Lights in the USA

Hi there,

I will shortly be coming over to the USA to film a documentary... as part of my kit i plan to bring over a set of dedo lights.

These dedo lights operator through their individual transformer/dimmer which is rated at ac230v - 50hz. As you guys all operate at 60hz i was wondering if there lights are going to flicker........

any responce would be great. I am also looking to buy a diva-lite when i am in the states, can anybody recommend a good provider on the east coast. I have tried b&h but they do not deliver to hotels... great...

Is your dedo kit very heavy? I'm curious how much it'll cost you if it's overweight or too big for a carry on.

I'm pretty sure the voltage will be an issue, as it is with most electronics. You might be better off finding a place to rent while you're here.

• Premium Member
These dedo lights operator through their individual transformer/dimmer which is rated at ac230v - 50hz. As you guys all operate at 60hz i was wondering if there lights are going to flicker........

Your lights are not going to work without the right accessories. The dimmable transformers are pre-rigged for their specific part of the globe. You'll need to get some transformers/adapters that you can plug in between the transformers and the wall. These shouldn't be a problem, because the lights don't draw a lot of current. Check some department store, they should carry what you need. You might be able to get these more easily in the US than in the UK. The alternative is to get a 3 light transformer for your dedos. Then you'd only have to change the mains cable and set your transformer for the right input voltage and frequency.

Cheers, Dave

You'll need a step-up transformer for your lights. What is the total wattage? I don't know that the 50Hz vs. 60Hz is going to cause a flicker issue. 50Hz motors will run on 60Hz here in the US as long as you supply te correct voltage. You might try Barbizon fo your Diva, they have locations in many major cities.

It should be all right with a heavy duty, true magnetic 110V to 220V step-up transformer like these (never use cheap solid state travel voltage convertor):

http://www.110220volts.com/power_converter...CFQJuFQodXk5JMQ

I got a 800W one which weights 6kg--quite heavy for travel. I would go for a minimum 800W rated transformer which is more than enough for 3 Dedos. The 50Hz and 60Hz difference should not cause flickering with tungsten light. Even the high frequency ballast of Kino Flo can run on both 60Hz and 50Hz given the right voltage conversions. (unlike HMI electronic ballast which may cause problem)