How do you spell "Lens"?

Carl Brighton

Why do people on this forum insist on writing "lense" when they're talking about the glass thingy at the front of a camera. I've never seen that spelling used on anybody's rental catalogue, nor have I encountered it in any physics text, manufacturer's website or magazine review.

The spelling seems to be mainly used by people with a lot to say, but (to me at least) seem to have a somewhat knicker-elastic technical background :P

Happy Poo?!?!? :huh: :D

I think anyone who mispells "Lens" is probably in a bit of a rush. Either that, or they're some 18 year old pot-head who hangs out in a storm drain, making a video where they all take turns getting shot in the head with a BB gun, later to be posted on youtube.

That's my opinion.

Related question:

When we talk about the lens, can we use ?lenses?

After all there are many lenses inside the tube?

Somehow I tend to use lenses when referring to the whole assembly.

Now if it is correct, should I use ?this lenses? or ?these lenses? when referring to the one tube?

I use ?this lenses? and my word processor always marks it as a grammatical error.

In context it makes sense though.

Andrew Ray

• Premium Member
If your technical background is so superior to most of us, maybe you could help answer people's technical questions rather than correct their spelling.

Hear! Hear! I blame all this drivel on the prevalence of broadband, back in the dial-up day people would fricassee you if you wasted bandwidth as some are so quick to do now. :)

Hear! Hear! I blame all this drivel on the prevalence of broadband, back in the dial-up day people would fricassee you if you wasted bandwidth as some are so quick to do now. :)

Hal, and others reading this post, seriously, how to use it: lenses or lens for single tube?

See:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DZdr

for a discussion on the topic of "lense".

Thank you; the conclusion I can safely draw from all that is that nobody will think any less of me because I spell it "lens" but it's possible they might suspect me to be a devotee of certain solitary vices if I spell it "lense" :P

If your technical background is so superior to most of us, maybe you could help answer people's technical questions rather than correct their spelling.

Why? Most of the time I'd be telling them things they most emphatically DO NOT WANT TO HEAR?

I'm merely here to learn B)

There there...Inveterate verbal rod-whallopers were the first to flock to broadband, mainly because their family/room mates/ girlfriends (yeah right :P ) tended to get pissed off with them tying up the phone line for eight hours at a time while they compose a two-line sentence to post in a chatroom. Check out Reduser.net for more details.

Ever heard of Notepad guys?

Edited by Carl Brighton

You guys are all wrong.

As in the example 'sunglasses', and 'this sunglasses', not 'these sunglasses'

'Take this sunglasses and try it out, please'

'I love this sunglasses, they are really cool'

We should write 'my lenses' not 'my lens' unless you are assembling the lenses and you want to say to your assistant that just took one lens off the table where you were fixing your lenses 'give me my lens back, I have to install it in the lenses now'

However we usually refer to the lenses as a whole assembly so lenses not lens.

Also 'this lenses', not 'these lenses'.

Exception will be when you have many single individual lenses on the table and you ask your assistant:

'Could you gather these lenses and put it in the box there on the shelf so we can assembly it together tomorrow'

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Ray

Exception will be when you have many single individual lenses on the table and you ask...

Would you then refer to one of those single individual lenses as a "Len"? Or, ask your assistant to pull out of the case of lenses the 18mm len? This is a running joke one of my long time friends/1st A.C. and I have.

Would you then refer to one of those single individual lenses as a "Len"? Or, ask your assistant to pull out of the case of lenses the 18mm len? This is a running joke one of my long time friends/1st A.C. and I have.

I have to tell you that you caught me by surprise here.

Why we have always so much trouble with the lenses? :-)

Damn glass

Sorry, gla.

Exception will be when you have many single individual lenses on the table and you ask your assistant:

'Could you gather these lenses and put it in the box there on the shelf so we can assembly it together tomorrow'

...so that we can ASSEMBLY it together? :huh:

How ironic. :P You're tring to correct people's grammar, and you misspell yourself. :D

Someone been overdosing on the 'Irony Pills' have they? :)

...so that we can ASSEMBLY it together? :huh:

How ironic. :P You're tring to correct people's grammar, and you misspell yourself. :D

Someone been overdosing on the 'Irony Pills' have they? :)

Matthew, so let's start the new thread about 'assembly'

If I know how to spell I will not ask the question in the first place.

Edited by Andrew Ray