Cheapest 16mm pin registration cameras

John Adolfi

Would someone sharte with us the cheapest solutions for a pin registered 26mm camera. Also mention the need for it? Like the Canon Scoopic does not have a pin but I understand the lense is fantastic. Would not having a pin in this camera alter ones decission in purchasing a camera that could produce a great picture?

• Premium Member
Would someone sharte with us the cheapest solutions for a pin registered 26mm camera. Also mention the need for it? Like the Canon Scoopic does not have a pin but I understand the lense is fantastic. Would not having a pin in this camera alter ones decission in purchasing a camera that could produce a great picture?

Hi,

Mitchell pin registered 16mm cameras sell on Ebay for about $500. What doyou want to shoot?

Stephen

• Premium Member

The Scoopic has a permanently mounted cheap zoom lens on it -- I doubt it is very good but it may be adequate for what you want. The Scoopic is really a consumer Super-8 camera on steroids.

Most 16mm cameras use the pulldown claw to help register the film, especially since Super-16 only has perfs on one side. The image is usually pretty steady on cameras like the Aaton despite the lack of a registration pin due to the pressure plate, etc.

You'd have to use an old Mitchell probably, and it probably can only run regular double-perf 16mm stock if the pin is on the opposite side of the frame than the pulldown claw. Are you doing effects compositing work, is that why you need a pin-registered camera?

Guest shutter bug

although im not a fan of the scoopic in any way,i have to say the lens isnt cheap if its at all similar to the ds8 version. the ds8 zoom has something like 7 rare earth elements in the optical design. granted its only a single coated lens and an older design but it does put out rather good pictures. if the 16mm scoopic has a similar design then id expect to see good quality images out of it.ive even met a cinematogpher who used one a few years ago to get some shots on horseback due to its size, and they were quite happy with the results.i still sure as hell wouldnt get one.

The Scoopic has a permanently mounted cheap zoom lens on it -- I doubt it is very good but it may be adequate for what you want.

---I have used the Calarts Scoopic back when. The lens was better than an Angie 12-120mm.

Contrastier. Very snappy looking image.

---LV

Like the Canon Scoopic does not have a pin but I understand the lense is fantastic.

There are a couple different models of Scoopic. The lenses are not the same and some of them have a registration pin(like relatively rare "Sound Scoopic").

Would someone sharte with us the cheapest solutions for a pin registered 26mm camera.

Kinor-16 SX-2M.

16 mm PRO cine camera, reflex system, pin registrated, 30 m, 120 m film magazines,

electrical motor with systemof stabilizatin of speed.

You can see many letters about Kinor-16 on old topics.

If you need more details, and have questions, send me letter on e-mail

olex@a-teleport.com

• Premium Member

Arriflex 16S. Pin registration, built like a tank, the S/B can take any of the Arri Bayonet mount lenses, sync motor available, 1960's professional MOS 16mm camera, can be had on eBay from $700 to $1200.

-Tim

Would someone sharte with us the cheapest solutions for a pin registered 26mm camera.

I don't really know if they make 26mm cameras... :)

Sounds like a phony format to me.

Seriously though with the quick edit option on you can quickly check your mistakes

& then go back to fix them. It doesn't take that much effort.

Would not having a pin in the camera alter ones decission in purchasing a camera

that could produce a great picture?

Are you're asking us questions for a survey on pin-registered cams?

Cause that's what this sounds like.

Tell us you're problem or situation and you're specific needs

So we can better answer your question.

The early grey Scoopic with the 13-76 lens is the one to avoid. The 12.5-75 lens was a big improvement on later models.

As an owner of one Scoopic I and 2 "M"s :the lens on the M is quite nice . sharp, warm and contrasty

Unlike the "I" that was just bad.

Shot a fair amount of 2nd unit -matching ARRI SR2 footage rather perfectly -IMHO

I only wish I could afford to re-barrel the lens and mount it on my CP-GSMO!!

(oh yeah and that canon 1.5x extender is a magnificent piece of glass!)