DIY spacelight

clyde villegas

I'm not aware of any links but I have thought about that quite a bit. What I'd do is find the best 400w quality commercial metal halide in as close to 6000K as possible and high CRI (like the Iwasaki Electric bulbs I mentioned on your other question about metal halide vs. HMI) and mount them, 6 at a time, in a circle in a large lantern config with heat proof artificial silk around it. Of course, you also need to find the best, flicker free and silent ballast to go along with that to drive the bulbs. The good thing is that those type ballasts will generally be under $300 as they are often found for use in DIY Aquarium lighting. You just have to find one that doesn't have a fan nor does it have any electrical hum which some do.

With such a configuration, you'd have a very long life bulb, energy efficient and relatively cool output system that would be a fraction of the cost of real spacelights. With each 400w bulb being roughly equivalent of 1600w tungsten, the overall output of such a 6 bulb fixture would be equivalent of around 9600 watts worth of light. No gelling necessary either to get daylight color. You may even find you can dial back the number of bulbs in the fixture to 3 or 4 if you like the output.

Another method would be to use a large quantity of 200w 8U fluorescent bulb, hung upside down to get the overall even lighting effect you were looking for. Each bulb should be roughly equivalent of 700 to 800w of tungsten behind diffusion depending upon how efficient the ballasts in the base of the bulbs are.

Edited by Richard Andrewski

Is there a special name for it? I think the people at the fabric store here won't understand me if I don't tell them the exact type/ name of that fabric. Thanks and God bless.

Flame retardant is a better term actually. This one is listed as being "Durably Flame Retardant"

http://www.rosebrand.com/product1669/126-P...;info=Diffusion

Rosebrand is a trusted name in fabrics that many have used.

Ripstop Nylon as used in parachutes is often flame retardant as well:

http://www.hendersontextiles.com/ripstop-nylon.html

I actually haven't seen a real spacelight. Just read it on the net. Are they made of HMIs? How big are they?

around here they consist of 6x 800w tungsten bulbs, similar to those in redheads.

but to be honest, i wouldn't bother to build one as they really not very expensive to rent, and not really an everyshootingday item...

Edited by Alex Haspel

• Premium Member
but to be honest, i wouldn't bother to build one as they really not very expensive to rent, and not really an everyshootingday item...

Second that. The exception being making a couple for a permanent studio type facility. Then it make sense I guess.

Regards, Dave

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Saw an article in AC magazine April '09 issue in the Post-Focus section, Peter Wunstorf made a DIY spacelight with a laundry hamper from IKEA. Very nice! Any idea what light he put in there?

FYI It's not in the 'Post Focus' section it's in the 'Short Takes' section.