Chinese Motion Control Marcket

Lue Sun

I am a Chinese cinematographer. I know that there are only 2 moco systems in mainland China.

I think here is a very big marcket about moco rental in China. Because we produce thousands of

commecial ads a year!

So what is the minimum investment if I setup a rental house?

And I know that the price of the moco system now in China is about $8,000/day

Is it a good bussinese?

Anybody knows? thanks alot.

• Premium Member
I am a Chinese cinematographer. I know that there are only 2 moco systems in mainland China.

I think here is a very big marcket about moco rental in China. Because we produce thousands of

commecial ads a year!

So what is the minimum investment if I setup a rental house?

And I know that the price of the moco system now in China is about $8,000/day

Is it a good bussinese?

Anybody knows? thanks alot.

Hi,

A Milo is about $500,000 depending on spec. Usually 3 people come with a rig, probably included in the price.

If your busy it can be a good business, but MOCO is not for everyone.

Stephen

Is it a good business?

For some, yes.

Others have BIG problems, due to their lack of knowledge, equipment failures and more.

Motion Control is a very interesting but also extremely complicated technique.

First of all, the person operating the system needs to have a good understanding of the shot that is needed, to see where the problems are, to find the right solution.

Secondly, the equipment is available in all sizes and shapes, but only a few work - in my opinion - properly.

To make the right choice of equipment is very difficult and once you go for something, you are bound, glued, arrested, blackmailed, etc. to it.

There is hardly any possibility to connect the different systems to each other, unless one makes very expensive "converters".

Thirdly, the people working with MoCo must have a very good understanding of Computer Operating, as well as 3 Dimensional thinking.

Then there is always the post production that needs to be working together with the MoCo as some ideas are only possible in a mix of real live recording and post production.

To many times people (producers, directors but also post production and MoCo operators) think they can do it only with one technique, only to find out that this is not true, or that is does not look real or what they want.

Starting with MoCo is something that requires a lot of money.

If you start small, a basic set can be bought for around 100.000 to 150.000 $, but dont expect too much of it, specially when you need faster moves or need more axes than only pan and tilt (+ focus iris zoom)

The lightweight rigs available are not good for fast moves in my experience, though people like to shout "we'll fix that in Post" only to find out that that is not alwyas true.

The heavier rigs, like the Milo system are indeed as Stephen mentioned $ 500.000 and up, because once you start with this you need a big truck, big flightcases, big and heavy precision tracks (12.000 GB pounds for 3,5 meter) and so on.

The moment you start with MoCo, you'll find that they ask you for additional equipment that moves also other items, like turntables and sliders etc.

So the equipment list will expand.

Then you need often dedicated video-assist control, with mixer and keyer to overlay recorded and live images, to see if they match on set.

Before you know it you have easily invested around 1.000.000 US$ and will not stop there.

I could go on.........

But the main factor is, in my opinion, this: The equipment is only as good as the operator working with it.

If you want more info, please contact me off-forum, send me a personal mail.

Rob

Hi

Thanks alot!

I think I need to do some investigation about Chinese market.

I just want to find is there any oppotunity in China.

But I feel it is a good bussinese.

After the investigation work, I can know it is good or not!

Thanks again and sorry for my poor English!

Lue

Edited by Lue Sun

• Premium Member
David, how do you know that Lue Sun is not his real name.

Perhaps the Chinese characters would have been easier for you to read.

That was rather rude on your part.

Hi Dan,

before he changed it to Lue Sun he had something else as his username. If that hadn't been the case I wouldn't have posted. I am a native German speaker, I don't run around thinking all non-english names are not real names.

Regards, Dave

Hi Dan,

before he changed it to Lue Sun he had something else as his username. If that hadn't been the case I wouldn't have posted. I am a native German speaker, I don't run around thinking all non-english names are not real names.

Regards, Dave

Hi,

Sun is my sir name, Lue is my given name!

It's real. I don't know the rules here, so I use username when I first posted!

I am now a teacher in Beijing Film Acdemy, if you can read in Chinese, you will find my name on

http://www.bfa.edu.cn/yx/ysjsx/node_469.htm

Lue

Edited by Lue Sun

Welcome to the forum, Sun.

before he changed it to Lue Sun he had something else as his username.

You can see in Stephen Williams' posted quote the original display name was "sunlove". When a user edits his display name, the change effects headings on past posts too.

• Premium Member
Sun is my sir name, Lue is my given name!

It's real. I don't know the rules here, so I use username when I first posted!

Welcome to the forum, Lue! I just wanted to point out the forum rules. I hope I did not offend you.

Regards, Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Lue, My name is Victor Huey, a Chiinese American Grip. IATSE LOCAL 52 who has worked in the film industry in New York for over 30 years. I have been to China many times and know a lot about film gear and high tech toys, and have been thinking about working with the growing commercial motion picture biziness in China.

......perhaps we can exchange emails.....mine is vichuey@gmail.com

Victor

Hi

Thanks alot!

Lue

• Premium Member
Hi

Thanks alot!

Lue

Actually, your English is quite good. I don't know about your accent though. :rolleyes: