16mm neg transfer to minidv?

kelly tippett

I noticed some deals on fuji 16mm negative recans. Seems 16mm tri-x reversal is hard to come by on short ends and recans.

Can i shoot the negative, have it processed, then have it transfered like you can with reversal?

(And is Fuji 16mm film harder to get developed than kodaks?) I wouldn't think it is but had to ask.

• Premium Member
I noticed some deals on fuji 16mm negative recans. Seems 16mm tri-x reversal is hard to come by on short ends and recans.

Can i shoot the negative, have it processed, then have it transfered like you can with reversal?

Yep.

(And is Fuji 16mm film harder to get developed than kodaks?) I wouldn't think it is but had to ask.

Nope.

• Premium Member

I would bet that brand new Tri-X reversal ($18.95 per 100' roll from Kodak last time I looked) would still be cheaper than color negative Fuji 16mm recans and shortends unless they are giving them away.

Modern negative stocks from Fuji and Kodak use the same development process so no worries on that... and its easier to find negative film labs than ones who still do black & white.

Check out negative stocks if you haven't already, you'll be impressed with how they look. Also, negative B&W stocks look great too, I really like Kodak Double-X (not to be confused with Triple-X I guess).

• Premium Member

....here is a current Kodak pricelist spreadsheet that might help you choose a stock:

http://www.box.net/public/frmc4nl173

For 16mm color neg xfers on a workprinter, I suggest contacting Justin Lovell at Frame Discreet in Toronto. I think his system is now configured for this..

http://www.framediscreet.com/super8mmtransfers.htm

Steve