Shooting REALA 500D inside?

Phil Thompson

• Premium Member
Im pretty clueless. What happens if i shoot fuji REALA 500D inside using normal lights?

Will it turn out blue?

Hi,

With tungsten lights very yellow. The correction filter 80a needs 2 stops of compensation.

Stephen

Hi,

With tungsten lights very yellow. The correction filter 80a needs 2 stops of compensation.

Stephen

Cheers, Im getting it transfered to tape for editing. Can i just correct the color there? Do i have to overexpose 2 stops?

• Premium Member
What is the purpose of a 500 speed daylight film? To sell more ND filters? Never understood that.

-Tim

Fuji's data sheet mentions using HMI lights which are the madern version of Arc lights, and therefore are daylight ballanced. Persumably you can use fewer watts worth of HMI lights and still shoot. I would guess that the daylight film would need less corection than the tungsten film under floresents, and also work with the FL-D filter that is sold for still phtography.

I agree about the ND filters though, I wish thet there was an ASA 12 Colour neg some times. Tkae the old film out on a sunny day and you are lucky if you can open up passt f-11 with 7245. Fine if you WANT sharp backgrounds.

I am still wondering where i can find a Series 4.5 ND filter for under 20 bucks. (thats what the B&H lens takes! )

QUOTE(TimCarroll @ May 13 2006, 04:48 PM)

What is the purpose of a 500 speed daylight film? To sell more ND filters? Never understood that.

-Tim

I've heard of many DP's using the stock for very low light magic hour shots, in which you need the speed and the daylight balance. Also, some cinematographers use it for very high speed work during the day and need the fast film speed to compensate. An example of this is Stephen Goldblatt using the stock for the beautiful overcranked sidewalk shots in CLOSER.

• Premium Member
So i need HMI lights? Great, they are so expensive.. Would it look too rubbish if i used a couple of household tungsten lights with 250w bulbs? Its supposed to be an bedroom scene...

It's a daylight-balanced stock, so if you want to have a tungsten-lit scene, use tungsten-balanced stock. Unless this is a daylight interior with real daylight and you want to add tungsten lights - then you'll have two different colored lighting in the scene and you'll have to decide which color temp you are balancing for. Do you want the daylight to go blue but the tungsten look white... or the tungsten to go orange but the daylight look white.

500D stock is mainly for use in low-light daylight-balanced situations, which may or may not involve HMI's or other daylight-balanced sources (natural daylight, 5500K kinos, etc.) Being daylight-balanced, daylight sources should render close to neutral in color cast but tungsten sources will render orange-ish.

Color-correcting in post won't fix a shot where you've mixed two different color temperatures, although it may soften the difference a little.

• Premium Member
Cheers, Im getting it transfered to tape for editing. Can i just correct the color there? Do i have to overexpose 2 stops?

Hi,

Only overexpose 2 stops if you use the full blue correction. I have never tried to correct in telecine daylight film shot uncorrected. It would add noise if it works. I would try at least a 1/2 blue correction.

You might do better with a tungsten balanced stock.

Stephen

I suggest using daylight balanced fluorescent lighting for your interiors, and just gel whatever tungsten lights you use.

MP

I was about to say the same thing, I think that's great advice, you can even get some daylight balnanced spiral compact flo's for practicals.

But another thing that occurs to me is:

Open the curtains!!! :)

Yes, see what t-stop you can achieve with real daylight!

This is one of the reasons for a stock like 500D, if you are in a situation with large windows and a lot of light coming in, then you may be able to shoot 500D with the power of the sun. :)

love

Freya