Rentals in Los Angeles

Tom Banks

Hey guys,

I'm starting pre on a music video and part of it requires to be shot on Super8. I don't think Clairmont has Super8 cameras so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on rental houses or even recommendations on a good camera to shoot on. This will be my first time shooting 8mm, but I'm assuming the processing and telecine will be the same as 16.

Thanks,

Tom Banks

Spectra has serviced cameras for rent http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Cameras.html The 814XLS is a great little camera. Pro8mm may rent cameras too, but I do not know for sure.

There is also this guy:

http://www.super8guy.com

He's really cool, and he rents out the Canon 1014 xls and 16mm Canon Scoopics. His prices are a little less than Spectra's, it looks like.

The 1014xls is considered "top of the line" (along with a few others -- Nikon R10, Nizo 6080, or the Beaulieus) and VERY user friendly. His site has a great video about it -- showing how to load, shoot, change exposure settings, etc. Also, he has wide angle adaptors for it, which is nice.

And I haven't been there, but this place also rents the 1014xls-- (and for very cheap, it looks like):

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/rentals.htm

Good luck!

Bo

Thanks guys. I checked out prices at Yale film and video and it's definitely a steal! I'll be shooting Ektachrome, recreating old 70's band footage reminiscent of The Yardbirds, Small Faces, Led Zeppelin, the films of the Maysles brothers (Gimme Shelter) as part of a music video sequence. Should be fun!

• Premium Member
Thanks guys. I checked out prices at Yale film and video and it's definitely a steal! I'll be shooting Ektachrome, recreating old 70's band footage reminiscent of The Yardbirds, Small Faces, Led Zeppelin, the films of the Maysles brothers (Gimme Shelter) as part of a music video sequence. Should be fun!

Philosophically speaking, one could make the argument that negative super-8 would actually give one more latitude from which to make ultra adjustments to the image when transfering to video. This was the reasoning Mr. Mullen used to explain why Kodachrome 40 would never be used in 35mm even if the final look of the film was to create even more contrast than Kodachrome 40.

Yale film and video has the best rental price for a basic Canon 1014xl-s. If you need a tap etc check out the super 8 guy.

Has anyone used the Super 8 guys video tap? Does it work well? I've never used a tap on Super 8mm but I would be excited to try one that works well.

Has anyone used the Super 8 guys video tap? Does it work well? I've never used a tap on Super 8mm but I would be excited to try one that works well.

I borrowed John L's (Super-8 Guy) Canon 1014-xls once but not the tap -- but you should give him a call if you need info -- he's a great guy to talk to and will get back to you right away.

Edited by Charles Doran