IBC footage...

Jim Jannard

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what Emanuel's native language is but I have no problem understanding him. He writes a lot like Arabic speakers do in English, very "flowerly" constructions that I find quite poetic.

And I'll guarantee his English is infinitely better than how I speak and/or write his native tongue, whatever it is. This sort of language bashing shows up on the Forum all the time - and always p*ss*s me off because my belief is it takes a lot of guts to publicly write anything in a language not your own.

Mate,

Are you serious, dont just say poop for the sake of it, how was I language bashing?? I clearly said I wasnt trying to be a dick and that the reason I wanted him to clarify the point was because it sounded interesting, but I just couldn't understand it, if you did, good for you -clever guy, dont start insinuating some kind of racist/prejudice motives on my part because you have the distance of the internet to do so, I guarantee if we were all talking face to face you would never dare to say poop like that!!! And Emanuel didn't get offended so why in god's name would you...mind your business my friend..dont try and look clever or worldly by saying things you know to be untrue. I made it very clear in my post that I wasn't trying to insult or denigrate Emanuel, that should have been good enough for you...and I warn you now that it is not kosher at all to insinuate any kind of prejudice or racism about anyone on a public forum as it might negatively affect their career...I wont take it from you or anyone so in future choose your words with more care.

Cheers.

• Premium Member
Mate,

Are you serious, dont just say poop for the sake of it, how was I language bashing?? Cheers.

Tomas,

Please note that my post was in reply was to Max Jacoby's which I thought was a bit snide in repeating a former forum member's comment concerning Emanuel's language (JM?). I didn't think you were language bashing, you made an honest comment that you didn't understand something Emanuel wrote, that's not slanderous in the least.

I pride myself on my ability to write English - but I cheat, I was born in California to a father whose family arrived here on the Mayflower from England. We've been speaking English since it was calved from Anglo-Saxon. And unlike Emanuel and many other Forum participants, I only speak that one language. They're superior to me in that they ARE multi-lingual.

Tomas,

Please note that my post was in reply was to Max Jacoby's which I thought was a bit snide in repeating a former forum member's comment concerning Emanuel's language (JM?). I didn't think you were language bashing, you made an honest comment that you didn't understand something Emanuel wrote, that's not slanderous in the least.

I pride myself on my ability to write English - but I cheat, I was born in California to a father whose family arrived here on the Mayflower from England. We've been speaking English since it was calved from Anglo-Saxon. And unlike Emanuel and many other Forum participants, I only speak that one language. They're superior to me in that they ARE multi-lingual.

Hal,

My sincerest apologies, total misunderstanding then, I retract my statement fully and appreciate the clarification.

Cheers.

They're superior to me in that they ARE multi-lingual.
There aren't superior people here or wherever. Just as the measure of the good will that we can demonstrate when we are called to it. Thanks for your input, Hal, as well.

I've found Emanuel's posts to be very insightful and I encourage him to continue to make future posts.

Árni Heimir

Thank you too, Árni. Edited by Mr. Emanuel A. Guedes

• Premium Member
The real Jim Murdoch in Scotland (with picture shown) never posted on this website. His identity was stolen and used by another person who didn't have the courage to post as himself.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am sure you are correct. There have been threads before where the question came up "Why doesn't anybody know this Jim Murdoch' He said he was UK based.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Just as the measure of the good will that we can demonstrate when we are called to it. i.

Agreed.

Thank you, Emanuel.

Thank you, Tomas.

Now let us all get this thread back to gabbing about RED! :)

• Premium Member
Please note that my post was in reply was to Max Jacoby's which I thought was a bit snide in repeating a former forum member's comment concerning Emanuel's language (JM?).

So you are accusing me of language bashing here? For your information, and I say this as someone who speaks 4 languages fluently and comes into daily contact with people who speak with an accent and never has a problem understanding them, I have never come accross someone who 'speaks' like Emmanuel. Such a huge vocabulary and such poor syntax like he exhibits do not sound very normal too me and I am obviously not the only one who has trouble understanding him. Hence the suspicion that he uses a translator programm.

And I want to make it perfectly clear that I have no problem whatsoever with making an effort to understand people who do not speak English (or any other language for that matter) very well, provided that they themselves make the same effort and not just write up a post in their own language and run it through a translator programm, the results of whom are spotty at best.

• Premium Member
So you are accusing me of language bashing here?........results of whom are spotty at best.

I was more bothered by you referring to outside authority than anything else, particularly since it seemed that "authority" might be the late, unlamented (IMO) JM. Emanuel may not be the most fluent English writer on this Forum, and might even be be using a translator program, but that doesn't mean he isn't worth reading. As I stated in an earlier post, I even find some of his language rather poetic.

Did you ever hear of an early machine intelligence computer program named "Eliza" or "Doctor Doctor"? If you can find a copy of it, try feeding Shylock's "Does not a Jew Bleed" speech from the Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" into it. I used to have a copy of it, and at one point it asked "Do you bleed because you are a Jew?" when I was feeding it MoV. It also came up with some amazing queries when fed e. e. cummings poetry. I forget what it did to "i carry your heart with me" but I vaguely remember it being remarkedly astute. I think I had an LSD flashback when Cameron Diaz as MAGGIE in "In Her Shoes" read it at the wedding.

In truth, machine intelligence with respect to language is still pretty primitive but it does have its moments. And let's be friends - even if I could be a bit envious at your language skills. :)

So you are accusing me of language bashing here? For your information, and I say this as someone who speaks 4 languages fluently and comes into daily contact with people who speak with an accent and never has a problem understanding them, I have never come accross someone who 'speaks' like Emmanuel. Such a huge vocabulary and such poor syntax like he exhibits do not sound very normal too me and I am obviously not the only one who has trouble understanding him. Hence the suspicion that he uses a translator programm.

And I want to make it perfectly clear that I have no problem whatsoever with making an effort to understand people who do not speak English (or any other language for that matter) very well, provided that they themselves make the same effort and not just write up a post in their own language and run it through a translator programm, the results of whom are spotty at best.

Mr. 4 languages,

What do you prefer?

First option:

We all already know you're the best! You give us absolute truths. :D

Do you want again? We already know you're the best. You give us absolute truths. :huh:

Is it good enough? :P

Second option :(:

The only problem I'm afraid that's what your rant behind your keyboard :ph34r: against (and far away) who doesn't harm others, it reminds... and speaks for itself and yourself.

Your words are clear enough to follow who you actually are.

<Last tip> Humbleness is a word that there isn't in any of your four languages, I believe. Or can you deny? <_<

• Premium Member
I was more bothered by you referring to outside authority than anything else, particularly since it seemed that "authority" might be the late, unlamented (IMO) JM.

Hi Hal

I only mentioned Jim Murdoch because he was the first to bring this up (and therby give him the credit for it). I didn't mean to suggest that what he said in his post and which I reiterated in mine was 'authorative' (after all only Emmanuel can clear this up and so far he hasn't), but merely a suspicion.

Cheers

Frankly speaking, Max Jacoby...

Or are you envious?... (I'm sorry but the Emanuel's posts are intellectual higher) Or are you racist?... Or have you any problem with those red letters below?...

Hi Hal

I only mentioned Jim Murdoch because he was the first to bring this up (and therby give him the credit for it). I didn't mean to suggest that what he said in his post and which I reiterated in mine was 'authorative' (after all only Emmanuel can clear this up and so far he hasn't), but merely a suspicion.

Cheers

I already answer your ridiculous suspicion:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=126852

If there are any kind of suspicions here it isn't around this non-sense topic that you subsidy.

I was more bothered by you referring to outside authority than anything else, particularly since it seemed that "authority" might be the late, unlamented (IMO) JM. Emanuel may not be the most fluent English writer on this Forum, and might even be be using a translator program, but that doesn't mean he isn't worth reading. As I stated in an earlier post, I even find some of his language rather poetic.

Did you ever hear of an early machine intelligence computer program named "Eliza" or "Doctor Doctor"? If you can find a copy of it, try feeding Shylock's "Does not a Jew Bleed" speech from the Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" into it. I used to have a copy of it, and at one point it asked "Do you bleed because you are a Jew?" when I was feeding it MoV. It also came up with some amazing queries when fed e. e. cummings poetry. I forget what it did to "i carry your heart with me" but I vaguely remember it being remarkedly astute. I think I had an LSD flashback when Cameron Diaz as MAGGIE in "In Her Shoes" read it at the wedding.

In truth, machine intelligence with respect to language is still pretty primitive but it does have its moments. And let's be friends - even if I could be a bit envious at your language skills. :)

Thank you for your support Hal. No, I'm not using any translator program. That's just the best english I can afford.

Or are you envious?... (I'm sorry but the Emanuel's posts are intellectual higher) Or are you racist?... Or have you any problem with those red letters below?...

I'm also grateful for your input Fabrizio. Aside the part you honored my name, it's sad but unfortunately I just can agree.

• Premium Member

Comeon guys, get off of Max Jacoby's back. I can never understand anything that Manny says. No one is insulting him, but comeon...don't act all pious and start throwing out accusations about people being racist. I would bet most anything that many, if not all, of you have insulted fast food workers or others who do not speak good English. Don't be a hypocrite or someone may call you on it one day.

I'd say the sorcery will become against the sorcerer.
Agreed.

Comeon guys, get off of Max Jacoby's back. I can never understand anything that Manny says. No one is insulting him, but comeon...don't act all pious and start throwing out accusations about people being racist. I would bet most anything that many, if not all, of you have insulted fast food workers or others who do not speak good English. Don't be a hypocrite or someone may call you on it one day.

Matthew (you remind me the Pasolini's character :) it's my favorite movie so please don't misunderstand my quote), on the subject of your post not on you, my grandmother and mother always taught me if you don't want to be wolf, don't try the beast's skin.

Mate,

Lay off the politicaly correct nonsense, does that make you feel pious or more progressive to use simplistic terms to attack someone who clearly doesn't deserve it, yeah maybe Max could have been a bit more understanding of Emanuel's extremely unorthodox use of english, but still do not call him a racist!!!, this is a public forum and that could affect people's perception of Max, in turn hindering his career, therefor you are actually breaking the law by accusing Max of racism without basis, and Max, if he was so inclined, could take legal action against you....choose your words more wisely pal...and dont play politically correct one-upsmanship on threads that are about Cameras, not who is the most understanding and accepting and therefor progressive and clever. Branding people with simplistic terms such as Racist is neither progressive nor clever.

And for the record apart from you and Hal I would bet not many people can understand Emanuel's posts, that doesn't mean he is in any way intelectually inferior to anyone, it is just a fact dictated by his use of syntax. But that doesn't mean he should stop posting, in fact if he posts more and people correct his mistakes (instead of pretending they dont exist to seem liberal, progressive and pious) his english will improve very quickly. BTW I know this to be true because English was not my first language, I was taught Dutch by my parents then learnt English from the kids in my primary school in the UK..if they had pretended to understand me I would still be speaking broken English myself.

Cheers.

• Premium Member

I think Patrizio is just taking the piss. His is certainly a very convincing imitation of Emmanuel, that's for sure! :-)

And for the record, if someone writes informative posts that I can learn something from then I don't care how good their English is, because I can get something out of it. But if on the other hand the person has nothing to contribute expect flowery expressions I do actually consider such posts to be a waste of my time.

Mate,

Lay off the politicaly correct nonsense, does that make you feel pious or more progressive to use simplistic terms to attack someone who clearly doesn't deserve it, yeah maybe Max could have been a bit more understanding of Emanuel's extremely unorthodox use of english, but still do not call him a racist!!!, this is a public forum and that could affect people's perception of Max, in turn hindering his career, therefor you are actually breaking the law by accusing Max of racism without basis, and Max, if he was so inclined, could take legal action against you....choose your words more wisely pal...and dont play politically correct one-upsmanship on threads that are about Cameras, not who is the most understanding and accepting and therefor progressive and clever. Branding people with simplistic terms such as Racist is neither progressive nor clever.

And for the record apart from you and Hal I would bet not many people can understand Emanuel's posts, that doesn't mean he is in any way intelectually inferior to anyone, it is just a fact dictated by his use of syntax. But that doesn't mean he should stop posting, in fact if he posts more and people correct his mistakes (instead of pretending they dont exist to seem liberal, progressive and pious) his english will improve very quickly. BTW I know this to be true because English was not my first language, I was taught Dutch by my parents then learnt English from the kids in my primary school in the UK..if they had pretended to understand me I would still be speaking broken English myself.

Cheers.

What a rant!

I asked, I typed "or" (three hypothesis, okay?), yes that's my opinion (why? isn't it allowed?), this guy called Jacoby has been what he has been when he writes what he writes.

Your mistake: I wasn't politically correct! You are when you are allowing his silly posts totally off-topic when he isn't posting against red camera being Jim Murdoch's apprentice.

I think Patrizio is just taking the piss. His is certainly a very convincing imitation of Emmanuel, that's for sure! :-)

And for the record, if someone writes informative posts that I can learn something from then I don't care how good their English is, because I can get something out of it. But if on the other hand the person has nothing to contribute expect flowery expressions I do actually consider such posts to be a waste of my time.

You have a good medicine: don't read! Because the only one that you know is to attack cowardly behind your keyboard, far away from me. If you have anything against me please PM me and we can solve your problem personally, OK? But let's be on-topic, right? Isn't it enough?

I come to forums for information and exploring information. Max has provided many posts with actual information which wasn't wrapped in any strange package of unmotivated anomosity.

Attacking someone's personality belongs in "Off Topic" or a Private Message, not the HD Only > RED forum.

Let's not waste the time of people trying to follow up on information about Red's IBC footage with pages of bickering.

I come to forums for information and exploring information. Max has provided many posts with actual information which wasn't wrapped in any strange package of unmotivated anomosity.

Attacking someone's personality belongs in "Off Topic" or a Private Message, not the HD Only > RED forum.

Let's not waste the time of people trying to follow up on information about Red's IBC footage with pages of bickering.

I've been trying but there is actually some "strange package of unmotivated animosity" as recent and old (at same time) back story. I already posted in order to stop it to PM box and to re-start on topic. Edited by Mr. Emanuel A. Guedes