CSI miami look - with limitations

Lav Bodnaruk

hey hey,

hope you can help me out with this one :D

I've got a short coming up, set in the sunshine lit back yard

(same as the back yard scene from my feature film's preview)

1390842404_l.jpg

you can view the preview here: http://www.translationthemovie.com

No lights have yet been booked (but can get anything I need - as long as the budget allows).

Got some short ends of 500T (around 600ft all up) and a can of 250D, 16mm Kodak.

The 'look' I'd like to achieve is that of CSI Miami.

I've been trying to find a photo that captures that look, but haven't found anything that hits the nail on the head. Basically, I am interested in utilizing what I already have (500T) in achieving that signature look... those saturated colours;

Any suggestions, tips on which lights to get? filters?

Thanks a bunch!

bscap039.jpg

hey

maybe 500 is a bit too fast for bright daylight use, especially if you wanna emulate the finer grain look of CSI. i would use 250 and rate it 200, and if you can afford it do skip bleach the film in the lab. i dont think they do it in CSI but that would definitely help you to get a overall higher contrast, saturated colors and crush the blacks. if youre in a tight budget you can always saturate the colors in post. remember that it also comes down to lighting, they use a lot of bright top backlight and soft keylight on the faces.

hope this helps

Freddie

hey

maybe 500 is a bit too fast for bright daylight use, especially if you wanna emulate the finer grain look of CSI. i would use 250 and rate it 200, and if you can afford it do skip bleach the film in the lab. i dont think they do it in CSI but that would definitely help you to get a overall higher contrast, saturated colors and crush the blacks. if youre in a tight budget you can always saturate the colors in post. remember that it also comes down to lighting, they use a lot of bright top backlight and soft keylight on the faces.

hope this helps

Freddie

Actually, Skip Bleach will desaturate the colours., and will look very different from the still. If you want saturated color and rich blacks, overexpose by 2/3 stop and print down.

The still that you've posted actually has a rather pastel quality to it, rather than highly saturated. Either way it's easily obtainable in telecine.

Thanks for the input guys!

I agree with Stuart and think that skipping bleach wont do the 'signature' CSI Miami look that I am after, but Ill definitely take the lighting tip that Freddie mentions.

Overexposing by 2/3 of the stop and printing down makes sense, although I am still not certain that might be all that I need to achieve that 'signature' CSI Miami look. Plus, will I be able to pull it of with 500T?

The still above is not quite as saturated as most of their shots are, but as I mentioned in the original post, I just wasn't able to find any better once... here is another I tracked down.

csimiami001.jpg

Thanks guys!

just found this one... great background

kmovie_image_22.jpg

and more of them here: http://www.kevingage.com/movies/csi-miami.php

Edited by Lav Bodnaruk

Guest Stephen Murphy
mmmh, sorry if i gave a wrong tip! but when i skip bleached my negative, i used 200t, i definitely got more contrast and richer blacks. i was sure that happened with the bleach bypass process

Freddie

more contrast and richer blacks yes, but not more saturation; regardless of what stock you shoot on bleach bypass on the neg will desauturate your images.

although it has a warm feeling, the picture of CSI you attached doesn't look very saturated to me. It's more the shallow DOF that's intriguing. As I remember CSI, they often use colored grades (maybe tobacco) for the sky on outdoor wide-shots... I haven't seen the show for a while, don't know If they still do that...

500...too fast for bright australian sunlight, but thats my humble opinion.

yep, heavy ND needed...

maybe something like a light chocolate, coral or tangerine filter for the warmth. To me some shots of CSI look like soft keylight and some diffusion (maybe Black Pro-Mist or Black Diff), but I can't really tell, I'm actually no DOP... :lol:

Thank you guys!

This has given me plenty to think about. I sort of see that my best option to getting that look is to change the stock I will be using, put a big silk over the scene and maybe see which filter (perhaps Pola filter as Andres mentioned or light Chocolate, Coral or Tangerine filter for warmth as Bernhard mentioned) might best suit the job... then leave it for heavy colour grade at the telecine.

I might see what my mate from Panavision suggests too, as far as the filters go;

Thanks!

Keep in mind that CSI is shot for television. That means they could have shot it one way, and completely changed the look in post. Remember that shows meant for television, or films using a D.I. process for that matter, aren't limited to photochemically achieved looks. In fact, the whole concept of "achieving the look in camera" is obsolete, and in my humble opinion, very limiting. Of course, if you're worried about getting fired off a show and having the producer come up with the look in post, then be my guest -- bake it into the negative. However, for the most flexibility, you should shoot as low-contrast and "muddy" as possible, utilizing the high dynamic range of the negative to capture and store as much information about the scene as possible.

Here's an example of capturing all the information in the scene (the original is pretty muddy and ugly, huh?) and then extracting portions of that information to achieve your desired look. All in the comfort of an air-conditioned room without people bothering you. And by the way, you don't need a gimmicky tool like Magic Bullet to do this -- you can do the same thing in After Effects with its stock plugins:

grading_examples.jpg

Hi,

I'm not sure she'll thank you for the bleach bypass.

Phil

HE HE HE

was thinking the same thing when i saw that girl...

Especially since one of the members recommended that all i needed for the "CSI Miami look" was the bleach bypass!

If that would have been my outcome, I'd be shot! :D

I think I might just stick to 'muddy' look, which gets worked on in post.

HE HE HE

was thinking the same thing when i saw that girl...

Especially since one of the members recommended that all i needed for the "CSI Miami look" was the bleach bypass!

If that would have been my outcome, I'd be shot! :D

I think I might just stick to 'muddy' look, which gets worked on in post.

maybe you got me wrong mate, all i said was to overexpose your stock 2/3rds of a stop and then bring it down in telecine (look back, i specifically told you to rate a 250 ASA stock 200ASA). i did also tell you to use bleach bypass, but i misunderstood your post at the beginning when you said "signature" look, i thought you wanted a very particular look, not necessarily EXACLTY the same one of CSI: i even told you that i didnt think they do bleach bypass on CSI!

Edited by freddie bonfanti

hey Freddie,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Perhaps all that stuck in my mind from your post was exactly that term "bleach bypass" and not the rest of the post as that was what I was unfamiliar with. I have since inquired about it a bit...

Bleach bypass on its own definitely wasn't the formula for the signature CSI Miami look, but I see now you didn't say that mate... again, my apologies.

Cheers,

Edited by Lav Bodnaruk