1 minute of 35mm

Miguel Bunster

Hi thanks for the replys!

Well most was 24 fps but the water was 120 fps....and a shot fo her with warm curtains and desert outside was a mix of 40 fps and 33 etc...one shot was slow down to 70% (originally 24fps) and all expect exterios was insde a classroom lit mostly with 2k fire starter, 2 k fresnel midgets etc with diverse gels...the exposure ratios I dont remeber because it was lit by eye and then i jsut picked s pot i knew i wanted on a certain place in exposure and the rest was going to fall where i wanted it was 5279 process normally. I as well used a Canon rebel XT to see a visisual referene whic i sent to the lab.

Thanks!

Miguel

• Premium Member

That's 35mm? No offense but the whole thing looked a bit flat and looked sort of DVish. Your artistic choice of shots were cool but the scenes didnt look very rich in texture. In fact, some shots looked a bit blown out. I also expected more skin detail for 35mm. I honestly have seen 16mm shots that were much sharper and smoother.

Edited by M.W.Phillips

That's 35mm? No offense but the whole thing looked a bit flat and looked sort of DVish. Your artistic choice of shots were cool but the scenes didnt look very rich in texture. In fact, some shots looked a bit blown out. I also expected more skin detail for 35mm. I honestly have seen 16mm shots that were much sharper and smoother.

I would be careful of judging work compressed for the internet. I would use video on the internet as a guide, in the same way a video tap is used on a film shoot. Compressing a movie, song or photograph basically means that information is being thrown out. Watching this film or any other on a screen in a theatre would have a significantly different quality and experience.

Best

Tim

PS No I don't know the filmmaker but have edited and compressd plenty of my own material shot in film and seen how digital artifacts and compression starts to degrade an image from home made DVDs to Quicktime and Flash movies.

Edited by heel_e

well the video inline is a reference only.....the original one is rich and i am happy with it....black level is boosted up when compressed, detail went to hell etc....but if anyone wants to see a better version let me know it will just be a LOT bigger...

The grainy shots was somethign I wanted if you see some are the same shot i just made a 50% or 80% zoom in telecine which i like a lot i gives a nice feeling to it but thats a choice only. Actually contrast of orignal shots is pretty high it just got flat here.

Thanks for all the comments when I get a final cut i willupload it.

well as well if any1 has the time there is my reel online on www.mb-dp.com two feature films I did are not there yet.

Best

Miguel

What does the "M" stand for in your name? (Which I thought was supposed to be a full name at this point) I wanted to look you and your resume up on IMDB but M.W. turns up nothing. Thanks!

It looked good but the compression (even on the high) was very distracting. :(

What did you compress this from? If you have a digi-beta or even DV copy I would suggest recompressing with H264 at a higher bit-rate to really show off the 35mm.

I like the shot of the man in shadows crouching below the window. You only could see the highlights of his face and shoulders. :ph34r:

• Premium Member
What does the "M" stand for in your name? (Which I thought was supposed to be a full name at this point) I wanted to look you and your resume up on IMDB but M.W. turns up nothing. Thanks!

M stands for Matthew and my name was updated because Matthew Phillips was already taken on this forum. As far as looking up my resume, it's no use to do that as I haven't made one for imdb. I make indie films for the love of filmmaking, not to get a long list of stuff on imdb. As far as I know, I don;t have a page. Don't really need one, I suppose. One of my teachers back in college made films for 20 years for the love of filmmaking, made Sundance, Paris, Cannes, Toronto, about every fest you can think of and is not listed in imdb. Sometimes I think that people put themselves up there which, to me, defeats the purpose. I thought the point was that you had a credit of interest to the public.

M stands for Matthew and my name was updated because Matthew Phillips was already taken on this forum. As far as looking up my resume, it's no use to do that as I haven't made one for imdb. I make indie films for the love of filmmaking, not to get a long list of stuff on imdb. As far as I know, I don;t have a page. Don't really need one, I suppose. One of my teachers back in college made films for 20 years for the love of filmmaking, made Sundance, Paris, Cannes, Toronto, about every fest you can think of and is not listed in imdb. Sometimes I think that people put themselves up there which, to me, defeats the purpose. I thought the point was that you had a credit of interest to the public.

No problem. :) I was just curious as to the kind of work you do because you seem to go out of your way to "insult"(?) video whenever you can. Just thought maybe you have stock in Kodak or something. ;)

As far as IMDB goes, I'm not sure who runs it, but I don't think that people can "make a page" for themselves. I was as surprised as anyone to find that I had a listing. Somebody somewhere has some time on their hands as they comb through credits of almost everything out there. I don't know how they get their information but POOF, there it is! :)

• Premium Member
No problem. :) I was just curious as to the kind of work you do because you seem to go out of your way to "insult"(?) video whenever you can. Just thought maybe you have stock in Kodak or something. ;)

As far as IMDB goes, I'm not sure who runs it, but I don't think that people can "make a page" for themselves. I was as surprised as anyone to find that I had a listing. Somebody somewhere has some time on their hands as they comb through credits of almost everything out there. I don't know how they get their information but POOF, there it is! :)

I think you take what I say wrong. I do not insult video really. In fact, my first shorts that I ever did were all shot on video. I used to be a serious digi-head who thought that film was dead because people like me couldnt afford it, or at least didnt think we could. I think what people can do with digital now is just light years ahead of what they could say 20 years ago. We now have 24P cameras at no-budget levels which is incredible. The latitude of video is increasing as well which is good news for many.

I was merely commenting that this clip, with its compression and all, looked different than most 35mm clips I have seen, compressed or not. I mean, when I watch movie trailers, they are just as compressed, but do not look like that. I cannot speak from experience of shooting on 35mm as I have never had THAT much money available as to shoot on that medium. I am merely commenting from watching others who have posted 35 footage.

• Premium Member
What did you compress this from? If you have a digi-beta or even DV copy I would suggest recompressing with H264 at a higher bit-rate to really show off the 35mm.

I would have to agree with Matt, perhaps encoding it with a better codec would help (H264 or Sorenson 3 are pretty good). The images look great though if you can get rid of the interlace & compression artifacts.

What are the Malcom McDowell clips from (just curious)?

• 3 weeks later...