Birth of Separation, first production journal...

Feature is as simple as the duration, really. You don't necessarily need lights nor a HDCam to make a movie; nor is time all that important either. What of a film of one location, one (very long shot) over 2 hours. Is it less a film that it's just one shot?

It's a valid question, but the problem being is that once you start making lines in the proverbial sand as to what a feature must be, then you begin to hold yourself into corners. Before you know it, it's not a feature without film-stock and a few 6K HMIs or higher. But whose to say that's the only way to do it, or the appropriate way for the situation? Let us not forget that a great majority of feature films have been made with less (The New World was, as I recall primarily Available light only-- most certainly a feature, but would it also still have been a feature if they used a PD 170? Or, is Inland Empire not a feature for the same reason?)

Yes good points... I have seen dinner with Andre.. all shot in one room.. great film.. thats not really my beef.. that was shot 35mm with a full crew.. I guess its just my own prejudices .. pre conceived idea,s... that a feature had a crew of departments/a professional camera/lighting budget/catering etc... One point though .. you,ll hear a film was shot with only available light.. Chris Menges/ Barry Ackroyd/the late Nester Almendros.. etc but actually they did use lights,even big ones.. but in a very natural way.. sorry if this is sounding condensing not meant to be :)

But hey yes see your point... if its feature length.. then its a feature.. why the hell not... get rid of my old ideas!!!

• Premium Member

Even I sometimes have troubles with my own preconceived ideas as what something should or shouldn't be. Or, better put, film [art] is almost like coffee-- we all have our own ideas of what the "best" or "right" or "perfect" cup of coffee should be-- how many sugars/what kind of cream etc. And of course it's all our own idea, ya know? None of us are right, and none of us are wrong, either.

As for BoS in particular, we all got paid, had departments/catering/crew/lights (not too many mind you but a few ;) and it was, despite a short rendezvous of shooting, what the director/producers had thought it would be going in. Which is nice, in it's own way. The director (Louis Mansfield, first time out) was incredibly pleased, and I always think that's my main job, to help the director be incredibly pleased.

Even I sometimes have troubles with my own preconceived ideas as what something should or shouldn't be. Or, better put, film [art] is almost like coffee-- we all have our own ideas of what the "best" or "right" or "perfect" cup of coffee should be-- how many sugars/what kind of cream etc. And of course it's all our own idea, ya know? None of us are right, and none of us are wrong, either.

As for BoS in particular, we all got paid, had departments/catering/crew/lights (not too many mind you but a few ;) and it was, despite a short rendezvous of shooting, what the director/producers had thought it would be going in. Which is nice, in it's own way. The director (Louis Mansfield, first time out) was incredibly pleased, and I always think that's my main job, to help the director be incredibly pleased.

Yes totally agree.. if the brains dept :) are happy and you are happy with your work.. then success all round! good luck with future projects!

Did you use the skateboard dolly at all? Or was it so little trouble you didnt have to mention it?

I had been thinking about building one of those or the regular caster dolly. Just based on time to build and price.

Also the jib did it happen to be something that looked like a PA speaker tripod with a simple tilt mechanism? I had seen something similar on ebay but am still questioning buying it.....

• Premium Member

Yep, that was the jib indeed. It's really not bad for the price, but it needs some form of locking mechanism so you can lock it down, which I didn't see it having. Also the speaker-tripod but bends and warps from the screw which locks the arm/counterbalance onto it. Aside from those two problems, however, it doesn't seem that bad. A beefier stand would help it greatly (perhaps something with wheels on it that can also lock? big pneumatic ones, perhaps to get some interesting moves/detachable etc.)

The skateboard wheel dolly did what it was supposed to do and worked pretty well. I need to tweak it a bit. under weight it bends slightly and there isn't enough clearance between the wheels and the bottom of the platform. Nothing a 1-by couldn't fix, though and I'll be working on it soon as I need it for the end of the month. Been really busy (just got hired on another feature, 10 days this time! and might be on a 4th feature which has a 15 day schedule (this is on top of the 6 day shoot I have in Vermont later this month). If you're going to build a skateboard wheel dolly the biggest problem I had was the nuts washers unscrewing themselves with too much wheel turning. But i solved that by gorilla gluing the nut to the end of the bolt and it hasn't yet been a problem.

• Premium Member
I'll see if I can "procure" the fan and shoot it out to you. And yeah, the opening of Apocalypse Now is fantastic with the fan and the choppers. I'll see if I can just "roll on" the fan for a bit, while changing setups; give 'em a little something extra ;)

Funny you should say that. I did that same thing with the last bit of a roll (at 60fps, I think) and it's become one of my favorite inserts and even had a place in my reel for a while.

• Premium Member

Sadly, though in this case I was running 'round so much I didn't have a chance to grab too many inserts. It was more a matter of "13 minute long me laying on bottom of sound cart being pulled shot is done" I can't feel my legs, take the damned camera for a second and I'm going to go sit down for a few!

Next time though ;)

I keep getting tempted to go out with the XDCam and shoot some long exposure night stuff/timelapse etc. I just never seem to have the time to really get anywhere interesting. Ahh one day.

• Premium Member

Some brief updates on Adrian Life:

BoS has moved into editorial, so hopefully I'll get clearances to post stuff soon[er or later].

On top of that I got hired onto 2 more features for certain (end of this month and end of sept) one 35mm and another on the XDCam, so that's exciting in a frightful way. The other XDCam shoot is based off of an actor from Birth of Separation who was impressed with what I did and had a project kicking around. Can't complain about that.

I'm also pretty certain I'm on another Feature, but still need to submit my "bid," on it [and finish reading that script...]. It's a comedy which I'm looking forward to a bit after BoS and "The Hatred," which is from the actor which is similar in the torture dark, dank look/feel/thought etc.

A side note I learned recently, anecdotal, of course, but it's damned frightening thinking I am perhaps right on the cusp of a real "career" doing this. My dad worked in the industry for years so I recall seeing the stresses and physical toll it'll take on me eventually. And maybe I'm just too stubborn and stupid, but, I'm almost looking forward to the stresses of wondering "what if I don't work this month?" It seems to be just about time to ditch the day-job and take up prayer!

Oh also, I'm perhaps thinking of just doing a "lump" production journal on my future projects; thoughts?

BoS has moved into editorial, so hopefully I'll get clearances to post stuff soon[er or later].

On top of that I got hired onto 2 more features for certain (end of this month and end of sept) one 35mm and another on the XDCam, so that's exciting in a frightful way. The other XDCam shoot is based off of an actor from Birth of Separation who was impressed with what I did and had a project kicking around. Can't complain about that.

I'm also pretty certain I'm on another Feature, but still need to submit my "bid," on it [and finish reading that script...]. It's a comedy which I'm looking forward to a bit after BoS and "The Hatred," which is from the actor which is similar in the torture dark, dank look/feel/thought etc.

A side note I learned recently, anecdotal, of course, but it's damned frightening thinking I am perhaps right on the cusp of a real "career" doing this. My dad worked in the industry for years so I recall seeing the stresses and physical toll it'll take on me eventually. And maybe I'm just too stubborn and stupid, but, I'm almost looking forward to the stresses of wondering "what if I don't work this month?" It seems to be just about time to ditch the day-job and take up prayer!

Oh also, I'm perhaps thinking of just doing a "lump" production journal on my future projects; thoughts?

I would read them. What is the 35mm feature? What camera(s) are you using?

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian... It's been almost 2 months since your last BoS post... Still can´t post some pics, can you?

Regards

JR

• Premium Member

Sadly not; can't post up any of that stuff until after its distro/premiers set in. And aside, it just finished Edit/sound (color correction is later this month), and then.. well as soon as they show up (and the site is up and running) I'll be allowed to show things.

Sadly not; can't post up any of that stuff until after its distro/premiers set in. And aside, it just finished Edit/sound (color correction is later this month), and then.. well as soon as they show up (and the site is up and running) I'll be allowed to show things.

So sad.. But i'll be waiting...

Good luck at de Color color correction...

JR.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

Well I haven't posted in here in a long while; sorry got caught up in other things. In any case, this film actually will be seen on a screen, in a real movie theater, and not shown off of a DVD either! I encourage anyone around in Philadelphia to c'mon out for it. I'll certainly be there.

http://film.org/film/events/index.cfm?eventID=724