16mm C-mount lens for Beaulieu 8mm camera?

Hampus Bystrom

Hey guys!

I'm about to buy a Kern Yvar C-mount lens that's actually for a 16mm camera.

It should work on a Beaulieu 16mm camera.

Could I attach this lens to my Beaulieu 6008S?

And how would this work?

It's a wide-angle lens.

Cheers guys!

i'll work. just screw it on there and use it with the focal length that it is in mind. cant guerentee the quality though

i'll work. just screw it on there and use it with the focal length that it is in mind. cant guerentee the quality though

Okay great! Well, you mean the quality of this specific lens or just the all-around universal quality problems that these type of lenses bring forth? Becuase this lens is in really good shape and I trust the guy selling it.

Okay great! Well, you mean the quality of this specific lens or just the all-around universal quality problems that these type of lenses bring forth? Becuase this lens is in really good shape and I trust the guy selling it.

I have a few Kern lenses that are all great, though some are better than others. I'm pretty sure Yvars were more budget oriented than Kern Switar lenses and are generally slower and have fewer glass elements, but it's still a Kern and Swiss-made (quality!). If it is marked "RX", it is designed for a Bolex Reflex camera and you will have focus issues at certain f-stops.

http://www.bolexcollector.com/articles/07_03_21.html

You say it's wide angle, but you don't mention the focal length. I'll assume it's probably 15 or 16mm focal length (since Kern's 10mm is a Switar), which is a moderately wide angle in 16mm format, but not too exciting in super-8 (marginally telephoto, if you consider 12mm to be normal). That said, it will mount to the 6008 with the only conceivable advantage being that it's more comfortable to carry than the larger, heavier, very high quality Schneider or Angenieux zoom lens that the 6008 is usually seen with (assuming you have a zoom). Regarding my own experience with prime lenses, I find a 10mm to be a more useful focal length in super-8, so I wouldn't pay too much for the Yvar because you probably don't need it.

yeah i should have mentioned the ole 'dont use RX marked lenses on anything but a relfex bolex' line. yvars and som berthiots were the budget line of the kern line. i have to say from my experience they are pretty bad. the 150mm yvar was ok but nothing to write home about let alone spend money on. i figure if you are going to spend money everytime the camera rolls its best to get lenses that are up to the job. id even go for the new kowa machine vision lenses way ahead of these. in fact im probably going to get some.

Alright! Cheers for the answers guys, I probably won't buy it then because I had a really wide lens in mind. Well, you learn something new every day. Yeah it's 16mm which probably would be a stupid choice seeing how my Schneider lens have 6mm-70mm.

I have a few Kern lenses that are all great, though some are better than others. I'm pretty sure Yvars were more budget oriented than Kern Switar lenses and are generally slower and have fewer glass elements, but it's still a Kern and Swiss-made (quality!). If it is marked "RX", it is designed for a Bolex Reflex camera and you will have focus issues at certain f-stops.

http://www.bolexcollector.com/articles/07_03_21.html

You say it's wide angle, but you don't mention the focal length. I'll assume it's probably 15 or 16mm focal length (since Kern's 10mm is a Switar), which is a moderately wide angle in 16mm format, but not too exciting in super-8 (marginally telephoto, if you consider 12mm to be normal). That said, it will mount to the 6008 with the only conceivable advantage being that it's more comfortable to carry than the larger, heavier, very high quality Schneider or Angenieux zoom lens that the 6008 is usually seen with (assuming you have a zoom). Regarding my own experience with prime lenses, I find a 10mm to be a more useful focal length in super-8, so I wouldn't pay too much for the Yvar because you probably don't need it.

Kern actually made a 5.5mm Switar as well.

i find the angenieux on the soft side. this will be even worse in super8. better to get something new that will be sharp especially if its cheap

Thats interesting. I probally looked at at least a hundred each and chances are many more than that over the years when I did lens repair. Since both designs are fixed focus and have to be spot on in their backfocus adjustment, perhaps the one(s) you saw were out of collimation. The Ang. 10mm takes an optical tech with an autocollimator at the MOST, ten minutes to adjust. The 5.9 a bit longer.

Anyhow new, cheap and wide angle don't live in the same town let alone the same state. lol

good luck,

Chuck

Hm, what about a wide-angle adapter? Would this look terrible?

I have a schneider lens right now which I like but I find it kind of hard to focus, but that's probably due to my inexperience rather than the lens.

Could someone please link to a film/stills on different lenses? I mean what's the essential benefits of most Angenieux lenses contrary to the Schneider ones?

Cheers!

• Premium Member

Hi, please may i ask why the need for a 16mm yvar lens thats to be fitted to a 6008? unless your lens-less on your 6008 then the zoom fitted to the camera should be more than adequate. It will also save you messing around getting the lens adjusted to the camera.

Hi, please may i ask why the need for a 16mm yvar lens thats to be fitted to a 6008? unless your lens-less on your 6008 then the zoom fitted to the camera should be more than adequate. It will also save you messing around getting the lens adjusted to the camera.

Yeah, we've sort of passed that question already. I don't know that much about lenses so all I knew was that it said "wide-angle lens". But it's for 16mm and my zoom Schneider lens goes as wide as 6mm so.

• Premium Member
Two nice wides that can be had in "C" mount are the 10mm f1.8 Angenieux and the 5.9 Angenieux also I believe at f1.8 The 5.9 has very good rectilinear correction for it's focale length.

I use both of these lenses on my 4008 with good results.

I use both of these lenses on my 4008 with good results.

In the 70s, Century Precision Optics offered both a 3.5mm and a 2.5mm specially designed for super8.

I don't think they sold a lot, so they are pretty rare nowadays. I can only remember ever seeing one on eBay a couple of years ago.

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

...Those Centuries are rare and expensive. I've never used them. The Angeniuex 5.9 and 10mm both offer focus-free shooting on super 8, but that is really the only benefit outside of reducing camera size. The Schneider 6- 66 is a great all-around super 8 lens.

Super 8 is not a good format for wide angle shooting. When wide angle is desired I turn to 16mm.

Yeah, I just wanted to inquire if there were any means to achieve really wide-angle with Super8. But this will do.

On another completely different question, do any of you guys know if the Beaulieu 6008S has a "back focus ring"?

I'm not even sure what back focus is but I've heard that you always should adjust it.

The back focus ring is not the ring for adjusting the eye-piece after my eyes is it?

• Premium Member
Yeah, I just wanted to inquire if there were any means to achieve really wide-angle with Super8. But this will do.

On another completely different question, do any of you guys know if the Beaulieu 6008S has a "back focus ring"?

I'm not even sure what back focus is but I've heard that you always should adjust it.

The back focus ring is not the ring for adjusting the eye-piece after my eyes is it?

Back focus, rear element of the lens to film plain ( i think ) can only be adjusted with special equipment, something you cannnot do at home. ( i know, i've been there and messed with c-mount lenses, never acheived sharp images on infinity)

Say which lens do you have fitted to your 6008?

Back focus, rear element of the lens to film plain ( i think ) can only be adjusted with special equipment, something you cannnot do at home. ( i know, i've been there and messed with c-mount lenses, never acheived sharp images on infinity)

Say which lens do you have fitted to your 6008?

http://www.footprintsecurity.com.au/info_a...s_of_a_lens.php

Doesnt look to hard?

But I don't know how to do it since I don't think my camera has a back focus ring.

If you are experimenting and not too concerned with professional standards, I suggest using inexpensive fish-eye adapters on a zoom. I've tried this with my Angenieux 8-64 with a Spiratone fish-eye adapter and I really love the look. It's not extremely sharp, though.