Arri-235 vs. Arri-III

Edward Goldner

Hello!

I'm currently prepping for a low budget 35mm project. We will be shooting almost entirely handheld. We're just able to afford the Arri-235, which seems to be the most maneuverable option. We have, however, been offered a generous discount on the Arri-III, which would allow us to upgrade to a set of Ultraprimes (we're currently planning to use Mk3 Superspeeds) and also potentially buy more stock. I have heard that the Arri-III's magazine makes handheld quite difficult, can anyone comment on this? Also, does anyone know how much the camera weighs and what frame rates it is able to do? If anyone has an opinion on why one model may be more suitable than the other, that'd be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more information is required.

Regards,

Edward Goldner

As much as I <3 the 235, I would say, you're better off putting your money towards good lenses...because when it comes to the quality of your image, the glass is what counts. The Arri III is heavier than the 235, but not to the point where handheld work becomes ridiculous. (IMHO) It's maybe twice the weight of the 235 (body + viewfinder), probably a bit less. But, the 235 body is only about 7 lbs.

What lenses do they offer you with the 235? Where are you renting from?

Plus more film is never a bad thing...

And think of all the money you'll have to spend on ADR, those cameras are loud.

Ask your rental house about top speeds on their 35-3, it varies with model and motor- they should also have shoulder-mount 400' mags for the 35-3 (which is still a great, meat-and-potatoes camera by the way.)

• Premium Member

There are shoulder mags that go on Arri II & III's that balance the weight much more like a camcorder on your shoulder. There's a set of three on ebay right now with an undisclosed minimum bid (boy do I hate the people who do this).

Have a look at: Fromm Shoulder Mags

I've seen individual shoulder mags go for around $1K on ebay, Ken Stone might have one for around that price. Google "Ken Stone" Camera

• Premium Member

Here's a pic of the Fromm magazine on a IIC. I got it from the individual who is selling the mags on eBay. This is the third time he has listed them, they have never reached his reserve price. At one time the reserve on the auction was $1700, I don't know what it is now.

Fromm.jpg

You can also see a little shoulder pad that fits under the magazine to sit on your shoulder.

I have found with my IIC, when using a Jurgen's video door, the Cinematography Electronics crystal motor base, and a 400 ft ARRI 3 magazine, I can tuck/pull the camera into my chest and shoulder, with the back part of the magazine resting up on my shoulder, and that works pretty well. It does bring the center of the lens down a bit, putting it between shoulder and nipple height.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
That is my new baby! :D I just bought that 2c. Thought about the mags, but it´s a bit rich for my wallet at the moment

Sorry, this was completely besides the point, I just got excited.....

Kristian

Congratulations, they're great cameras.

Best,

-Tim

hi for hand held, i will strongly recomand the arri 235 vs arriIII

arri III on the shoulder is really a nightmare it's easyer to hand held an arri III with a regular mag and an easyrig rather than the shoulder mag wich is a Tank huge and heavy to swing around.

arri 235 is a light weight camera designed for hand held.

Notice also that both cam aren't MOS you can't reccord sync sound.

When I saw that photo of the IIC with the Fromm mag, I think I drooled a little bit. But I don't have roommates, so only the cat saw. :P

So yeah, maybe it's worth going to the gym a lot before starting the job...one time, I got spoiled and worked a bunch of little wimpy HVX and 16 jobs in a row, then I got on a 35 job so I had to like, convert my arms to 35mm. If you bring the camera body to the gym, you will get weird looks, but I would say that 20-30 lbs prepares you the same way, not to mention chin-ups.

So who owns those shoulder mags for the IIC? You could drum up a hell of a rental business!

FWIW with the 235, maybe they'd rent you an SR handheld shoulder set or pistol grip for cheaper.

• Premium Member

I'm surprised at the amount of people telling you to get the Arri III. The Arri III is by far the worst camera I've ever handheld. The eyepiece is too long, so the camera sits farther forward on your shoulder (it's already front heavy), which makes the camera really front heavy and awful. I actually had to devise a way to back-weight the camera in order to make the balance even remotely bearable. To do this, we put really long rods on the camera that stuck way out the back and over my shoulder, and we rigged TWO shot bags on the end of the rods, and it still wasn't balanced. It sure weighed a ton though, and my back hurt for days.

Anyway, the point is, if you're going to do a lot of handheld, the Arri III shouldn't even be an option. It's just NOT a handheld camera. The 235 is a whole different world than the Arri III...a much better world. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Arri III.

Also, if memory serves, the fastest an Arri III will go is 120fps. I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
When I saw that photo of the IIC with the Fromm mag, I think I drooled a little bit. But I don't have roommates, so only the cat saw. :P .................

So who owns those shoulder mags for the IIC? You could drum up a hell of a rental business!

I do, the seller offered them for Buy-it-Now and every week dropped the price...at $1300 I couldn't resist.

I've got 1700' of fresh 5285 in the fridge. I'm off to the Oklahoma City Zoo with my new to me 2C, Angenieux 35-140 compact zoom, and three shoulder mags full pf 5285 as soon as the mags get here and I catch a pretty spring day. What's the emoticon for HOT DOG, WE'RE GONNA HAVE SOME FUN NOW?