Getting Ready for 2005

Tim Tyler

I'm excited. 1.1.2005 will be the first time this forum will contain more than a single year's worth of posts. Prior to 2004, the cinematography.com forum used other software that just got too cumbersome after a while, so every year the old one was archived and a fresh one was created. No need for that anymore.

As you can see from the stats on the bottom of the main forum page, there are nearly 2800 members in the forum. Many of them have probably only visited a few times in the last year. Prior to 2004 I think the yearly max was about 700 though. We probably have Google to thank for that. The old forums couldn't be parsed by Google.

Anyway, I'll be sending out a reminder email on 1.1.2005 to the whole bunch of them, so expect some fresh traffic early on in the new year.

So, Regular Forum Member, now's the time to make suggestions for changes that you think might improve this community.

What do you think?

Hey,

You could add a 'GALLERY' section, where we can submit some of our projects and put them up for critisizm and discussion.

Another thought would be to add a seperate page for classifieds and equipment sales, instead of having it as part of the forums.

And last but not least...

THROW A CONTEST!!!

:D

Thanks,

Jonathan S.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm not sure it's fair to ask Mr. Tyler to do competitions and suchlike as he's effectively giving this away as a free service. I try never to forget that.

I think one thing that could be added would be the ability to have posts emailed out. That's a fair bit of coding and not terribly easy to implement, and it's not something I ever used personally with the old system, but I'm aware that people like it.

Phil

• Premium Member

Congrat Tim and thanks for everything you've done with this great forum!

My suggestions:

I second the ban on anonymous unregistered posters. Everyone should sign up with their real name and list their status, i.e. cinematographer, director, editor, VFX, student, etc.

Exercise your right as forum moderator to remove any and all posts which make personal attacks against someone's sexual orientation, ethnic or cultural background and or posts that express political views.

Start a forum dedicated to Music Videos and Commercial Spots. :)

Thanks once again for Cinematography.com and I look forward to 2005!

• Premium Member

Tim - I love the forums! I've learned so much...

2 things...

1. I miss the old database you had of crew contacts b/c people actually filled out their location and title. No one really fills out their stuff the way it's set up now.

2. As for signing up with names... i wish i would have known it was a big deal prior to signing up! I signed up using a name I use on some other forums and just used the same title. I could sign up again, but I don't want to lose the precious few posts that I've made.

Thank you for the cinematography.com forums!

theturnaround

alex ellerman

Tim,

I too would like to thank you for the service that you provide to us FREE OF CHARGE! This forum has been a wonderful place for us to ask questions, answer questions and discuss cinematography.

As for improvements...I'm not sure. It's easy for me to skip over messages that are blantant "flames" or rants from inexperienced people and I would hate for a legitimate post to be denied simply because it was not signed or was from an unregistered user. These posts don't clog up my inbox so sifting through them isn't really that big of a deal for me.

Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks again.

Respectfully,

Jeff Tanner

We could use another David Mullen. Call the ASC and have them send one. :D

Seriously now

I too would like to change to my real name.

I have learned so much from this forum and I am very grateful for it.

Thanks Tim. And HAPPY HOLIDAYS

• Premium Member

One thing that would be nice would be to have a way to jump immediately to any replies to your own posts. When you long on, there might be a list of them, if any.

Another idea would be a forum for Post Production stuff, but only related to cinematography. Currently, post production stuff is scattered all around the forum. Of course it would be important to make sure we don't get snowed under with stuff about sound or offline systems.

-- J.S.

Another idea would be a forum for Post Production stuff, but only related to cinematography.  Currently, post production stuff is scattered all around the forum.  Of course it would be important to make sure we don't get snowed under with stuff about sound or offline systems.

I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding this. We've got a Telecine category. Do we need a 'Digital Intermediate' category? What else?

• Premium Member
I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding this. We've got a Telecine category. Do we need a 'Digital Intermediate' category? What else?

How about a section dediscated to Motion Control? Just kidding, Tim. I just wanted to thank you for another year of doing a great job on the forums.

Much appreciated,

Bill

Amazing job, Tim- I really can't emphasise how great this place is, it's just a really exciting place to be.

Thankyou so much for all of this!

• Premium Member

Some means of encouraging people to search the board before posting yet another bleach bypass flicker-free fluorescent varicam vs DVX vs XL2 vs fiming a TV film look is film dead topic.

Perhaps a short probation after joining, say a week, during which a member can read but not reply or post new topics.

Thanks all who contribute to such a great resource, and thank you Tim especially.

• Premium Member

Dear Tim,

I would just like to thank you for having such a wonderful forum. It has just

been a remarkable learning tool for me. I would like to see a place here on

the forum where we could upload our short film,hd,dv projects for all to see

and discuss. I would like to thank David Mullen ASC for efforts to help a lot

of us students and newbies to cinematography. My mentor said to me this

week that I'm starting to think and speak like a cinematographer,I owe the

forum for a good deal of that. Thanks to all of you professionals here on the

forum,who sometimes loose a little patience with us but almost always help

us. I would like to take time now to say Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

to all on the forum and may god bless all of you in 2005.

Greg Gross, Professional Photographer

Student Cinematographer

Thanks Tim,

I think the forum has improved a great deal this year with the movement to have people sign their posts with real names and attempts by all to engage in constructive comparisons of techniques. I do hope the politics will not continue though.

Improvements? How about Cinealta and Varicam sub forums under the HD heading? It would also be nice if the site would play disco music while I'm reading threads.

Merry Christmas everybody!

• Premium Member

Tim,

I don't have any suggestions at the moment, although there have been some good suggesstions made already. Thanks for the hard work and a great forum. The appearance of so many new and good contributors to the forum this year proves that you've been taking it in the right direction.

Happy Holidays everybody!