Continuing the discussion about the PXL2000

Thomas Worth

There was never a PAL version of the pxl, If there was it would probably only be about 12 fps I imagine (remember the pxl is only 15fps normally).

I don't think the pxl 2000 is actually interlaced which might be one of the reasons people say it looks more filmic than a lot of video.

Are these specs based on what the video circuitry is capable of delivering or just what gets recorded to the cassette? Like, if I recorded straight from the composite signal to DV, would it still be 15fps non-interlaced?

You can always "fill in the temporal gaps" using software that employs optical flow to get 24fps from a 15fps clip.

I have a friend with a PXL. I'll see if he'll let me modify it and I'll do some tests!

The C-mount idea is epic. I was actually thinking of that but it might be hard to come up with a robust mounting solution. The entire body of the camera is ABS, and I believe the lens is secured to the two halves of the camera with a plastic ring that slides over it and locks. I took my friend's apart a while back, so this is all from memory. If someone knows more, please share!

• Premium Member
Are these specs based on what the video circuitry is capable of delivering or just what gets recorded to the cassette? Like, if I recorded straight from the composite signal to DV, would it still be 15fps non-interlaced?

I've done this, using my eye it appears to be 15fps.

• Premium Member
This is funny. I mention the pxl as a joke in another thread and it takes on a life of it's own! At least something productive came out of that thread!

They call it serendipity Brad and i think you handled yourself brilliantly with the Joseph!

Incidentally I,d like to PM you about a steadicam introduction i'm thinking of taking, is that OK?

Kieran.

You can always "fill in the temporal gaps" using software that employs optical flow to get 24fps from a 15fps clip.

I have a friend with a PXL. I'll see if he'll let me modify it and I'll do some tests!

The C-mount idea is epic. I was actually thinking of that but it might be hard to come up with a robust mounting solution. The entire body of the camera is ABS, and I believe the lens is secured to the two halves of the camera with a plastic ring that slides over it and locks. I took my friend's apart a while back, so this is all from memory. If someone knows more, please share!

Yes it's still 15fps!

Output to the composite port is noticeably higher resolution than what goes to cassette tho. The cassette gives a whole other kind of nasty video quality, whereas when recorded to computer/DV it's very clean but still very low resolution.

A lot of people like the 15fps too because it's close to 16fps which you might get on old cine cameras!

It's an intresting idea to import it into twixtor or something tho!

Apparently the cameras have been modified to c-mount before, the trouble is that on the pxl, typical c-mount lenses will be extremely telephoto! I guess the pxl sensor is tiny. Perhaps D mount might be a better choice but I already have c-mount lenses. I'm not sure what field of view you would get from a 25mm lens.

One of the advantages of the camera is it almost has infinite depth of field tho!

However I'd still be intrested to try it as I'm not that keen on the stock lens. I'd like to try different focal lengths and most of all, I could use fast lenses like my f1.4 cookes or even a weird old f0.9 lens I have! The pxl is already amazing at seeing in the dark so I think this would be really intresting.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

They call it serendipity Brad and i think you handled yourself brilliantly with the Joseph!

Incidentally I,d like to PM you about a steadicam introduction i'm thinking of taking, is that OK?

Kieran.

Boooooooorrrrrrriiiiing. People on this forum are so old and dull. Out of date and almost near expiration date. Seriously, you have a problem then PM but dont speak behind my back like a pussy.

• Premium Member
Boooooooorrrrrrriiiiing. People on this forum are so old and dull. Out of date and almost near expiration date. Seriously, you have a problem then PM but dont speak behind my back like a pussy.

Shut it, Joseph. <_< I tried hard to be helpful to you. Other people were trying too. You're probably close to being banned, I would guess. You're being enough of a thorn in our sides. I will say no more.

Hey!!!!!!!, someone stop this guy :angry:

I love it searching, reading and commenting everyday in this forum i guess i'm an addict to this forum,BUT, why someone totally free breaks my peace and pleasure :angry:.?????

I agree with Kieran about Brad "you handled yourself brilliantly"...

Please if you don't like this forum go away... this is the first and last time that I talk to you

Y como probablemente seas un animal que no habla español, deja de joder la vida!!!! :angry:

Xavier Plaza

Edited by Xavier Plaza

You have a problem with cats Joseph?

I like cats.

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Hey Brad, ever flown a PXL2000?

Never have. It would probably be a hoot!

Kieran.

Sure, no problem.

Boooooooorrrrrrriiiiing. People on this forum are so old and dull. Out of date and almost near expiration date.

Yes, I had to put my bifocals on to read your insightful post. And now my arthritis hurts from typing.

Seriously, you have a problem then PM but dont speak behind my back like a pussy.

Yes, behind your back, on a public forum for the world to see. Sneaky! Just like a CAT burglar.

I have to go drink my Ensure, take my Metamucil, and have a nap now.