Easiest 16 Camera to convert to Super16?

Wes Broadhurst

• Premium Member
Out of the cheaper 16mm cameras,

Which are the cheapest, easiest, and most succesfull to convert to Super 16?

A good super 16 conversion is never going to be cheap but, since they are getting old now, eclair NPRs are pretty inexpensive cameras and I think were the first camera to get a super 16 conversion back in the day.

• Premium Member
A good super 16 conversion is never going to be cheap but, since they are getting old now, eclair NPRs are pretty inexpensive cameras and I think were the first camera to get a super 16 conversion back in the day.

Hi Wes & Keith,

Les Bosher in the UK charges 760 GB for the conversion of a NPR to S16. It won't get any cheaper for quality work. Yep, the NPR was the first. Rune Ericson converted an NPR to S16 to shoot Lyckliga skitar (Blushing Charlie) in 1970.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Wes & Keith,

Les Bosher in the UK charges 760 GB for the conversion of a NPR to S16. It won't get any cheaper for quality work. Yep, the NPR was the first. Rune Ericson converted an NPR to S16 to shoot Lyckliga skitar (Blushing Charlie) in 1970.

Cheers, Dave

The NPR is a steal. After the conversion you can have a PL Mount Super 16mm camera with a registration pin, coaxial mags, and a shutter that is adjusted in 5 degree increments from 180 - as small as 5 degrees!

You can get a 15mm rods adapter (got mine from Duall Camera) and get all the accessories you want...matte box, follow focus. The only issue you may find, depending on your motor, is that the NPR is not the quietest camera. In my opinion it is a small price to pay, and easy to deal with, get a barney.

On top of this the C-mount will allow the use of 35mm still picture lenses which are a cheaper alternative to buying or renting PL Mount lenses. But the fact that you can put the best glass in the world on your camera and get a steady image leaves no limit to how professional your results can be. It can look like the best super 16mm work out there...and on a 30 year old camera.

I highly recommend the NPR conversion if you are looking to get your own package. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Jon

• Premium Member
The NPR is a steal. After the conversion you can have a PL Mount Super 16mm camera with a registration pin, coaxial mags, and a shutter that is adjusted in 5 degree increments from 180 - as small as 5 degrees!

Yep, second that Jon! I have thought about that issue a lot! And I got an NPR from fellow board member Alain LeTourneau. I got a good deal and two Aaton Alcan 54 motors. The cam will be going to the UK this fall/winter for supersizing.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
If you ever get it back, he has had a Canon zoom of mine for almost three years now.....

I'm planning on going there meself. What kind of Canon is it? I could look out for it and take it with me ;) Seriously, so far I have heard only things about him...

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Out of the cheap 16mm cameras, the Russian K3 is the easiest to covert because all you need to do is file the gate. This isn't a "true" Super 16 conversion because the lens isn't actually recentered, but as long as you use a lens that covers the area it will work.

It can be done yourself for free or by someone with experience for about $200.

Keep in mind that this IS a cheap camera.

Yeah, I've heard the H16 is easiest to do. It's just a matter of filing out the side of the gate and shifting the turret over a little...or so I hear.

Also mill out the gate area that the film is pushed against by the pressure plate ... and the rollers need a bit of lathe work, or simply rub a file against them when they are running if you dont mind a bit of swarf inside your camera!

then the finder mod ...

I have done complete mod's for the EL and SBM myself - the bayonet mounts are much easier and less destructive than the turrets ...

The answer to the original posters question would prob be the EBM.

I can provide general instructions, basically enough for those mechanically minded and good with tools to figure out - any less, send it away for someone else to do (seriously! :lol:)