll helps them understand what they are feeling for.

If it's any consolation, it's been our experience that most emulsions of Kodak film are available worldwide at roughly the same price as in the states. Even in Costa Rica we were able to buy it from a local reseller.

Where you pay more is in countries with high VAT's, and can discuss this with the local Kodak rep on reclaiming that when you leave the particular country. Hope that helps... John Fante

I don't know what Greece has with any VAT's, but I was quoted a price of 200 euros for a 400' roll of 7245 about a year and half ago.

The same roll cost 130 US dollars in NYC. 200 euros equaled 250 dollars US at the time. I just bought my film stock in NYC and lugged it around Europe. The savings on my total stock costs was worth it.

Best

Tim

Two weeks ago, I carried on some still film for a documentary I was working on at the time. I had initially planned on taking a 16mm clockwork camera with me so that I could shoot some timelapse footage for later insertion into the documentary, but in the end, all I ended up taking was some 220 still film. I brought a changing bag, showed up early, and requested a hand inspection. I tried going over the procedure of what was necesseary if they wished to open the spools of film and feel around. After a brief scare (the lady said "well we're not going to use the bag" leading me to believe they were just going to tear the rolls open), it turned out they just swabbed the outside and were content at that. Granted this isn't a 1000 foot cannister of 35mm. . . After getting off of my flight, I found that I had unknowingly carried a 4-inch long pair of scissors on as well that they hadn't caught in the hand inspection :blink: Besides the fact that it was really unnerving that they didn't catch the scissors, they were really understanding as to my requests for hand inspection. I had no trouble with the film on the way back either. It was funny though: the inspector tore the film BOX open on the bottom for no apparant reason other than whimsy. Just hammer in being a "professional" and having professional film. I think the inspectors have had enough ruined film complaints that they understand (at least in the Cleveland Hopkins and Louis Armstrong Airports that I was at) the importance of handing film seriously. The man that took my stowaway baggage at Louis Armstrong made it a point to make sure I didn't have any film in that bag.

One comment I'd like to make about inspectors that think they're above the law: You are in no way breaking the law by refusing to let them pass your film through the scanner. Better to miss the flight than have them run 500T through an X-ray machine saying "Hey the guy didn't want this scanned; take a close look at it." Further, make the inspector really think about what the consequences will be to him for not following the law. "Well, I am going to have to get in touch with the [ASC, PFA or the TSA] and report this incident. Can I please have your name and manager's name for when I file a complaint about this incident?" Don't let inspectors bully you. They have an important job, but they aren't paid to break laws and strongarm air travelers.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

• Premium Member

US airport TSA agents have generally been good about carry-on hand inspections, but they invariably try the "it won't harm film" pitch first. To speed things up I usually put all the film cans in clear Zip-Lok bags with a few of those yellow FILM--DO NOT X-RAY stickers on the outside. That seems to get their attention and they'll usually help you out.

There is, of course, always a chance you'll get one of those over-enthusiastic types who will try to make you suffer a little. On a connection in Chicago, I've had a guy open every carton of still film for a three-week shoot and individually swab the canisters?20 bricks of 10 rolls each. Since then, whenever I sense this kind of devotion-to-the-cause in an inspector, I casually mention that I'm several hours early for my flight and to please take as much time as needed to do the job properly. At this point, I take a seat next to the inspection table, kick back with my morning coffee and pull out a copy of the Wall Street Journal or latest Rolling Stone while completely ignoring the inspection proceedings. This seems to drastically speed things up for some reason.

The only hang up I?ve had recently was on a return trip from a vacation in the Caymans in January. Nothing I could do or say would convince the inspectors there to do a hand inspection, so I pulled out a few of those heavy-duty lead bags I carry as a last resort and we ran the film right through the scanner. All I could see on the screen was the outline of the lead bag. Unless the inspectors had some kind of x-ray vision, that?s all they saw, too. Kind of makes you wonder. I've always suspected that the whole screening process is, though well-intentioned, not much more that a feel-good pill to make people get back on airplanes after 9/11. I?m still fascinated whenever they squint through the viewfinder of my Leica M6 rangefinder to see if I?m hiding contraband somewhere inside the lens, or turn my GL2 on, off and inside out while the A-Minima and Super Speeds in my backpack go right through the scanner and past the comatose operator without comment.

One other thing: If I recall my Ansel Adams lessons correctly, I believe exposed film is more sensitive to x-rays (or exposure of any kind) than unexposed film, which is why flashing film improves shadow detail. I usually try to be more careful with exposed film for that reason.

• Premium Member
The only hang up I?ve had recently was on a return trip from a vacation in the Caymans in January. Nothing I could do or say would convince the inspectors there to do a hand inspection, so I pulled out a few of those heavy-duty lead bags I carry as a last resort and we ran the film right through the scanner.

I used to live in Grand Cayman, and if it's anything like it used to be you were using the wrong kind of convincing. A few bucks probably would have taken care of the problem. Oh well, at least you had the lead bags.

Did you stay on 7 mile beach?

• Premium Member
I used to live in Grand Cayman, and if it's anything like it used to be you were using the wrong kind of convincing. A few bucks probably would have taken care of the problem. Oh well, at least you had the lead bags.

Did you stay on 7 mile beach?

No, I was at some private home they call the Cayman Castle on the other side of the island. (east side, I believe). Very weird trip, postponed for a year because of the 2004 hurricane damage, then one of the guys I was with got bent from too much bottom time after the local guide took him on a couple of "reverse" (deep/shallow) dives. Luckily, they have a decompression chamber on the island.

As for the film and financial incentive, you're probably right. Actually, the line at the terminal was backing up fast and the inspectors were just running ragged and, I believe, simply didn't want to deal with anyone going off-script. They shot that film through the scanner so fast I couldn't believe it. Didn't seem like security was the priority, just getting us on the plane on time.

I have to say, the TSA has been surprisingly helpful lately. I've noticed a real change in the last year or so. They've become more professional and seem to understand the concern for film. Maybe there were too many complaints, because right after 9/11, it was awful. I was always getting stuck trying to find a supervisor at some regional airport in Utah or Idaho or Montana, trying to talk my way through with a huge bag of shot film. FedEx has been a lifesaver since then, and I alway use them whenever I have enough lead time. Never one problem.

Now, with the Canon 1Ds MKII still camera approaching film quality, I was hoping those days of hand inspections of film would be over, then I heard about a few of my friends' digital cameras coming out of x-ray with dead pixels. I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread. So now I'm even asking for a hand-inspection of the digital cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this forum and it may be a dead thread--but it seems like a-minima film w/ it's daylight friendly cores is a great advantage when it comes to visual/hand inspections. As long as the screeners don't 'pry'.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I'd like to thanks all the people who had join this thread and who helped me to handle the X-Ray issue during my trip. Now that I'm back from Indonesia and my footage is safe, let me add comments and talk about my experience.

During my trip I encoutered 9 X-ray checks. I was travelling with only 2 rolls of 400' 7201 50D film. Of course I hoped that if I were unable to have the rolls hand inspected, they could pass in the X-ray luggage equipment without problem as they were 50 asa films. I removed the films from the metalic cans letting them in their black bags and then putting them in another plastic black bag. All this, done in a changing bag to avoid any problem. The outer plastic bag was locked with a good looking yellow "DO NOT X-RAY" tape. Generally that tape impressed the guys at checkings as it looked very "official". Each time I asked to hand inspect the films, and in France, China (Hong Kong) and Indonesia, they agreed to do so, each time. I was really impressed by the kindness of the policeman in France who has inspected the rolls (I'm french, so I can comment this... ;-) ) and the kindness of the guys in Hong Kong. Removing the film from the metallic cans helps a lot as they can check it in metallic detector. You just have to take care not to drill the bag during the handlings.

My rolls are just back from the lab and of course I had no fogging trouble.

Now, I just hope that I'll be able to travel again soon with my AATON and a bag full of motion rolls !!

Regards

Gregory

• Premium Member
Hello there,

I'd like to thanks all the people who had join this thread and who helped me to handle the X-Ray issue during my trip. Now that I'm back from Indonesia and my footage is safe, let me add comments and talk about my experience.

During my trip I encoutered 9 X-ray checks. I was travelling with only 2 rolls of 400' 7201 50D film. Of course I hoped that if I were unable to have the rolls hand inspected, they could pass in the X-ray luggage equipment without problem as they were 50 asa films. I removed the films from the metalic cans letting them in their black bags and then putting them in another plastic black bag. All this, done in a changing bag to avoid any problem. The outer plastic bag was locked with a good looking yellow "DO NOT X-RAY" tape. Generally that tape impressed the guys at checkings as it looked very "official". Each time I asked to hand inspect the films, and in France, China (Hong Kong) and Indonesia, they agreed to do so, each time. I was really impressed by the kindness of the policeman in France who has inspected the rolls (I'm french, so I can comment this... ;-) ) and the kindness of the guys in Hong Kong. Removing the film from the metallic cans helps a lot as they can check it in metallic detector. You just have to take care not to drill the bag during the handlings.

My rolls are just back from the lab and of course I had no fogging trouble.

Now, I just hope that I'll be able to travel again soon with my AATON and a bag full of motion rolls !!

Regards

Gregory

Your idea of taking the film out of the cans seems to have worked well. B)

And, as always, politeness with security goes a long way. They are just doing their job, and they HAVE to do it right!

• Premium Member
all they saw, too. Kind of makes you wonder. I've always suspected that the whole screening process is, though well-intentioned, not much more that a feel-good pill to make people get back on airplanes after 9/11.

I used to fly quite a bit around the US in the 1980's and '90's. I'm somewhat sick about the fact that it was perfectly obvious to me that all the "security" procedures in place were built on the model of one individual trying to hijack a plane to Havana or perhaps another D.B. Cooper exploit. I realized at the time that none of the FAA's security procedures would be worth ten cents if some group put an organized team on a plane - exactly what happened with 9/11. My wife has about 8 ounces of Titanium in her back from major back surgery, she gets on and off planes without any problem, those $100,000 pieces of crap TSA calls "metal detectors" are MAGNETIC metal detectors - Titanium doesn't register - period. There are other holes in TSA's procedures I won't talk about in a public forum. I live in OKC where FAA's Mike Moroney Center is located and was able to pass word about my concerns with Titanium through an intermediary to someone at FAA.

I have an ex-wife who was a University of Chicago trained Anthropologist who did her field work in village India. She knew a lot about many practices within Hinduism including how one purified things that had been defiled in some way. It was called "Ritual Purification" - nothing was really purified, it was just put through a religiously prescribed procedure that made people feel better - sound familiar?

Don't trust the x-ray machines. Last summer my and my pals shoot off 12 rolls of S8mm Tri-X. Well my friends cousin Fannigan took them back with him to Ireland to get them developed cause he knew a guy who would do it for cheap. Well due to a system error his name was mismatched with another's whose was similar and it came up as IRA. Customs blatantly denied his request for a hand insepction, ingored anything he said. They had no Idea what a super 8 film cartridge looked like or was. They X-Rayed everything single roll. Well they ruined all the film and fogged out all the images badly. Well he went after them and the airline and got them to reimburse him for the film, processing and then some but still our porject was ruined. :angry:

Don't bring film with you to the airport. Ship it to where you'll be in advance or get it locally and then ship it home. Better safe then sorry.

Edited by Canney

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

..I'll add my experience to the list here.

Just got back from travelling Seattle -> Toronto -> Lima Peru and back with unprocessed films: 16mm daylight rolls and super 8. I explained that I was carrying professional films and in most cases they tried to persuade me to send it through the xray. I found a polite "no"goes a long way. They usually respond to "no" by asking what speed the films are. I responded by telling them firmly that "I have to have a hand inspection". Sometimes this request was met with some resistance and a bit of gentle argument usually resulted in a manager coming over to talk to me. In more than one instance the manager told me "the hand inspection will take a long time". When I asked how long in both instances they responded with "five to ten minutes". I told them this would be fine. The hand inspection did not require opening any of my films. They simply swabbed the outside of the films to check for dangerous substances. I was most concerned with travelling back through Lima, but Lima security was very accomodating.

It was no problem.

Steve

Ok so what have we learned from:

I can see that travelling in the USA from airport to airport you can get away with hand searches by the TSA. News flash, the TSA only works in the USA!! Try demanding a hand search of your film in Singapore or Thailand and see what happens. Give them the famous line: "I'm an American you can't do this to me."

R,

Just thought I would add my recent experience to this as well. I traveled internationally with six 100 foot rolls of 16mm this summer. Spent most of the time in Thailand. I went through airport security checkpoints with film nine times if I remember right while traveling back and forth. I never had much of a problem getting my film hand inspected, including in Thailand where they were usually really friendly about it. Once in Thailand I was asked to load a 100 foot spool of film from an unopened box into my Bolex to show them it was all legit. They let me do this in an office where we shut off the light and cracked the door open. I took the film out of the box, opened up the camera, and by that time, the guy had seen enough. I put the film back in the box and he was all smiles over my old time camera. Film undamaged.

Most times they just looked my film boxes over, or shook them and listened to what was inside. The only airport where they swabbed the film boxes was Chicago, and they seemed they were used to the routine.

In Thailand I had some film processed at Kantana in Bangkok. They weren't used to seeing such small quantities of film I gathered, but they were still really helpful and accomodating. And the footage turned out good.

-Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard many differing opinions on this subject.

Recently I was shooting in Barbados for a German production. We flew back from Bridgetown, over London eventually arriving in Hamburg. We took the 10 cans of 16mm Fuji 250ASA film in our hand luggage and it was x-rayed repeatedly with no resulting problems.

I did this after years of careful consultation on this vexed subject with many very experienced co-workers.

Then I read what John Pytlak (Senior Technical Specialist Eastman Kodak Company) said: Don' x-ray! It bad!

So that's me sorted from now on! Changing tent, polite smile and hours earlier at the airport! It's just not worth it! It only has to happen once and all your insistances to the production company that: "I've always had film stock x-rayed, it's never been a problem" will be a very mut and expesive waste of air!

Another question though: I've heard from assistants (admittedly the hand-luggage-film-stock-x-raying-variety) that the radiation that we're exposed to during the flight due to altitude is also a concern! True? Fiction? I never payed attention in science class, any ideas?

• Premium Member
I've heard many differing opinions on this subject.

Recently I was shooting in Barbados for a German production. We flew back from Bridgetown, over London eventually arriving in Hamburg. We took the 10 cans of 16mm Fuji 250ASA film in our hand luggage and it was x-rayed repeatedly with no resulting problems.

I did this after years of careful consultation on this vexed subject with many very experienced co-workers.

Then I read what John Pytlak (Senior Technical Specialist Eastman Kodak Company) said: Don' x-ray! It bad!

So that's me sorted from now on! Changing tent, polite smile and hours earlier at the airport! It's just not worth it! It only has to happen once and all your insistances to the production company that: "I've always had film stock x-rayed, it's never been a problem" will be a very mut and expesive waste of air!

Another question though: I've heard from assistants (admittedly the hand-luggage-film-stock-x-raying-variety) that the radiation that we're exposed to during the flight due to altitude is also a concern! True? Fiction? I never payed attention in science class, any ideas?

Yeah, about eight months ago I was in Washington DC for a political demonstration on the National Mall. I covered the event with a Super 8 camera and several rolls of Plus X 7265. I also paid a visit to the offices of my state senators and went through security in more than half a dozen government buildings (all x-rayed my film). My film must have been scanned 12 times by x ray machines.....to get to my point: no problems with the image visable.... 7265 is a low speed black and white stock so it is pretty robust.

...not sure about radiation at altitude. I'm sure it is present. In the end, it seems the thing to do is just fend for your film as much as possible when going through security and then don't worry about it. It is also important to keep in mind, as a representative of Kodak, John Pytlak has to tell his customers that x-rays can damage film at all times and in all places even if the damage is uncommon.

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

• 5 weeks later...

Hello.

Here's an update to this topic with my most recent experience in traveling with 16mm film. I took a trip to Indonesia this last month carrying with me 7 100 foot cans of Fuji 16mm stock. In going through the international terminal at San Francisco's airport, they would absolutely not allow a hand inspection only. I had to either send my film through the x-ray machines, or have each can opened and looked at. I talked to the supervisors, and even after they went away to read their own TSA guidelines, they would not budge. They said they have to either open up or x-ray everything that comes through.

They said they would just quickly open each can and take a peak inside then reseal them, so I chose this as opposed to the x-ray machine. Having loaded daylight spools like I had with me out in broad daylight many times with no probelm, I was not too worried. Like they said, they opened each can quickly and just took a peak inside without unwrapping the black paper protecting each spool from light.

Upon arrival at the airport in Indonesia, I had to do the same thing with two or three cans.

This experience was enough to convince me its worth sending film to and from any destination I'm going to shoot at in the future, since I do not want to risk sending my film through x-ray machines. Many FedEx offices will hold items for you. over and out,

-Jeremy Rumas