Decent Cinematography Books

Matthew Buick

• Premium Member
Can anyone recommend a good book on cinematography for a total n00b like me to

"Cinematography" 3d Edition is one of the best all around books, it covers the basics of everything.

http://www.theasc.com/cgibin/store/acsstor...catalogno=11239

You'll recognize one of the author's names.

The big list of books is a little intimidating.

I liked:

- New Cinematographers (for the pretty photos and recent DPs)

- Contemporary Cinematographers: On their art (fun read)

Related:

- Set Lighting Techicians Handbook (Good reference for self-Gaffing)

- Camera Assistant : A Complete Professional Handbook (Good reference for self-AC)

Also:

- Breaking In : How 20 Film Directors Got their Start & The Mind of the Modern Movie Maker. These two are about directors but several of them started as DP's.

- Strike the Baby and Kill the Blonde (You will know every term in this from a week on set but its fun anyway)

These are my favorites so far, I'm still reading more.

Matt

I have cinematography 2d edition (in worse for the wear condition, after 10 years of reading it) and want to know if its worth buying the 3d edition. The 2d edition is slightly outdated, it has no info of newer cameras, film stocks or post solutions (though the chapter on film editing is quite insightful, for someone like me of the digital era.)

Also it obviously doesn't have Mullen's name attached to it. Does david have any good points in there that makes buying the 3d edition worth it, or any updated info that makes it valuable? It was my first book on cinematography, and to this day is one of my go to book for technical info. I am sure I have absorbed all the info that book has to offer, but would gladly rebuy it if the 3d edition has enough new material for me to pour over.

• Premium Member
Also it obviously doesn't have Mullen's name attached to it. Does david have any good points in there that makes buying the 3d edition worth it, or any updated info that makes it valuable? It was my first book on cinematography, and to this day is one of my go to book for technical info. I am sure I have absorbed all the info that book has to offer, but would gladly rebuy it if the 3d edition has enough new material for me to pour over.

It's about 25% new stuff -- the camera list was updated, but that was no big deal. Mainly I added a chapter on post-production lab processes, image manipulation, and D.I. (in general terms), talked about NLE editing and digital sound recording, and updated the lighting chapter to be more current. A few of the basic facts about stocks, lenses, etc. were smoothed over a little by me.

• Premium Member

Suggest this book for use along with all the standard texts,manuals suggested here.

"Francois Truffaut at Work", by Carole Le Berre(Phaidon) 2005

La Nuit americaine (1973)

Day for Night

L' Homme qui aimait les femmes (1977)

The Man Who Loved Women

Check out interior lighting of car,camera angles,framing(The Man Who Loved Women)

Greg Gross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Books I have found really helpful:

Lighting for Film and Digital Cinematography (with InfoTrac) by Dave Viera and Maria Viera

Reflections: Twenty-One Cinematographers At Work by Benjamin Bergery

Film Lighting by Kris Malkiewicz

Technique of Lighting for Television and Film (The Library of Communication Techniques) by Gerald Millerson

In the order above is quite good as well as it goes from simple but straightfoward at the first book to very in-depth by the fourth.

Lighting for Location Motion Pictures by Alan J. Ritsko

is also quite good but a little old and out of print I think.

• Premium Member

I like Doug Hart's "Assistant Cameraman" a lot, as a NooB Cinematographer you'll be doing for yourself all the things that an AC on a full crew does. Doug's book will be real helpful to you, he's a very clear writer and I think you'll like the book. I found my copy on bookfinder.com for $26! :)

Guest Aaron Farrugia

cinematography by blain brown

DEFINATLY reflections (one of the best reads ive had on the subject) great to see all the different views and approaches

the camera assistant handbook was awsome too

and once you get to know alot of the terms then grab yourself a copy of American cinematographer every month

• 3 months later...

Painting with Light by Alton: Haha funny thats the first book on cinematography I ever read and it definately teaches us alot about blocking for actors but the book is all about pre-technicolour lighting (if i remember rightly) Dont get me wrong its an amazing book but since most of us student cinematographers are shooting DV I would suggest Digital Cinematography by Paul Wheeler.

Alton is definately a worthy read though and I remember the lighting diagrams were fantastic although sometimes a little politically incorrect i.e. the chapter on 'lighting coloured people' in which Alton uses the stereotypical 'Mammy' as an example. Different time I suppose.

I have read

Blain Brown: Cinematography theory and practice

Micheal Rabiger: Directing Techniques and esthetics

ASC: selected tables and charts

Paul Wheeler: Digital cinematography

Screencraft: Cinematography

but im only a student so i cant comment on the value of these books nor would I dare to, I have found them all usefull as a starting point on a long road.

Kind regards

David

I just finished reaing "painting with Light" the other day and I thought it was great. I have been looking at the world differently ever since. I now know why the shampoo bottles in my bathroom look so beautiful against the tiles at a certain time of day when the shower steams up the mirror!!. I had never bothered to break it down before - and I'm a bit ashamed because I've been making films for years.

It has it's funny dated moments but I think it is all the more inspiring for its excentricity - the werd almost metaphysical chapter about light as a musical scale and stuff at the end. and the chapter on how women could be so much more attractive if only they understood where to be at what time of day. Ridiculous - but also brilliantly imaginative.

It is very illuminating about the mind of a filmmaker knocking films out and really being business like too. Where he describes how we light women to beautify them and men to emphasise their individulity. He doesn't question the logic of course but it is still the approach people take and I think there's an opportunity there for someone to challenge that in their style.

The introduction says Alton was a bit of a rebel and an outsider which makes me like him already.

And sure,

He gets technical about dated technology. But if you are a student or just generally aren't working somewhere where you have great means then references to "Duarc" lights are about as useful as talk of "HMI"s so it really makes no odds (in my mind anyway). It Just amazing to have my eyes opened to qualities of light.

Sorry to ramble on. I could go on but i realise here probably isn't the place. I just finished it and it made a big impact. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts though.

Matthew, if you want to borrow it i noticed you live in Newcastle - come to the screening of Touki Bouki on Thursday night at the Star and Shadow cinema and grab it off me - I'll be in the projection booth. (and apologies if we already know each other!!)

Mat

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

books I'm missing so far:

directing: shot by shot &

film directing: cinematic motion

Both by Steven D. Katz

I liked these, especially the first one. And one more total beginners, like I was a couple of years ago:

The Filmmakers Handbook

by Steven Ascher & Edward Pincus.

I also have a couple more, but these are either on the list or in this thread already...

Best regards & have fun reading, David