Nice looking promotion of 16mm format

Patrick Cooper

Hmm... now I ponder a similar piece for Super8.... 8)

Que the Pro8mm promo!

They had this playing in the Arri tent at Video Forum, Earls Court this year, ironic advertising a new film camera at a video technology fair - the Arri rep encouraged the audience to come up and be 'rough' with it - he felt it was indestructible.

I didn't want to challenge him on that...

Que the Pro8mm promo!

They had this playing in the Arri tent at Video Forum, Earls Court this year, ironic advertising a new film camera at a video technology fair - the Arri rep encouraged the audience to come up and be 'rough' with it - he felt it was indestructible.

I didn't want to challenge him on that...

hey Andy,

You should have taken him up on that.

I have an Arri HS SR that I have owned for 17 years that I bought used and it has never broken down on a shoot. But my brand new Sony VX 2000 took a dump after one year.

Arri cameras are rugged and tough, no doubt about it.

Best

Tim

Looks great, I wonder if this was ever project in 35mm, maybe at NAB the year it was released? I ask becuase they say 'believe it or not, this is still 16mm' but the difference isn't redily apparent at youtubes compression rate. believe it or not, its still MPEG-4 double compressed.

• Premium Member
Just to mention the fact it's an ad for the 416... Who would produce a film for promoting 16 mm only ?...

Speaking of the 416, has anyone used one in the real world yet? I got a chance to play with one at NAB, but I don't know anyone personally who has shot anything with it yet. Any of you folks?

-Tim

has anyone used one in the real world yet?

Hi Tim,

I received a PM from Laurent to tell me about this topic and your question.

I saw the 416 again recently at Panavision Paris as they were testing it.

Tell me if I can help !

Here's a picture of the 416 Plus on my PRO sled :

k416035az.jpg

There is a topic on the Steadicam Forum : here

K.

• Premium Member

Kareem and Laurent,

Thanks guys. Links to some great articles.

Laurent, I got a laugh out of this link:

http://www.arri.de/news/newsletter/article..._first_use.html

Did you post that because in the sidebar of that ARRI web page is a link to the review I did on the camera last year? :P

Kareem, I was just wondering if it is as silent when you were using it as it was at the ARRI booth at NAB. Even with the camera pressed to my ear I could barely hear it purr while running a full 400 ft load. I thought it was really an amazing camera. Looks like it fit your steadycam rig pretty well also.

Thanks again guys,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Did you post that because in the sidebar of that ARRI web page is a link to the review I did on the camera last year? :P

:lol: I actually did not notice that at the first sight ! Here it is for anyone who wouldn't easily find it in the side bar : http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/cinematographer...cle_14825.shtml

It's a nice ad for Arri, but as I noted on another board, the image elements are probably not all 16mm origination. The old silent film comedy footage looks like Ince or Keystone production, which was all 35mm origination. The Beatles shots they used (Washington DC, 1964) were most likely Kinescope'd video - notice the halos around highlights, which were common artifacts of tube based video cameras.

With all the wonderful historical 16mm material out there I'm surprised that Arriflex was so sloppy in their choice of materials.

Edited by Robert Hughes