How to get into the ASC the easy way.

Matthew Buick

How do you do that, I hear you ask, well, it's simple.

STEP 1 : Just march into The White House, and over a few spiked drinks, ( make sure the President gets those ), convince him you're the best dictator America will ever have.

STEP 2 : Once you have gained power of the richest (and stupidest) country on Earth, ask the ASC nicely if they'll let you in, if they say no, ask a bit harder, try this 3 times, you will probably be unsuccesful.

NOTE : ONLY FOLLOW THROUGH STAGE 3 IF YOU WERE UNSUCEESFUL AT GETTING IN AT THE FIRST TRY.

STEP 3 : Tell the ASC you will blow up the planet if they do not let you in, ( blow up the planet only as a last resort ), before you know it, you'll be in the most presidgeous Cinematography Society on Earth ( if you havent blown it up first, I suggest, if you get itchy fingers, find another large red button to press, The White House must have loads, if you choose any alarm button, disable the alarm system first, you don't want to attract attention) anyway, good luck, and don't forget that evil laugh.

MWAH HA HA.

On a more serious note.....How "do" you get in the ASC? I'm curious.

Because I know there's the IATSE 600....and then there's IATSE 600 + ASC. Like the good ole' boys country club or something. Skull & Bones.

For some odd reason, I seem to respect/listen to/revere DP's that have " , ASC" after their name more then DP's that don't. Don't ask me why, it's a psychological thing.

So what are the requirements? As a producer, I'm curious.

• Premium Member
STEP 3 : Tell the ASC you will blow up the planet if they do not let you in, ( blow up the planet only as a last resort ), before you know it, you'll be in the most presidgeous Cinematography Society on Earth ( if you havent blown it up first, I suggest, if you get itchy fingers, find another large red button to press, The White House must have loads, if you choose any alarm button, disable the alarm system first, you don't want to attract attention) anyway, good luck, and don't forget that evil laugh.

Matthew,

Take the scenario you've invented, write a script about it, assemble cast and crew, shoot it in 30 days, come in under budget, win an award or two for cinematography, shoot another twentyfive or so features, gain a reputation for being professional on and off the set..................then the ASC may call you and invite you in.

Ah, to be 15 and retarded again.

I think the best way is just to work your ass off, learn everything you can, perfect your craft to the point where you deserve to be in ASC. Thats my plan anyway. Good luck getting those drinks to the president.

(and the british say were violent, undisiplined people. ha!)

"The ASC is not a labor union or a guild, but an educational, cultural and professional organization. Membership is by invitation to those actively engaged as directors of photography and have demonstrated outstanding ability. ASC membership has become one of the highest honors that can be bestowed upon a professional cinematographer - a mark of prestige and excellence."

That is in the first few pages of every issue of AC. Also in the back of each issue, in the "ASC Close-up" section, you will find that a part of membership is being recommended by current members.

• Premium Member

Not to denegrate the ASC or any other organization like DGA or SAG, but arent we more advanced as a society than to trip over foolish good ole boy networks. Seriously, I thought, at least in the USA, that we werent suppose to respect titles that lord one person over the other. I dont think being a member of any organization proves anything. It's just as silly as respecting someone more because they went to Harvard instead of Berkeley. I dont much respect Lucas as a filmmaker for anything other than his unwillingness to kiss the DGAs behind. I am glad that him, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarentino have chosen not to continue in something so archaic and foolish as a guild of Directors. Why not just be a Freemason and get it over with?

Hey mate, Matthews good folk...just young thats all. He is 15, I believe.

That is true, I am 15, anyway, who wants to be in this secret scheme with me, what will happen is :

I will become the first Dictator of America, after about a week Matthew Buick ASC will resign as Ruler, and George Bush will take over as President again, that's where you come in, over spiked tea, you will convince Bush that you're the best dictator America will ever have, you will have one week to get into the ASC using the strategy I have formulated, when you're in you will pass America over to Bush again for the next person to come through.

- Matthew Buick

P.S I would like to announce I am ''employing'' Evil Henchmen, anybody on Earth can become one all you have to do is ask.

MWAH HA HA.

There is an apples and oranges issue with comparing the DGA and the ASC. The DGA is a union, like Local 600, whereas the ASC is strictly an honorary organization. Sure, there is an overlap between the DGA being a labor union and being viewed as a "club" and the ASC being an honorary organization and setting the standards for the industry, but the primary goals of each are separate. The DGA, at its base level, is to directors as Local 600 is to camera technicians.

On a more serious note.....How "do" you get in the ASC? I'm curious.

Official entry into the ASC is very tedios and time-consuming, what you do is :

You have to shoot a particularly outstanding piece of Cinematography, if it is outstanding enough the ASC will call you to a meeting to talk about stuff, the ASC commitee then submits your name, and for 30 days and 30 nights any ASC member will have a chance to oppose the commitee, and if so, state their reasons,

if no one opposes or they are unsuccesful in opposing you will be called to a meeting to initiate you.

And they all lived happily ever after.

THE END.

Official entry into the ASC is very tedios and time-consuming, what you do is :

You have to shoot a particularly outstanding piece of Cinematography, if it is outstanding enough the ASC will call you to a meeting to talk about stuff, the ASC commitee then submits your name, and for 30 days and 30 nights any ASC member will have a chance to oppose the commitee, and if so, state their reasons,

if no one opposes or they are unsuccesful in opposing you will be called to a meeting to initiate you.

And they all lived happily ever after.

THE END.

Thankyou for sharing your in-depth knowledge of the ASC with us. This has truly been an educational thread.

Now, I think it's probably past your bedtime, and it's a school night. Off you pop. G'night.