Old 16mm Stocks

Neal Dhand

I just came across a number of old film 400 ft. 16mm cans. They are unopened, but have likely not been refrigerated for some time. Any idea if these are still good, how they might be rated, etc?

Eastman Color Negative II

7247-539-13

ECN 451

Kodak Ektachrome

7242-869-32

EFB 597

Eastman Ektachrome Commerical Film

7252-522-201

ECO 451

Thanks for any help.

I just came across a number of old film 400 ft. 16mm cans. They are unopened, but have likely not been refrigerated for some time. Any idea if these are still good, how they might be rated, etc?

7247-539-13

ECN 451

Kodak Ektachrome

7242-869-32

EFB 597

7252-522-201

ECO 451

Thanks for any help.

I think the Ektachrome is all ME4 process. If it was VNF you could try processing it in e6. ME4 is apparently much harder to process tho and is an obsolete film process. You could try cross processing it in black and white at home and see what you can do with it. Maybe you could shoot titles that way or something.

The Kodak 7247 is normal ECN-2! Yay! The bad news is it was obseleted in 1983!

You could try overexposing it a stop and a bit if you are going to telecine but expect loads of base fog and probably weird colours too. Probably only potentially useful for dream sequences. :)

love

Freya

7247-539-13

ECN 451

Kodak Ektachrome

7242-869-32

EFB 597

7252-522-201

ECO 451

Ektachrome EF films were discountinued in 1984, the ME-4 prrocess the next year.

ECO and the ECO-3 process were discontinued in 1985.

All of your films are over 20 years old.

• Site Sponsor
The Kodak 7247 is normal ECN-2! Yay! The bad news is it was obseleted in 1983!

Rate the stock at 1/3 or 1/4 its normal rating and try to push the image up against the upper curve and throw a bunch of light on it. Expect grain and weird colors especially in the blue the old stuff can look great it you have a whacked use for it and tend towards over exposing it.

-Rob-

Ektachrome EF films were discountinued in 1984, the ME-4 prrocess the next year.

ECO and the ECO-3 process were discontinued in 1985.

All of your films are over 20 years old.

there is a lab that still do the eco processing. i think it's ford's or something like that. there is a thread about it somewhere. i tried myself to do so. the results were kind of cool, projected it look like a worm farm with a very faint background (because of the reticulation).

• Site Sponsor
there is a lab that still do the eco processing. i think it's ford's or something like that. there is a thread about it somewhere. i tried myself to do so. the results were kind of cool, projected it look like a worm farm with a very faint background (because of the reticulation).

Dwaines in Parsons Ks (k14movies.com) does runs of old film from time to time and Film Rescue specializes in this kind of work (filmrescue.com)

-Rob-

I think the Ektachrome is all ME4 process. ...

As someone already said the Ektachrome Commercial is not for ME-4, it was a variation of it or VNF with a different first developer and color developer, plus a presoak and buffer to remove the black remjet coating (which the ME-4 films did not have.)

The ME-4 film required a prehardener first step since the films were not hardened in manufacture to stand the 100 degree F solutions, unlike the later VNF and E-6 film. So just running it through either of these latter processes will result in the emulsion washing off in the hot solutions and converting them to dilute Jell-O.

Thanks for the help everyone.

As someone already said the Ektachrome Commercial is not for ME-4, it was a variation of it or VNF with a different first developer and color developer, plus a presoak and buffer to remove the black remjet coating (which the ME-4 films did not have.)

The ME-4 film required a prehardener first step since the films were not hardened in manufacture to stand the 100 degree F solutions, unlike the later VNF and E-6 film. So just running it through either of these latter processes will result in the emulsion washing off in the hot solutions and converting them to dilute Jell-O.