High Definition Frame Super 8mm

Rolando Fernandez

What is an LA7200?

Can you zoom with the camera???

The LA7200 is the anamorphic 1.5x use un digital video cameras like Sony & Panasonic.

Yes you can use the entire zoom range and the macro also.

when super 8mm is transfered to digital you can pull the image to 1.78:1 ratio like HD.

how can this work correctly when attaching a Lens to a Lens?

The LA7200 is not a standard lens system is a front atachment for standard lens system

is only an horizontal compressor cilindrical lens.

this is an example for a cinemascope adapter:

http://www.owyheesound.com/anamorphic.html

Edited by Rolando Fernandez

I just send a test film to the lab.

Check this:

http://www.prtc.net/~rfelectronic/images/anamorphic.htm

Hi there. Could someone tell me how is the iamge quality of a CHINON PACIFIC 12 SMR SUPER 8mm Movie Camera? I recentely paid one from ebay and I want to use it to shot images and than to edit in HD ratio. Thank you.

Bogdan,

It is better to start a new thread with your question than piggy-back on someone elses, especially when the questions are different. You will get more answers in your own thread.

To Joseph the Great,

I took into account your idea - even if launched to me in a very flegmatic style - and I already started a new topic. I considered that it was a good idea, unfortunately, comming from a unappropiate person. I hope now you will feel your self "piggy-backed" no more. So, thank you for your super 8 mm kindness :P

Rolando,

Great application but I was wondering how do you keep the LA7200 straight when focusing without support bars? Or do you just manually straighten it out after focusing?

Hi Will! , yes for now I have to hold the adapter until focus is ok but it doesn't cause so

much problem if I were to shoot below 40mm , it definitly works, I know you now that...

Who has the amiability to tell me please what kind of optical capabilities and image quality has CHINON PACIFIC 12 SMR SUPER 8mm Movie Camera?

Hi , super 8mm is not a HD frame ratio you will have to use an adapter like this to get the 1.78:1

aproximation ratio. About the camera I canot tell because I haven't use a Chinon yet ,but it looks

like is a good camera.

Hi , super 8mm is not a HD frame ratio you will have to use an adapter like this to get the 1.78:1

aproximation ratio. About the camera I canot tell because I haven't use a Chinon yet ,but it looks

like is a good camera.

Thank you so much Ronaldo. I think I will make all necesary efforts to put on my Chinon an adapter like the one you mentioned here. I hope I will find on internet a good adapter for Chinon. And you know why? Because I already shot a medium feature with a Sony HD video camera (ratio 16:9) and in the final version of my digital movie I try to insert few fragments of motion picture film (super 16 mm and super 8 mm), all of them, of course, calibrated for HD projection. As I now so far pro8mm.com has special stock of super 8 mm already prepared for HD dimension. It is true? (I appreciate your effort in answering me)

i thought about going this route but decided against it for a couple of reasons. the focusing issues were a concern. the big one was the lenses are designed for standard def and not 1080 so there would be a loss in quality. if i remember right i did a calculation and it turns out that going maxi8 loses very little of the frame and you can do a 1080 scan. is there a 1080 scan available for a 4:3 image thats been squeezed?

i thought about going this route but decided against it for a couple of reasons. the focusing issues were a concern. the big one was the lenses are designed for standard def and not 1080 so there would be a loss in quality. if i remember right i did a calculation and it turns out that going maxi8 loses very little of the frame and you can do a 1080 scan. is there a 1080 scan available for a 4:3 image thats been squeezed?

These Century Optics/Schneider 16:9 conversion lenses have better glass in them than the Panasonic, at least as good if not better than most super 8 camera lenses.. I doubt super 8 has the real resolution of 1080 anyway.

1dbd_1.JPG

1e1b_1.JPG

1e84_1.JPG

a lens

Edited by Joe Uman

That is right , Century has a little more correction on the borders , but for the final

resolution in 8mm is not perceptible.

The 8mm film can show about 800 lines this lens is for aspect ratio basicaly it will not increase

any resolution at all.

I also have tested a Century on a Minolta.

Edited by Rolando Fernandez

saying 800 lines in super8 is relative to stock, glass and camera. if you are using modern glass, low speed stock and have great registration (i'm lucky i have the best registration) then who knows what the resolution is going to be. im just thinking that having the best you can in terms of optics is the best way to go. im concerned with the hassle of backfocus with adding an anamorphic on there especially since im thinking maxi8 uses the same (or close enough) frame areas as a squeezed image wihtout the hassle of adding glass, stressing about focus, limited telecine/res. dont get me wrong, i was all over this a couple of years ago but then personally decided that a widened gate was the better idea. if it works for ya then kudos

I use the Century Optics lens on both the Cinegon 10mm prime and Fujinon 5.5 mm prime with my Mekel, get no vignettting and no problems with back focus which happens more on zoom lenses. This set up is so simple and gives fantastic results plus the short focal length is hard to find in modern prime lenses for 8mm. With the 5.5 prime you get more the viewing angle of a 3-4mm lens which is quite wide for any camera. Plus you know exactly what you are composing in the shot instead of guessing. There's no way I'm gong to mess around with widening the gate on my Mekels, the danger of light leaks is too much.

Edited by Joe Uman

i spoke to the guys that built the cameras and they assured me that going into the gate by 13% wouldnt cause any problems. how many mekels do you have?

I have 2 Mekels. Who would perform the modification to the gate though and how hard would it be to cut the gate and would it affect stability?

• 3 months later...

Hi Rolando,

Up with your topic !

I was just wondering how you attached the LA7200 to your camera. Tell me if I'm wrong but the LA7200 has a 72mm screw mount and your 514XLS must be something like 46mm...did you have a custom adapter made ?

You seem to say that this optical complement didn't have any effect on your zooming range...sounds strange : I found some technical information for an equivalent product (Century Optics) and it says "allows for partial zooming ? one-half to two-thirds of the range (from wide toward telephoto) depending on available light." Do you have any explanation ?

Can you tell us more about the use of such a lense : you have to remove it for focusing but isn't it too hard (and laborious) to attach it horizontally each time ? ... If you could just describe your first impressions and experience shooting with it.

Another thing : you write about "crisp focus" can you tell a bit more about that ? It must be the kind of rubber ring we can see on your pics am I right ?

I am actually thinking about filming with an anamorphic lense for my upcoming project so I'm looking for some information that could help me...thanks ;)

Hi ! , actualy I take a wide shoot (no zoom) using the rubber hod of the Canon lens (it grabs pretty good)

no focus problem at all, then I push the zoom all the way an shoot a flower using a tripod , I get very clean picture

without any lens aberration , just one thing to know open you aperture at least 1 stop to compensate for light loss.

Process your film , make a professional telecine transfer to AVI format and post in 16x9 at the computer editor software.

You will get a nice widescreen super 8mm film.

I am planing to make an adapter support for it to allow easy focus on diferent cameras.

Cheers,

Rolando