Clapper loading

Guest James Westbrook

Yeah, that'd be barking up the wrong tree! :D

So does that mean unloading a mag is the eqivalent of changing a dirty diaper?

Yes rory - only you have to do it in the dark, which makes it more difficult and dropping it on the ground will land you in a lot more poop than a diper would! :D

• Premium Member
You guys are all gonna laugh at me, but I love the way mags smell. I mean, not to the point where I sit there with my nose buried in the takeup side of an Aaton XTR mag when I should be doing my job, but, you know, it's a good smell.

I don't want to laugh at you, I want to marry you. But my wife might object. So let's just say an AC who loves the smell of magazines is right up there with Robert Duvall loving the smell of napalm in the morning.

not to the point where I sit there with my nose buried in the takeup side of an Aaton XTR mag

Of course not. The supply side smells so much fresher.

I agree though, the smell of a newly opened can is better than fresh air and roses. Of course I'm also addicted to the smell of photo fixer, so maybe I've just got substance abuse issues.

Ah, the smell of raw film stock: smells of opportunities.

The paperwork: unfortunately the trail follows everyone, not just the clapper loader.

One advantage is that you can work for more people than if you're a DP. Also, it's a good way of building up contacts and seeing how other people work.

Smells of oh-christ-how-much-is-this-costing-I'm-in-way-over-my-head.

Which is why when people are screwing around during a take (or we're screening wasteful footage during transfer) I've adopted the mantra:

"50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents, 50 cents..."*

Eventually people start realizing that that's how much money is passing thru the gate every second!

*Disclaimer: Price reflects 35mm shortend/recan, cost may vary based on production + location.

Guest Stephen Murphy
I always liked clapper loading, because it allowed me to be on set all the time and to observe other people at work.

Couldnt agree more. As an assistant I got to work with and learn from some amazing DP's and Operators and some terrible ones too. And working as an assistant in commercials ment i got to play with the newest toys and realise what tool were good for what application. Working as a camera assistant is a great learning experience for anyone who wants to operate and or light.

Fun?

I always liked clapper loading, because it allowed me to be on set all the time and to observe other people at work.

Oh don't get me wrong I'd do it again any place any time if someone asked me. It's a brilliant opportunity. But it's still pretty stressfull. Being 'on the ball' for hours straight, you have to be there on the ready so when you hear 'slates up', you have the slate prepared and ready to put up.

And making a single mistake will screw things up all the way down the line.

On my recent film I asked a friend to do the slates, trouble is, he'd never made a film before. At times I caught myself raising my voice with him a little because he didn't have it prepared and more importantly wasn't shutting up when we were going for takes.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Guest Stephen Murphy
But it's still pretty stressfull. Being 'on the ball' for hours straight, you have to be there on the ready so when you hear 'slates up', you have the slate prepared and ready to put up.

It always perplexes me when people are surprised that camera assisting is a difficult job. Of course its difficult, and its not for everyone - its also one of the most important jobs on the set, and often undervalued, especially the 2nd AC/Clapper-Loader.

I often think college students would benefit greatly from being thought by experienced camera assistants in addition to DP's. Being a good camera assistant is an art and a craft and its a great discipline to learn.

haha..yeah you've gotta start somewhere if you want to be in camera. I agree being a loader sucks but the effort is well worth it when you see the finished product. Nothing in my mind looks better than film. Remember whether you are a loader or clapper (aka 2nd AC) you are still a key player in the filmmaking process. No one should or would rush the loader (they'd be a fool) cuz if that film is improperly loaded on the camera/mag everyone is screwed! For the clappers, the editors (sync) would love you,really; you'd save them an arm and even at times, a leg.

In an attempt to get out of "corporate' video and low quality crappy productions and into film, drama and general high quality broadcast, I decided to set out as a 1st and 2nd AC.

I recently completed a short 4-day 16mm film as a clapper loader....and it sucked. The pressures of loading mags all day, the heart stopping moments when you think you might have screwed up. Having to log every shot, fill out neg report sheets, man it's boring!! The worst thing is having to watch someone else operate a lovely SR while u have you hands in a changing bag all day.

I don't mind focus pulling as much, it's more hands on and at least you get to sit next to a camera and be on the action. I don't regret doing it, and I learnt loads. But never again!!

It's just as well that I?m having more success going straight to camera operator and DOP. I have a few 16mm projects coming up and have completed a few really good projects. I'm still doing the corporate stuff for the good money and will continue to focus pull so I can learn more from some top Dp's but my clapper board is going on ebay LOL!!!

I spoke to some guy who has been loading for like 7 years - I have no idea how he does it!!

Cheers

• Premium Member
But it's still pretty stressfull. Being 'on the ball' for hours straight, you have to be there on the ready so when you hear 'slates up', you have the slate prepared and ready to put up.

This is true of many, if not most, of the jobs on set. Loading and/or 2nding is great training. The work doesn't get any less stressful when you're a 1st, operator, or DP.

I find film making to be a mixture of emotion. At times you feel stressed out, and that you hate the film you're making, but at other times you're having a great laugh with the others involved. But when it's all over, you almost regret rushing things and shouting at people because you were sick of it, you miss it in a way.

Like most jobs I suppose.

(Not that I've been on many films sets where I've truly missed the work and the people, it was only on that series I shot a few years ago that I became 'attached' in any way)