Light & portable generator for one 100W bulb

I am shooting a short film at the top of the Williamsburg Bridge tower in NYC. I will be using only one small (tungsten balanced) light bulb for one particular shot. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a small portable generator that could be rented/purchased in the next few days.

Thanks.

Thomas Chaves

I am shooting a short film at the top of the Williamsburg Bridge tower in NYC. I will be using only one small (tungsten balanced) light bulb for one particular shot. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations on a small portable generator that could be rented/purchased in the next few days.

Thanks.

Thomas Chaves

You're using the small light bulb as a practical?

Look into 12 volt lamps and bring a battery.

No reason to fire up a generator for just one bulb, as said. But if you ever decide to invest in one, you need a QUIET one.

The Honda EU1000, or the equivalent Onan, or the equivalent Yamaha.

Very quiet, but you would still want to move it away from any mikes. Main point, you want an INVERTER type generator with a DB rating of 57 or below. Just running a small pull light or two and not max load, it's less DBs.

These style generators are small and easy to handle (they literally COME with a handle to move them), and you can stick it in your closet. Most important besides the quiet--reliable and built like a rock.

You can power a single bulb off of a portable car battery source like this thing:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

I've used it to power a Diva400 for a shot we did on Yonge St. in Toronto where we didn't have permission to run a generator at that time of night. It should power a 100W bulb for about 3 hours.

• Premium Member
No reason to fire up a generator for just one bulb, as said. But if you ever decide to invest in one, you need a QUIET one.

Very quiet, but you would still want to move it away from any mikes. Main point, you want an INVERTER type generator with a DB rating of 57 or below. Just running a small pull light or two and not max load, it's less DBs.

These style generators are small and easy to handle (they literally COME with a handle to move them), and you can stick it in your closet. Most important besides the quiet--reliable and built like a rock.

You could stick it in your closet. That's a good way to describe its portability but I keep anything with a gasoline tank outside the house.

If you compare the ONAN Inverter units to the Honda, you'll see that ONAN has them beat. The full load output is higher and they are quieter than a comparable Honda. They also have been in the small engine and generator business longer.

KIPOR or any of the Chinese imports can't compare to either the Honda, ONAN or Yamaha. I know a small rental firm that bought both Honda and Kipor. They said the Kipor were noisy and junk.

Edited by JD Hartman