How was this shot composed

Guest Sean Curt

• Premium Member

It's a little more than just a ring light, although it's the same principle. It looks like foamcore bounce around all four sides of the lens, giving a softer front-light than a ringlight would. That's why there's that broad, flat reflection on his forehead and the reflection in the eyes is so large. Same principle, just larger and softer.

You can use this type of lighting as frontal fill, like to smooth out the wrinkles on an aging actress. Nothing says it has to be your key light, or at key level. When it's used as subtle fill it's essentially "invisible," since there are no shadows.

They're pretty much only good for rap videos & fashion shoots. Not for practical natural usage.

I disagree. I used one not to long ago on a car interior scene for a little frontal fill. It worked great.

It's a little more than just a ring light, although it's the same principle. It looks like foamcore bounce around all four sides of the lens, giving a softer front-light than a ringlight would. That's why there's that broad, flat reflection on his forehead and the reflection in the eyes is so large. Same principle, just larger and softer.

I agree, the highlight blooming effect on his skin comes from a much softer quality of light then just a ring light. I think it is as you say, soft sources from 4 sides or at least one from above and below the lens.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

• Premium Member
I agree, the highlight blooming effect on his skin comes from a much softer quality of light then just a ring light. I think it is as you say, soft sources from 4 sides or at least one from above and below the lens.

My guess is multiple frames filled with 216 or the like to the left & right of and above the camera.

Cheers, Dave

Guest Sean Curt

You can use this type of lighting as frontal fill, like to smooth out the wrinkles on an aging actress. Nothing says it has to be your key light, or at key level. When it's used as subtle fill it's essentially "invisible," since there are no shadows.

thanks M Nash and David. You're one of few insightful comments

Edited by Sean Curt

I'm going to stick with the ringlight, albeit a large one. The reflection in his eyes is definitely circular, and it's large enough to suggest a ringlight at least 3 feet in diameter.

Whether it was a ringlight or trace frames or foamcore really doesn't matter though, as Michael says, it's all the same principle.