DSLR?

Matthew Buick

Nikon D90 with a 50 mm f1.8 prime and assorted Nikon and Sigma zooms. Less than 3 months after the purchase date, the sensor developed one dead pixel cluster. :( It is covered by warranty, but I will lose my camera for about a month. That is why I hate digital!!!!!!! :angry:

I'm still using my old Nikon D100. I've got megapixel envy, but thus far I haven't had any real need for more resolution, so I haven't upgraded. I'm more likely to buy the replacement on the desire for a bigger buffer than more resolution.

As for lenses, I habitually shoot with an off-brand 35-80 (which I'm not thrilled with, but it's fine for snapshots) and a Nikkor AF 70-210 (which is amazing). But the beauty of the D-series is that the closet full of f-mount lenses my dad and I have acquired over the years fit it just fine, so whatever lens is right for what I'm going to shoot, I can usually find without any cost or trouble.

• Premium Member
OK, I would like to know if there is a single cine member left who isn't ready to lose vital organs to acquire a 5DII?

Yes, Saul, I do. OTOH I'd be ready to loose something for a Nikon D3x. My appendix, anyone?

Concerning your D90 there is something that might help you. Nikon has something called NPS, Nikon Professional Service. You register your (camera) body and a couple of lenses to become a member. One of the services you're eligible too is a replacement body when yours is on repair. You can also check out stuff for free to test. Check it out here: Nikon NPS. Don't really know how it works on your side of the pond...

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member
What's all this "digital rebel" drivel? It's a 300D everywhere except the US.

Phil, come on, you have to admit, Digital Rebel sounds so much more hip and cool than 300D. Get that and the Xtreme Thunder Revolutionary for 16mm and you'll rule the world! ;)

Cheers, Dave

The EOS 300 was a huge leap in DSLR afforability if my history is accurate. Perhaps the '300' was trying to do the job a bridge camera would do nowadays, namely, luring the trendy young compact user in to paying more for a camera. Plus it makes it sound like a good camera for active outdoor photography.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys! I love the way DSLR are connecting us all in this thread.

Now how about some photgraphs from your cameras now! :P

P

Maybe it is an attempt to appeal to those in the deep South who haven't gotten over the outcome of the Civil War, or to those who still look back with fond memories to when the United States cast off the yoke of oppression levied upon us by our "colonial masters" ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
...thinking about upgrading to an a900 :blink:

You lucky thing! The only time I'll be able to afford one of them is when they're old an out of date.

From what I've read it has the best optical viewfinder of any DSLR in existance. 100% coverage, and fantastically bright adnd clear.

Nikon D3 with a few 1980's primes, all manual I don't use auto anything. I shoot with 35 PC-Nikkor or 105/2.5 mostly, I'm a lens minimalist these days.

I am actually shooting a movie with this, time lapse and ~ 8 fps bursts retiming in Shake - Insane :D

I've said before, I'd love to have 24 fps of what this sensor can do in FF/RAW. It would *smoke* the uh, you know <_<

I'm surprised Stuart. With a lovely SLR like that one don't you ever want to come over all...telephoto-ish?

I think I invented a new word there!

Well, I do have a Sigma 70-300, but the AF motor is broken, so it's very difficult to use. Yet another reason to buy manual lenses....

And I thought Sigma were quality... <_< Very sorry to hear that Stuart, that lens must have cost more than my DSLR ans lenses combined! Though simply removing the AF motor will surey work, it can't retard your focusing if is isn't there....