Post one of your setups

DavidSloan

• Premium Member
I don't know about anyone else but I think that this lighting set - up is'nt really all that good.  I thought this forum was about advise from professionals.

You are free to criticize politely and constructively, or even just admit it isn't to your tastes, etc. but just be careful in how you choose your words.

This forum is a community of people at all skill levels; some aren't even cinematographers. It's not particularly just about getting advice from professionals -- it's about interaction with other people with a similar interest in cinematography.

It would also be nice if you signed your posts with your full name.

Brett,

I am sorry you didn't like the shots I posted, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However you have obviously missunderstood, neither of these are frame grabs, and as my 1st AC didn't pull focus on the still photographers little digital stills camera your point is invalid and shows a lack of understanding of filmmaking, as does the tone of your post.

When you graduate from film school you will realise that being able to voice your opinion and creative thoughts in a constructive and helpful way is a vital element to being included in a professional film making crew. I have come across a few people in the industry who have been very rude and obtuse in giving their opinions on-set and none of them have lasted very long working with other professionals. As David rightly said, this forum is not only for professionals, and although I do not consider myself by any means as accomplished as many of the people on this forum, I have got three feature credits as D.P and have shot countless shorts, music videos, and adverts etc..I have worked for many different Directors and producers who have all been happy with my work, enough to keep hiring me for upcoming projects.

I think this is sufficient at least to be able to partake in a trade of information in which I can learn from more experienced people on the Forum (such as David etc.), and people less experienced (like yourself) can hopefully learn from my experiences. When I get the chance I will post actual frame grabs (as opposed to stills from the stills photographer) from this short, Then you can truly give your opinion on my work (and that of my AC and gaffer who are both outstanding professionals).

Cheers.

Tomas.

HI, congratulations to all, you all are so good at your job. That's what I like about this forum there's a lot of people who breathes light and feels passion for this incredible career. Ive seen all stills posted ( all of them incredible ) and Im very happy and proud to be a part of this community.

All the best to all of you, you all rule!!!

Oscar

Sorry, ok, it is set build on studio. Temp 3200k. Key is kno 4 bank w/ 5600k bulbs and 216, lamp placed on floor horizontally. Hair light 2k with 1/2 cts and 1/4 plus green ( set on a flag frame 2 ft away from 2k ) for background kino 4 w daylight bulbs - half of fixture covered with 1/2 magenta, lamp is placed also on the floor and hidden behind girl.

cheers!!

Hey Oscar it looks really nice but do you have a higher-resolution picture so we can examine it in its full glory? :)

Actually I was trying to get ir right sized and resolution, but, I cant seem to get it right!!! the issue is that it is always too heavy. So I decided scale it down and lowering resolution, do you have a formula to post "bigger at a better resolution"? I saved it in photoshop save for web.

Thank you

Oscar

What size is your original? In Photoshop, if you resize to about 800 pixels wide and set the "Save to Web" settings to "JPEG High" that would produce an appropriate image for this board. The reason your picture looks a bit odd (other than it's very small) is it's saved in GIF format, which only supports 256 colours hence the abrupt transitions in colour. Hope this helps!

This is a Still from my first moving short ( XL1s ) called SOUP .

It's a mix of daylight with some deg fill and a 4' Kino from the left ( camera ) and a 1K bounced off a poly from about 10' foot behind camera . I like too keep things simple like my stills work .

post-6142-1116945880.jpg

Here's a fun setup that I gaffed for director of photography, P.J. Raval and director Jeffrey Travis.  I don't have any frames from the 35mm camera yet, so forgive the digital snapshots, but they're fairly representative.

That post with the diagrams and set stills was far more educational than pages of words in most of the books I read... greatly appreciated.

Indeed, a picture is worth a thousand words!

As has been said already many times, but is worth saying again, this thread is extremely helpful, educational, and inspiring. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Windows Media File:

http://www.sysmicfilms.com/video/poor_you.wmv

Quicktime File:

http://www.sysmicfilms.com/video/poor_you.mov

This is a little something I helped out on a few weekends ago.

I only shot the night Ext. roof views of downtown LA with actors in F/G.

I also shot the dolly shots on the beach; the dolly shot following the little girl who's sweater goes from b/w to red and the shot of the woman running up the stairs as they turn to color behind her.

The rest was shot by the director, for better or worse.

• Premium Member
post-6123-1119135880.jpgThis is a scene from a segment that I shot for a television show. The director wanted a very surreal and soft look for the talent. It was basically the Christmas story told with aboriginal actors in their native land. During the location scout, we found this old tree that worked perfect for this scene. I knew that if we shot it at about 10:00am we would have perfect backlight on the actors and I could bounce light onto their faces for the very soft and surreal look we were going for. It does look a bit "lit", but you don't think about that within the context of the story. We only used available natural light during this scene. The smoke also worked nicely except that we had some wind bursts. I loved the way that the actors looked against the cool, contrasty foothills.

here is a frame from a recent music video.

super simple lighting, but was happy with it.

the walls were blue, so i shot 5246 daylight balanced film which neutralized the blue. she is lit really frontal, kino above and below camera, 5600. a kino behind each curtain in the back 3200 with half ctb to still keep them warm. and a china ball with a 3200 bulb over by the candles. thats it.

Edited by jon w