Pro8/01 stills

Rachel Oliver

Hi;

Just got some rushes back from a recent shoot with the Pro8/01 from Wittner, transfered to DVCAM via Ursa diamond @ Todd-AO London, figured I'd stick a few quick stills up for any one curious about this stock on S-8.

Shot with a Leicina Special and 6-66 zoom.

Olly

Hi;

Just got some rushes back from a recent shoot with the Pro8/01 from Wittner, transfered to DVCAM via Ursa diamond @ Todd-AO London, figured I'd stick a few quick stills up for any one curious about this stock on S-8.

Shot with a Leicina Special and 6-66 zoom.

Olly

Sorry! Having trouble uploading pics. Will keep trying.

Olly

Hi;

Gosh! Thanks Michael, my emails are really screwy at the mo, it's kind of you to do that. It was the 6-66 schneider zoom shot run n' gun docco style so the focus could be better, also as usual these stills really don't do this stock justice, when I first checked the rushes I believe I let out an audible gasp :D I was rather blown away by it. Based purely on real world viewing from a decent SD monitor it stood easily up to the medium speed 16mm I was shooting 10 years ago at college, it's grain is tiny and it's sharpness and contrast handeling is like nothing I've ever seen in S8. For me it really takes this gauge somewhere it's never quite been, sure K40 was fine and sharp and even 100D but you are very much in "reversal land" (no bad thing). This stock just screams "proffesional" for want of a better word, I would seriously consider this as a worthy broadcast format given the right circumstances. It also seems the wittner batch of Pro8 at least is of consistent high quality....

Olly

Edited by Rachel Oliver

looks really good. very similar to fuji f-400 in 16mm is what first struck me. did you ask for this grading though? looks very dull.

no clips? would be cool to see that tight grain structure dance...

/matt

Edited by Matt Sandstrom

Very impressive, it looks like it outperforms 7217, in terms of reducing visible grain to a nice aesthetically enhancing (as opposed to distracting) level.

However, I bet your telecine at Todd-AO was absolutely top notch and that makes a big difference. I have seen some images shot by Steve Hyde that were transferred at Flying Spot and they looked almost as good.

looks really good. very similar to fuji f-400 in 16mm is what first struck me. did you ask for this grading though? looks very dull.

no clips? would be cool to see that tight grain structure dance...

/matt

Hi;

Matt, it was a straight best lights test, actually the footage is much more dynamic than these stills show.

npcoombs, Yup it's certainly a great stock for lovers of "good grain" if you get my drift, it's there but it's smooth and tiny.

Olly

• Premium Member
Very impressive, it looks like it outperforms 7217, in terms of reducing visible grain to a nice aesthetically enhancing (as opposed to distracting) level.

However, I bet your telecine at Todd-AO was absolutely top notch and that makes a big difference. I have seen some images shot by Steve Hyde that were transferred at Flying Spot and they looked almost as good.

..It is always problematic to compare these things on a computer, but here is a still from some 7217 shot at EI 100 in bright daylight. sorry the aspect ratio is wrong and its interlaced and looks awful, but for grain etc...

17.jpg

Very impressive looking stills! They look beautiful. Though one particular image, of the elderly gentleman standing up, shows more prominent grain than the others. I was reading another thread where it was advised not to use firewire in the editing stage after telecine. Did you use firewire at all in post?

• 4 months later...

Hi;

Sorry, been away having babies and stuff!

Yes to the firewire question, I had this transfered to mini dv. 10 bit digibeta or uncompressed was out of the budget level. I will be making a short this summer on the same stock and am having this transfered to digibeta so that will be v interesting.

regards

Olly

• Premium Member
Hi;

Sorry, been away having babies and stuff!

Yes to the firewire question, I had this transfered to mini dv. 10 bit digibeta or uncompressed was out of the budget level. I will be making a short this summer on the same stock and am having this transfered to digibeta so that will be v interesting.

regards

Olly

Congrats on the babies!! Do you have any clips you could post up somewhere? I'd really like to see that stuff in motion. This place is similar to YouTube but has MUCH better quality video Stage6