Shoot Time with 400' of film

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much shooting time you have with 400' of 16mm film? assuming that you're shooting at 24 fps.

also, why are so many cameras sync'able at both 24fps and 25fps? what's the difference? why would one choose one over the other?

thanks!

• Premium Member
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much shooting time you have with 400' of 16mm film? assuming that you're shooting at 24 fps.

also, why are so many cameras sync'able at both 24fps and 25fps? what's the difference? why would one choose one over the other?

thanks!

Hi,

Nearly 11 minutes usable. 24 FPS is cinema 25FPS is PAL TV.

Stephen

thanks!

16mm shot at 24 frames per second runs at 36 feet per minute...so divide your total feet by 36 to get the running time.

Hi,

Nearly 11 minutes usable. 24 FPS is cinema 25FPS is PAL TV.

Stephen

thanks everyone! that helps. some receptionist from a processing lab told me that 400' 16mm rolls are about 30 minutes @ 24fps. that didn't sound right for some reason.

here's a follow up question: if i plan to shoot and telecine it and edit it digitally with sync sound, what fps should i film at? 24 or 25?

thanks everyone! that helps. some receptionist from a processing lab told me that 400' 16mm rolls are about 30 minutes @ 24fps. that didn't sound right for some reason.

here's a follow up question: if i plan to shoot and telecine it and edit it digitally with sync sound, what fps should i film at? 24 or 25?

If you're in a PAL country it's easier with 25 fps, US would be easier with 24 fps.

If you're in a PAL country it's easier with 25 fps, US would be easier with 24 fps.

If you are in North America (or any conuntry on Alternating Current) shoot at 24. If you are in Europe (or any country on Direct Current) use 25.

If you are in North America (or any conuntry on Alternating Current) shoot at 24. If you are in Europe (or any country on Direct Current) use 25.

Everyone uses AC. The US uses 60Hz, Europe 50Hz. So it's exactly two fields per frame here.