Chinese Lantern Fixture

People wanted to see what I did, so here ya go, photos & some explanation below:

Basically, I went to the nearest hardware store, got a moderately gauged 25' extension cord, cut off the female end and then measured out 15' and made another cut where I would attach the switch and reconnect the neutral & ground wires inside the 15 amp rated switch box.

IMG_0001.jpg

I got a 9" piece of threaded lamp rod and a 650w rated ceramic fixture with a screw-in base that fit the rod perfectly.

IMG_0007.jpg

I ran the wires through the hollow rod, attached them to the fixture and voila! I had a working china ball fixture.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Getting the rod is an excellent way of having a way to attach the lantern to a c-stand, so I would highly recommend it. Once the fixture is clamped onto the c-stand, simply clip on the chinaball and you're done.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Of course, it's a bit more difficult and technical, but pretty straight forward once you have a look around the internet and find some basic examples of wiring.

Looks good Jonathan. For ease of use I would clip off the the 15-amp switch. As a lamp op I would throw that thing out of a window if I had to constantly rig it up places. Just attach a male and female AC ends to the switch and you can use it anywhere down the powers path. If you wanted to do lighting cue your lamp op is forced to be within 15ft of the fixture rather then in the eyeline of the object causing the cue.

Hi Jonathan. By attaching a ceramic socket, does that allow you to put in a larger wattage bulb? What do you think is the max wattage you can put in with the ceramic socket?

And what is the max wattage before the lantern starts to discolour/burn?

thanks

Ken Minehan

If you use a plastic one, your bulbs will melt it.

The ceramic held up perfectly fine with a 500 watt bulb. I don't plan on using any bulbs higher than that, but the socket itself is rated at 650 watts...even then I could probably push it higher than that and it would hold up for some time.

If you wanted to do lighting cue your lamp op is forced to be within 15ft of the fixture rather then in the eyeline of the object causing the cue.

Good point Chayse, I'll probably make a couple more in the future without the switch and separate lines WITH a switch for the reason you stated.

Thanks!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

I get people writing to me from all over the world telling me what they do for DIY solutions. After a recent posting on a board about my wish to make a trombone style lamp harp for chinese lanterns that's adjustable to fit several sizes, one guy from Australia wrote to me showing me his solution. I've enclosed the picture here. Uses a mogul base and threaded rod to allow you to adjust the size. A bit different from my idea but works very well and is easier to implement too. He gave me permission to post it...

post-19574-1184161387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard Andrewski

• Premium Member
" Just attach a male and female AC ends to the switch and you can use it anywhere down the powers path."

What exactly do you mean by this Chayse...I'm having trouble picturing this.

Thanks,

mdg

Rather than actually wire the switchbox in line, wire a plug (male edison) coming out of one side of the box and an outlet (female edison) coming out of the other side.

I had some time today, and I was walking past a hardware store, so I figured why not and went ahead and re-attached a female plug to those switch lines, which will come in very handy. And I purchased a pair of extension cords and attached the fixture to those directly, no switch.

Looking at them, the switch lines definitely are much more useful now.

:)

I'd throw your rig out the window or into the nearest street if I worked on your shoot. The extension cord is run through the lamp pipe and taped into place. Electrical tape is not a replacement for a a proper strain relief. You can be certain the people will carry and attempt to hang your fixture by the cord. The socket you have chosen is not the correct type and the electrically live terminals are exposed. I can also see in the photo that you didn't make an Underwriters knot where the cord exits the lamp pipe.

I'd throw your rig out the window or into the nearest street if I worked on your shoot.

Obviously I concur with everything you've stated, but you have to admire and appreciate the succinctness of "Tri-Staters." :lol:

Sorry! I was a little harsh. I've been doing electrical work since I was about 12. It is either done right or it presents the possibility of fire or injury. In this case, injury to a member of the crew or cast. It's great to homebrew stuff, but if you are going to use the finished product around people, it has to be done correctly.

Here is a link to a knot which will provide an approved means of strain relef between the lamp pipe and socket: http://www.copper.org/copperhome/DIY/doity...owtorewire.html

Here is a link to a more suitable socket for this purpose: http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/...house/70409.htm

No worries JD, any input to make the rigs safer and more professionally constructed is ENCOURAGED

I'm quite green when it comes to slapping together anything electrical, so anymore tips you might have, please feel free to message me and give me any guidance :)

And that screwbase fixture that you provided a link to is the PRECISE one I've been looking for. Just wasn't able to find it anywhere.

THANKS!

JD

What would be a good strain relief for a rig like this? I'm thinking of making one myself.

Its hard to tell in that illustration of the porcelin socket how it goes together. Is the idea that wire would go through the small circular piece which would then thread into the base?

Great thread by the way. Had to use some plastic sockets recently and it scared the hell out of me. Rated at 60 watts, no good.

Thanks!

JD

What would be a good strain relief for a rig like this? I'm thinking of making one myself.

Its hard to tell in that illustration of the porcelin socket how it goes together. Is the idea that wire would go through the small circular piece which would then thread into the base?

Great thread by the way. Had to use some plastic sockets recently and it scared the hell out of me. Rated at 60 watts, no good.

Thanks!

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.pendantsystems.com/cable_accessories.htm

They sell the IPON strain reliefs which will fit directly in a 1/8 IP (3/8") threaded hole in the base of one of the porcelain sockets like Jonathan used. These are the really pro solution.

Here is a source for some covered porcelain sockets of various kinds too around page 9 the interesting ones start -- porcelain with a connection cover:

http://www.lightingparts.com/millerpdf/1-50.pdf

And they have others including mogul ones as well. Most are rated 660w / 250v. Just get one with an 1/8 IP to go with your IPON strain relief and you've got a super clean unit that no one will want to throw out the window!

Phill, yes the lamp pipe threads into the disc and the socket fasten to the disc by two machine screws.

Richard, the link to the Miller website was the one I was trying to find when I posted the link for the socket.

How much time and money you utimately spend on hardware for a disposable light fixture is up to you. After all, the original reason for using a china ball is because they are a cheap way to light a shot with soft light. Use them and when they get ripped or your shoot is over, discard them. No need to store a paper lantern worth on a few dollars, is there?

What socket selections are available for someone that doesn't want to splice or mess with electrical wiring? I'm not comfortable doing something like that and need an alternative.

If you're in the states, you should try your local home big box such as Lowes which is where I purchased my porcelain fixtures pre-wired.

Edited by Tim Brown

If you're in the states, you should try your local home big box such as Lowes which is where I purchased my porcelain fixtures pre-wired.

That what I was assuming I would do but haven't been there yet. I'll head up to Home Depot tonight and check them out and see if they have them. Basically, it's a porcelain socket attached to a plug?