Interview for Dr. Who

Daniel Smith

Hi.

A sessional member of staff at my uni (Ravensbourne) works on Dr. Who and managed to organise one of the shoots to be held inside our studios at Ravensbourne, so a number of scenes in upcoming Dr. Who episodes will be shot at Ravensbourne which is pretty exciting.

I got an e-mail about it asking for lighting crew, I went for it and I've been one of the fortunates to score an interview. And I'm crapping myself. The position says for lighting director but I think they mean lighting crew.

This interview isn't going to be any different from any other industry interview, so I really need a few tips. For instance, how important is it knowing the programme, the makers, background etc.

What questions should I ask them?

If anyone can explain to me how they would approach it, that would be great.

Cheers, Dan.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Hi Daniel

In my opinion I think they will be looking for the best person to do the job. So the most qualified and experienced. all that being equal then the most likeable and team player. Sounds like a brilliant job. I can imagine competition for this will be very very stiff. You have got this far so I think you now need to present yourself as a listener and team player. Willing to learn and accept authority who has a lot of stamina and muck in when neccesary.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Guest Glen Alexander

Show up with a toilet plunger and pie tin on your head with a flash light taped on and then say to them, "You will hire me or.... you ... will ....be.... EX...TER...MI...NA...TED!!!!" with a slightly south london or cockey accent. How could they refuse? :lol:

I thought they were done with shooting this series? Oh well if they are still shooting stuff then good luck. I've found having an interest (or at less showing some interest) in the project your looking to work on does help in interviews. If you get a chance look at previous episodes (or at least one) and look for scenes where you thought the lighting was good, often a good starting point if your looking for questions to ask.

I'd thought so, because a friend of mine has just finished editing some of the later episodes. Perhaps it's one of the specials.

They just announced a new showrunner... can't be all that done... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Well, looks as though I got the job. First lighting assistant.

Unfortunatelly, can't give out any details about the release of this production, as apparently it's secret.

But once again, cheers guys, all your help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Well, looks as though I got the job. First lighting assistant.

Unfortunatelly, can't give out any details about the release of this production, as apparently it's secret.

But once again, cheers guys, all your help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Congratulations! Do let us know when you can so we can watch it (a few months behind on this side of the pond).

Hey Daniel,

Congrats!!

This is something that you can learn loads from, so don't forget to ask as many questions as possible.

You might find that you are having to learn so many new things that you tend to feel that you are not doing your job right. But just try and keep in mind that every experienced crew member was exactly like you many moons ago. They'll understand and be more than happy to help if you show the right attitude.

I bet Paul Marchant and his crew are busy making their own dalek suits in their cave!! :D

Good luck and let us know how it went!

S

Guest Tim Partridge

Well done Daniel! :)

I am not a frequent DR WHO viewer but I remember the first season with Christopher Eccleston looking really slick. There was quite a bit of promist diffusion and classy, contrasty hard lighting (DP Ernest Vincze). I saw bits of an episode last week and a few weeks before that were shot clean and noisy with bleeding colours, had REALLY BAD, intrusively unmotivated, bleeding gels splashed across the wall of every set/location, and there was even an unflattering, heavily noisy, available light location close up that they'd maxed out trying to lighten up in post. Comparable to amateur high school media studies work shot on consumer minidv with no kit. I'm prepared to give all the benefit of the doubt and assume the budget went on Wossy's salary (which must be lots more than the money used for an entire season of WHO).

Well done Daniel! :)

I am not a frequent DR WHO viewer but I remember the first season with Christopher Eccleston looking really slick. There was quite a bit of promist diffusion and classy, contrasty hard lighting (DP Ernest Vincze). I saw bits of an episode last week and a few weeks before that were shot clean and noisy with bleeding colours, had REALLY BAD, intrusively unmotivated, bleeding gels splashed across the wall of every set/location, and there was even an unflattering, heavily noisy, available light location close up that they'd maxed out trying to lighten up in post. Comparable to amateur high school media studies work shot on consumer minidv with no kit. I'm prepared to give all the benefit of the doubt and assume the budget went on Wossy's salary (which must be lots more than the money used for an entire season of WHO).

Isn't it great that we work primarily in a country where production values are top of the agenda!