Expired Kodachrome

Martin MacDonald

Hi folks,

A friend of mine recently gave me an unopened roll of Kodachrome 40. On the side it has stamped "Process by 03/1999".

Wondering if anyone can tell me what happens to this stock 10 years after expiration? Is it worth even trying to use it? I stuck it straight in the fridge (though I have my doubts that's where it lived for the past decade). I'm pretty new to super 8 and from what i've read, Kodachrome seems like an era i unfortunately missed out on so i'm ultra keen to try ... something on it. I've noticed a few people suggesting overexposing it a little to combat age, but this film may fall more in the category of "ancient".

Cheers

Hi folks,

A friend of mine recently gave me an unopened roll of Kodachrome 40. On the side it has stamped "Process by 03/1999".

Wondering if anyone can tell me what happens to this stock 10 years after expiration? Is it worth even trying to use it? I stuck it straight in the fridge (though I have my doubts that's where it lived for the past decade). I'm pretty new to super 8 and from what i've read, Kodachrome seems like an era i unfortunately missed out on so i'm ultra keen to try ... something on it. I've noticed a few people suggesting overexposing it a little to combat age, but this film may fall more in the category of "ancient".

Cheers

1999 is excellent to use. even with non-cooled storage. people will/should fight over these :)

Hi folks,

Cheers

Just my opinion...but if you like the look of Kodachrome, and since it is no longer avaiable, and if you don't like the look of 64T, try Fuji Velvia 50D. I thinks it's the closest to K40 in reversal.

...if you don't like the look of 64T, try Fuji Velvia 50D. I thinks it's the closest to K40 in reversal.

Closer than 100D? Perhaps... I haven´t seen that much Velvia. But keep in mind that some cameras have problems with Velvia since the emulsion is a little bit thicker.

100D sure looks great, I think id looks much better than 64T.

• 8 months later...

About expired Kodachrome 40

I am to searching to use Kodachrome 40 before devel. stops this year.

I got 4 rolls with exp. date 2005 thy was in a freeser all the time.

Most i am looking in Ebay to find but i am unsure how old Kodachrome 40 can be and how i store it after i have recieve it.

Any tips are welcome.