4 Favourite Filters

Tim Terner

• Premium Member

I tend to use Tiffen's Low Contrast filters quite a lot. Recently I've also started using the newer Ultra Contrast. I've always had a soft spot for the Antique Suede series - they give such a nice sepia tone. But going to telecine coloured filters are less important.

When I can get it (which is about never) i like Arri's Varicon system to reduce contrast.

Guest Ken Maskrey

Black Pro Mist 1, Black Diffusion 1/2, 1/4 Fog when I use a fog machine, and some type of star filter.

Edited by Ken Maskrey

Guest Tim Partridge

85B, 85N6, 0.3ND and an optical flat!

Keep it simple!

I'd also take a box of homemade nets as they technically aren't filters. ;)

• Premium Member

Not sure where to draw the line regarding effect filters, but outside of basic color-correction & ND, and diopters & optical flats...

...then I'd say that a Pola and ND grad, and some sort of simple filter for mildly softening a close-up in an emergency, like a 1/4 Classic Soft or 1/2 Soft-FX.

If I wanted a diffused look for the whole project, if that was a possibility I had to prepare for, then I'd add a 1/8 & 1/4 ProMist or a 1 & 2 GlimmerGlass.

Favorite all-time effect filter is the 2 Fog, just because it was Geoffrey Unsworth's favorite filter. Have never found a use for one, but I have occasionally used a 1/2 Fog and even that seems heavy by today's standards.

A new favorite which I may start always carrying is the 1 & 2 Smoque, because it helps make inserts match smoked wide shots, plus has a pretty look similar to a cross between an UltraCon and Double-Fog.

• Premium Member

An optical flat is nothing, really... it's just clear glass, of high enough optical quality for filter use. Used to protect the front of the lens when shooting scenes with something flying through the air that might hit the lens, like squib explosions, dust & dirt flying around, etc.

hi

thanks david its called clear filter here

thanks

for video shooting my 4 are:

for film shooting

1/4 soft/fx

low contrast

pola

ND gruad .9

1/4 black pro mist

pola

1/4 white pro mist

low contrast

why one will take 85 fillter and not use daylight stoke???

Edited by ram shani

• Premium Member
So what is your point?

You are promoting dolly products on a thread entitled "4 favourite filters". I am glad you have a good business and wish you all the best but the company icons to the right have paid for the right to advertise (and help the upkeep of this site) and yet they havent chosen to post random messages on unconnected threads.

Ive heard that people use two polorisers sometimes as a form of ND. Is this a windup or is there fact in this?

When going for a specific look, I always try to achieve it in-camera if I can. Therefor I have a very costly collection of backups for my glassmasters.

1) Antique Suedes (usually #1)

2) Chocolates (#2)

3) Promist (1/2-1)

4) Fog (for a really good halo)