Alex Thompson BSC

Guest Tim Partridge

I am extremely sad to read this. What can be said, other than many others and myself have learned so much watching the films he lit (and operated).

I really cannot speak highly enough.

• Premium Member

That's real sad. True pro, with a lot of fantastic credits under his belt. I particularly enjoyed some of his later work - like Alien 3 (which is very moodily shot), Cliffhanger (a personal favorite) and Executive Decision (a truly tight and well paced thriller nicely shot).

RIP Alex.

I had the pleasure of attending a Q&A with Thompson in Bristol 2 years ago - it was informative but also very entertaining, I think there were many people there who knew very little about the technical aspects of cinematography - but everyone was very much enthralled by his anecdotes, charm and humor.

Personally I love watching The Sicilian, its cinematography its as stunning as you can get.

In many respects his films were kind of unlucky - often it would be the weaker or narratively unsatisfactory work of otherwise good directors - but Thompson's photography always made up for that in leaps and bounds.

Watching a film shot by Thompson again, is and always will be something I look forward too.