Peleng 8mm

Martin Yernazian

Hey guys long time no see

I just bought an Eclair NPR, ( thanks Alain) and in the moment is at Les Bosher shop, getting converted to S16 and all the works.

I want to get a nice wide angle with a pl mount, and the Peleng 8mm came to mind, cheap and reliable.

I want it to know your opinions and if you had shoot with lens it will be loveley if you can share some of the footage

BEst

• Premium Member

The Peleng is extremely wide, even on a 16mm camera and it shows distortions proudly which can be a plus or minus depending on what you're looking for. Not extremely sharp, but acceptable for such an inexpensive lens.

I've used it quite a bit on my K3 and that camera's lens is not centered on the S16 frame so my footage would be slightly off from what you could expect. Good news is that it easily covers the entire S16 frame and its kinda fun to use.

We're so used to seeing no lens distortions (or very mild ones) with video and most film work so this lens is a nice addition when you want a different look.

Do a search, there's probably more than a few posts about it.

Thanks will

I been I love wide angles, and I know if the distorted, they will put to use for an especial porpuse

I just want to see some footage done with the Peleng, I talk to alot of people and they have told me , that yes is a cheap lens but is a great lens for S16 for the price... anyhow

Thanks

Thanks will

I' was going to get it but I think I will wait for a used one or a better 8mm

I love the idea of and special looking lens but for that I will prefer a Kinoptic 5.7 or an Angeniuex 5.9 ( sadly the last one doesn't cover S16.... (well it does but it has soft vignetting... I tried it and this lens is beautiful for marine cinematography)

Best

Guest Ian Marks

I've got a C-mount Schneider 10mm (the one with the large front element) and have put a 77mm Schneider Aspheron wide angle attachment on it using a pair of step-up rings. This gives me a wide angle of around 5.5mm that still covers Super-16 (and of course I get a 10mm in the bargain). Some day I've got to get a digital picture of this thing and put it up for people to see... straight lines stay absolutely straight, but it is w-i-d-e... and unlike the Kinoptik, it focuses. Of course, the Kinoptik is a great hunk of glass too.

OOOOOOOOOhh I like that a lot, and at the same time is comforting since I just lost a bidding on ebay for a Kinoptic and it really sucked ass because it was for a 10 dollars difference and the glass was perfect...... damn

What where your results with your setup.... because that's what I want ... a wide straight lens for crazy fast scenes, also whats the f-stop range?Do you have a picture of it ?

Dude I sound like a high school girl haha

Guest Ian Marks

I think you're like me... I love super wide angle lenses. I'm pretty sure that if Robert Rodriguez hadn't had a 5.7 Kinoptik along when he was shooting "El Mariachi" that he wouldn't be where he is today. The Schneider is a f1.8, and that doesn't change with the addition of the wide angle attachment. Here's a picture:

46259.jpg

It has a 58mm front thread and covers Super 16. I had the wide angle attachment sitting around and some step-up rings and for kicks thought I'd put them together, fully expecting that the thing would either vignette at the corners or not be in focus (or both). Instead it was nice and crisp when I put it on my ACL. And I mean crisp.

Amazingly, I just looked around and found a dealer in Germany that sells this item (it's 388.80 Euros). Here's a picture from their site:

uwl_1.jpg

And here's the web address of the dealer:

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/...na/b_optike.php

I got lucky with this arrangement - I happened to already own the 10mm lens and the WA adapter and they happened to work when I put them together - and they didn't cost much because I was lucky with the prices I paid. For you it might be easier and cheaper to get the Kinoptik. There seem to be a lot of them around, and they sometimes sell at good prices.

That's great info

Thanks Ian

Yeah I hope I get one wide angle lens like that ( I 'm looking in 5. something range ) I love teh look and with my kind of cinematography they go great with the stories I tell

Hopefully I can get one of this guys

As you read in teh other post I just lost a bidding on ebay for a Kinoptic 5.7 and I'm pissed off ( the difference was 10 bucks and was at the last second)

Anyhow thanks man

• 1 year later...

Heya guys,

just got a question about he Peleng, how wide would you think the lens would be on Super 16? Would you say it would be the equivelent to an 9.5mm Zeiss Distagon or perhaps something much wide? I'm considering buying one, but if it doesn't go wider than maybe not.

Thanks.

Steven

• Site Sponsor
Heya guys,

just got a question about he Peleng, how wide would you think the lens would be on Super 16? Would you say it would be the equivelent to an 9.5mm Zeiss Distagon or perhaps something much wide? I'm considering buying one, but if it doesn't go wider than maybe not.

Thanks.

Steven

I have a Peleng 8mm in nikon mount and I have the zeiss 9.5 and the kinoptik 5.7 in B-mount the Peleng is a little wider than the 9.5 (I put the peleng on my ltr54 with a nikkor adapter) but it does not have anywhere near the speed of the zeiss.. but it is a really nice piece of glass and a 180 degree fov in 35mm, I use it allot on my Eyemo.

-Rob-

• 2 months later...

I own a peleng. I have used it on my xtr a couple of times and it's a nice little lens too play around with. But if you're looking for something more serious i would suggest another lens. Like people already said, it's not so sharp and i expected it to be a little bit wider. But hey, only 250 dollars ! ( when i bought it ). I like it on a 35mm format camera better, really extreme.

Goodluck on your choice

Edited by Sander Ferdinand

• 15 years later...

Hi! does anyone has any examples of peleng 8mm used on s16? i'm looking for a fisheye that is 6-8mm to use it on s16. I'm looking for a distorted wide angle lens, but 4.5mm elite is a bit too wide for me.