35mm Ultracam movie camera

James Steven Beverly

I think Martin Hill may still have a couple.  Last time I saw them, though, the doors were falling apart, and a number of capacitors were going bad on the boards.  The main problem was cheap electronic design i think.  An electronic engineer friend of mine had taken a look at one of them to try to fix, but decided it wasn't really worth the effort, and that it would almost be better to just build new electro-guts from scratch.

Cool looking mags tho :P

I think Martin Hill may still have a couple.  Last time I saw them, though, the doors were falling apart, and a number of capacitors were going bad on the boards.  The main problem was cheap electronic design i think.  An electronic engineer friend of mine had taken a look at one of them to try to fix, but decided it wasn't really worth the effort, and that it would almost be better to just build new electro-guts from scratch.

Cool looking mags tho :P

Assuming the movement etc is in good order, it could be cost effective to do an upgrade. The USAF do it with their B52s and they could be nearly 80 years old by their planned retirement date.

I think I've heard about you Stephen.  You got the two nicest ones right?  Color video taps?  Are they both 4 perf?

Assuming the movement etc is in good order, it could be cost effective to do an upgrade. The USAF do it with their B52s and they could be nearly 80 years old by their planned retirement date.

Yeah it would be interesting to price it out... You would probably be better off re-engineering the electronics from scratch though, rather than copying the existing design.  From what I've seen/heard it's pretty unservicable.  The boards are literally all stacked on long screws with spacers in between them.... A friend also noted that the mid-ribs have sagged out of alignment. Could be cool though... And then fill in the "C", and replace it with a nice engraved "J" :P

• Premium Member
I think I've heard about you Stephen. You got the two nicest ones right? Color video taps? Are they both 4 perf?

Yeah it would be interesting to price it out... You would probably be better off re-engineering the electronics from scratch though, rather than copying the existing design. From what I've seen/heard it's pretty unservicable. The boards are literally all stacked on long screws with spacers in between them.... A friend also noted that the mid-ribs have sagged out of alignment. Could be cool though... And then fill in the "C", and replace it with a nice engraved "J" :P

Hi Matt,

Mine are both 4 perf #259/60. I have never seen any other ones so I don't really know! My Pal Video taps are color but home made.

The electronics on both cameras are working OK, I also have a spare boardl. A couple of companies have offered to replace the electronics which I may do, I don't really want to invest any money in them as they are seldom used on paying jobs.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

thanks. How did you go about adding the video tap? That's one topic that I am really curious right now... Would love to add one to my NPR.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

The cameras had the a B&W video tap from new, all I did was attached a $60 color camera from Ebay.

Stephen

• Premium Member
The cameras had the a B&W video tap from new, all I did was attached a $60 color camera from Ebay.

Hi Stephen,

thanks, that makes it kinda easy! I could easily fit one for my viewfinder, but I'd much rather have beamsplitter to be able to sue both the finder and tap at the same time...

Cheers, Dave

Hi Stephen,

thanks, that makes it kinda easy! I could easily fit one for my viewfinder, but I'd much rather have beamsplitter to be able to sue both the finder and tap at the same time...

Cheers, Dave

Steve Morton In Australia did some innovative things with taps on the Kinors, maybe he can do something with the Eclair. I think he charges about $1500 for the Kinor tap so I would imagine the NPR would go for about the same, 'course he may be negotiable, who knows and of course there's always Bruce at Aranda who does beautiful work. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
Steve Morton In Australia did some innovative things with taps on the Kinors, maybe he can do something with the Eclair. I think he charges about $1500 for the Kinor tap so I would imagine the NPR would go for about the same, 'course he may be negotiable, who knows and of course there's always Bruce at Aranda who does beautiful work. B)

Thanks James, sorry for hijacking your thread ;). Back on the topic...

Stephen, any idea why they stopped the run after 15 cameras? Ran out of money?

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Thanks James, sorry for hijacking your thread ;). Back on the topic...

Stephen, any idea why they stopped the run after 15 cameras? Ran out of money?

Cheers, Dave

Hi David,

The cameras were rental only like Panavision. I don't know how long they ran the camera rental side of their business, they also had other cameras in their inventory.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi David,

The cameras were rental only like Panavision. I don't know how long they ran the camera rental side of their business, they also had other cameras in their inventory.

Stephen

Yes, there wasn't really a reason to have more than a dozen Ultracam cameras in their rental inventory, not for a rental house of that size.

• Premium Member
Yes, there wasn't really a reason to have more than a dozen Ultracam cameras in their rental inventory, not for a rental house of that size.

Ok, but then the differences in the individual cameras are even more unusual. You'd expect that if the cameras were rental only they had to be matched so that using different ones wouldn't yield problems. How large were the differences? Any noticeable defects on one or the other?

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Ok, but then the differences in the individual cameras are even more unusual. You'd expect that if the cameras were rental only they had to be matched so that using different ones wouldn't yield problems. How large were the differences? Any noticeable defects on one or the other?

Cheers, Dave

Hi David,

There was supposed to be a variable shutter, not on either of my cameras but there is a switch on 1! There is also a later version of the mirror shutter, I have both types and also a spare of each. I think the cameras started out the same and there were some upgrades or possibly downgrades!

I guess cameras have been fiddled with since they were sold as well.

Stephen

• Premium Member

I bought my Ultracam mattebox from Roderick Stevens. I emailed him to ask about his experience when he owned his and here's an excerpt from his answer:

The first thing I would say is - try to shoot only Fuji film (heavier

base). U-cams are notorious for intermittent, seemingly impossible to

fix, flickering. A couple of us seemed to isolate that it only happened

on the newer Kodak stocks with the thinner base. I loved mine - but it

also caused me quite a bit of grief, and that's the story you'll hear

from most Ultracam owners. It's a love hate thing. :-)

• Premium Member
I bought my Ultracam mattebox from Roderick Stevens. I emailed him to ask about his experience when he owned his and here's an excerpt from his answer:

The first thing I would say is - try to shoot only Fuji film (heavier

base). U-cams are notorious for intermittent, seemingly impossible to

fix, flickering. A couple of us seemed to isolate that it only happened

on the newer Kodak stocks with the thinner base. I loved mine - but it

also caused me quite a bit of grief, and that's the story you'll hear

from most Ultracam owners. It's a love hate thing. :-)

Hi Hal,

The Ultracam I used on the pop video recently was Roderick's old camera.

I recently tested Fuji Eterna 500T & 5218 on a night shoot. I could not find any flicker so hopefully tape on the back of the aperture plate has fixed the issue, but as he said the problem is intermittent I don't know for sure.

Having shot a great deal of animation in the past, I have seen flicker caused by a number of things. Today with digital post production flicker can be eliminated fairly easily so I am not that worried.

Stephen

Stephen

I don't know guys. These Ultracams seem cool and all that but with all the problems, I'm thinking it might be better to stick with my refurbished commiecam. The Lomo lenses are probably as good or better than the Ultratron Zeiss and probably cost less, also the electronics on mine have been updated to the Aranda Rotoxision-5000 which eliminated the major negative in owning a Kinor 35. I don't see any real advantages in the Ultracam over the Kinor. Now pf course if, like Stephen, someone else had actually paid for the camera, I'd own one too, I'm not stupid. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Oh, Captain...

Have you shot any footage on your commiecam? How's it look? The tests from my Micky came back flawless. The Nikons are quite lovely.

I had a heart attack over T-giving and have had to put the ECN lab on hold. About all I have the energy for is the computer room. PM me and say, "Hey."

Paul