DP's who are also directors and writers

Lars Zemskih

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am co-directing and DPing a film that I wrote. This was put together under some crazy circumstances that I can't get into in a short amount of time.

There is such a fine line on set between directing and being a DP. It almost feels like the production is "allowing" me as a DP to actually have a relationship with the actors on a different level. You are speaking to them about why they are doing something. I am relating what I wrote to all other levels of the production as well. I am trying to just make something honest and believable, and it is fu**ing difficult.

If you can direct it than do it! Or do both man. Do get pushed around. Ever.

there's also Peter Hyams, Doug Liman, and Soderbergh just to name a few others.

• Premium Member
there's also Peter Hyams, Doug Liman, and Soderbergh just to name a few others.

But these are directors who have shot some of their stuff, not DP's who have directed. It's a bit different in my opinion. Not bad, just different.

But these are directors who have shot some of their stuff, not DP's who have directed. It's a bit different in my opinion. Not bad, just different.

That's true. That is more what the original post was asking. I was trying to refer to the crossover between directing and shooting.

• Premium Member
Some directors like Kubrick and Malick are accomplished still photographers and have advanced knowledge of cinematography. They don't DP themselves, but they probably could.

Malick probably could, but I doubt Kubrick would have the flexibility.

Kubrick was an established photographer while still in high school. From what I have seen and read i believe he could have assumed most roles in a film production if he chose to do so.

I have shot ad directed some of my own films and am quite aware of what that implies in terms of logistics, division of energy, etc. Sometimes it is possible and sometimes it is not. Part of any creative activity is being able to assess ones strengths, weaknesses and limitations. A DP that operates is not necessarily a better DP. All needs to be objectively determined on a per project basis.

Jack Cardiff directed a number of pictures after winning an Oscar for photographing "Black Narcissus." His most famous film, "Sons and Lovers," received seven Oscar noms, including Picture, Director, Writing, Actor, and Sup. Actress. Ironically enough, it's only win was for...Best Cinematography, Freddie Francis. His later film "Girl on a Motorcycle," also has a popular following, and I believe it was one of the first motion pictures to use solarization.

Brian

Ironically enough, it's only win was for...Best Cinematography, Freddie Francis.

Well, Freddie became a director too.

While directing 'Dracula has risen from the Grave', he let Arthur Grant use use the ambber graduated filters

he had made up for 'The Innocents'.

Other Brits of about the same generation were Ronald Neame and Guy Green.

Green along with Cardiff and Freddie Young co-founded the BSC.

Yeah, I do find that interesting. I'm also in the process of writing a short story but I'm looking to DP. In a way, I guess I want to build a reel as well as make a good short film, maybe write something that may be fun to shoot as well as have a good chance. I here its very difficult to direct and dp. Mainly because setting up a shot and directing actors simultaneously can become ultra-stressful. I'm sure it can be done. But is the film going to be great, will the Dp be as good as the acting vice versa.

-Mikayel