How many films do you watch?

Daniel Smith

Hi Dan , when i was your age went to the cinema at least a week , I saw " The Good the Bad and the Ugly" 7 times in the first week , no more than that , sat through next showing without leaving seat and paying , same with "The Great Escape " couldnt get enough of Panavision and Color By DELUXE .John Holland , London.

On the big screen ? probably about 1 every two months ... Until the mid year film fest when I have on occasion watched on average 4.5 films a day for two weeks (63 films or so) - I work on it, so dont have to pay (a blessing)

I suppose that makes it about 7+63 = 70 films a year - about 6.8 films a month averaged

More than I thought - then theres the DVD's and telly - I'm a bit ill a the moment so have been home, for the last six nights its been the original star wars trilogy and LOTR... So if you're counting TV reruns I wouldn't want to take a stab...

poop ! - scary - heaps...

In the last two years I've been taking it easy at the film fest though and being a bit more picky which means missing out on more pleasant surprises and exposing myself to more surprise disappointments - ah well...

• Premium Member

I see about 50 to 70 films in theaters per year on average -- used to be more like 100.

DVD watching is more uneven because I mostly like to rewatch parts of movies in my DVD collection. I probably only see 20 new movies a year on DVD (meaning sit through an entire movie, old or new, that I haven't seen before.)

• Premium Member

Maybe it's a generational thing... but I try to hold out and wait for a classic movie to come to a theater in order to watch it projected on a big screen with an audience, which is why I hadn't seen Renoir's "Rules of the Game" until this weekend. But I will rent some less-famous old move on DVD and watch it that way.

Guest Alex Taylor
Maybe it's a generational thing... but I try to hold out and wait for a classic movie to come to a theater in order to watch it projected on a big screen with an audience, which is why I hadn't seen Renoir's "Rules of the Game" until this weekend. But I will rent some less-famous old move on DVD and watch it that way.

I'm still waiting for the day when I can see a print of Apocalypse Now - it's the film that got me into filmmaking and I've wanted to see it projected ever since - preferrably the 70mm version, but the chances are slim!

I probably watch 2-3 movies per week on DVD - I've got a subscription to Zip.ca (Netflix-esque internet movie rental) so I've always got a fresh supply. I would say probably 1-3 movies in theatre per month, but that really depends on the month - sometimes I'll see 3 movies in one weekend, other times I'll go for weeks without seeing even one.

Edited by Alex Taylor

I watch about 2 to 5 movies a day. (I have sattelite) but haven't been to a theater to see a first run movie in years although I will probably make an exception for The Astronaut Farmer (I can hardly wait for that movie to come out). I do attend film festivals and look out for special screenings. I guess it bugs me to pay 10 to 14 bucks to go see a movie and that's if I don't take anyone with me. My biggest problem watching movies at home is finding movies I haven't seen already although I also really hate the fact that most films on TV are panned and scanned, that's why I watch a lot of TCM. I borrow a lot of DVDs from my parents as my mother is an avid film collector although she usually buys the full screen versions which drives me crazy. I tried to explain to her that when you watch a panned and scanned film, your missing 2/3rds of the film's composition but she just tells me she hates those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The only victory I've managed to win is that now they only give me the wide screen versions as presents :D I had a home theater set up but blew the $300 buck lamp on my projector and it hasn't been a priority to replace it while I've been gathering up the equipment I need to shoot this film I want to make, besides it may actually be cheaper to buy a good used digital projector rather than replace the lamp on my other one. I find watching all these films most educational although I do go through periods where I get burnt out on watching movies and take a break usually watching a lot of the educational channels and comedy stuff. I also watch as much of the making of, biographies of and discussions about filmmaking and filmmakers as well as actors and any related subjects as I can find. I can honestly say I've learned quite a lot from these docs and programs. Also any time any prominate filmmakers come into town, I make it a point to go see them and talk about film as much as time will allow. I had a wonderful 3 hour long disscussion with Peter Bogdonovitch, who is an amazing person to be around. I wish I could have spent more time talking to the man but he finally had to go in order to make his flight. I am going to set up a 35mm screening room at my studio so we can run daillies, so I may start looking for some 35mm prints and screen them there for fun. I have a 16mm projector now but of course I'd have to do something with the sound. I couldn't live with the projector's speaker alone B)

Thanks to Netflix, winter break, DVD's received for Christmas and working less hours at my day job, I managed to watch 9 movies between Christmas and New Years.

Superman Returns

Devil Wears Prada

Junebug

Cronos

Pan's Labyrinth

Beauty and the Beast ('46)

Pursuit of Happyness

Memoirs of a Geisha

Goya in Bordeaux

This is a rare occurence.

I probably average about 3 a week though.