ARRI SR french to german MOTOR

Keneu Luca

I just found it.

The SR I French motor and French two piece electronic circuit board are serial numbers 60900 and lower.

The SR I German motor and German one piece electronic circuit board are serial numbers 60901 and higher.

But I still do not know the difference in noise level. Anyone?

Edited by Keneu Luca

• Premium Member

It's not so much the noise level that makes the German camera more desirable than the French.

Parts for the French motor and electronics are no longer available, so service can be an issue if anything goes wrong with the motor or circuit boards.

This is why most shops won't convert the cameras with the French guts to Super 16, too much chance of the camera becoming a boat anchor if the electronics or motor goes south.

-Tim

It's not so much the noise level that makes the German camera more desirable than the French.

Parts for the French motor and electronics are no longer available, so service can be an issue if anything goes wrong with the motor or circuit boards.

This is why most shops won't convert the cameras with the French guts to Super 16, too much chance of the camera becoming a boat anchor if the electronics or motor goes south.

-Tim

The many Arri cameras have broken electronics ?

I don't know details of curcuit of Arri electronics.

Possible, i can create of version of our microprocessor controllers for Arri cameras too ?

SR have DC motor with encoder ? or this multi phase winding with sensors of position ?

Can give me any details?

• 16 years later...
  • Premium Member
9 hours ago, Daniel Ross said:

Is it possible to convert a French to German Motor? Anyone know of any way to do this?

for the original electronics being so old, I suspect it would be more practical to make new electronics for the SR and just use the original motor drive itself if it still works. So making all new crystal sync electronics to it instead of trying to buy a year or two more  time for the originals and then they would break again needing more expensive repairs.

Most likely the French to German direct conversion with old boards is not even possible to do anyway, not an SR expert but that tends to be almost always the case with camera electronics that you can't mix and match ANY different models and have to start from beginning to make completely new ones if original cannot be repaired and exactly similar spare parts not available. Basically the only situation where cross fitting boards could work would be if it is the exactly same board with exactly same connections, parts and features and only has different physical shape with no functional or electric difference whatsoever. ANY difference usually makes it impossible to interchange them. And if a circuit board is newer, there is always some improvements and differences which make it incompatible with anything older.

I expect the completely new electronics would cost maybe something around 4k or 5k installed if the original motor can be used and there is enough orders at the same time (from 4 or 5 upwards) which are pre paid to cover the R&D costs. likely takes from 1 to 2 years to design and test if the engineer really knows their job and has enough time to work on the project. it would be possible to make it similar style features than the SR3 Advanced has with displays and everything. But only if the designer is very experienced making crystal sync stuff, is compensated enough, there is enough time available, the customers don't ghost in the middle of the project, etc. So very risky to start a project like that in any case

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Daniel Ross said:

Thank you for this. For me I am most concerned with trying to make the sound of the motor run as silent as possible. Is there anything to do with the motor or electronics specifically that could do this?

Electronics that do sinusoidal commutation instead of block commutation make  brushless motors run more silent.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, Daniel Ross said:

Would there be a way to custom fit this so it’s possible?

New custom electronics with completely new motor is generally possible but would be very expensive and likely impossible to finance. It is all about time and money, not about whether something is "possible" or not

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

New custom electronics with completely new motor is generally possible but would be very expensive and likely impossible to finance. It is all about time and money, not about whether something is "possible" or not

Replacing only the control electronics and keeping the original motor drive is generally possible too though often people want new drive too to make the new system last longer.

Fitting only a "add on" extra board on top of existing electronics generally does not work and one needs to change all control electronics if wanting new features