looking to put together a small crew

Tom Kwiat

I have a documentary type style movie i am getting ready to shoot this summer in june some time. I want to keep the crew to 4-5 at the most because this is going to be shot on location. i know you guys are going tio ask well whats the plot/idea/summary all that cool stuff but thats the beauty of my movie. Lets not be bound by a set script and locations. Lets just set the goal and see how the journy unfolds and lets tape the whole trip. and see where life takes us. if this sounds like something you want to be apart of email me and lets make history.

basically what im looking for is 2 more guys that are good at what they do but dont know how to express there talent. and they go on a 2 month vacation doing what they love for free. but they wont get paid unless the movie blows up and we will split the money accordingly once we agree upon it.

I have two actor types

this is what i want

I want a guy/girl who is good camera/lighting/audio

I want a guy/girl who is good at promotion/organization/phone skills

i have this idea for a movie that is a real world documentary type of movie. I set the goal of reaching and visiting all 30 MLB stadiums. and we tape the whole journey and let the journey mold the story. you can go a million ways with it as doing the history of each stadium to the character study of 2 guys on the road living the dream of every 12 year old boy. In my opinion the possibilities of the story lines are endless

• Premium Member

How is riding around in some McDonalds fueled fart infested mini-van with no sound recordist, for two months of your life, for free, a vacation?

First, post this in a jobs forum.

Second, offer up some kind of pay. $100/day at the least, that might attract someone to your concept. Also understand the fact that you need a soundman.

Third, plan to pay for hotels, lots of gas and decent food.

Fourth, don't seriously offer to pay someone with the profits of your project. It's a cliche in film to do so and the fastest way to lose respect.

Hard advice but that's the way it works. Your movie isn't going to "blow up" until you deal with what it takes to produce. And if you do actually get this done, you'll find that you need to be the one that is good with phone and organization skills. The hard part starts when you finish your edit.

I have a documentary type style movie i am getting ready to shoot this summer in june some time. I want to keep the crew to 4-5 at the most because this is going to be shot on location. i know you guys are going tio ask well whats the plot/idea/summary all that cool stuff but thats the beauty of my movie. Lets not be bound by a set script and locations. Lets just set the goal and see how the journy unfolds and lets tape the whole trip. and see where life takes us. if this sounds like something you want to be apart of email me and lets make history.

• Premium Member
i have this idea for a movie that is a real world documentary type of movie. I set the goal of reaching and visiting all 30 MLB stadiums. and we tape the whole journey and let the journey mold the story.

Hi Tom,

I recall a client of mine approaching Wrigley Field to shoot a product brochure with the stadium in the background. The stadium wanted $20,000 for the property release, and this was in 1997. Not sure how documentary fees would be calculated, but you should definitely check to see before you shoot anything. MLB, NBA, NFL are all very protective of their properties--and they want money if they are used in anything.

-Fran

they go on a 2 month vacation doing what they love for free.

Damn! I should of thought of this for the crew of The Dogfather. We spent a *bleep* load of money on wages for that shoot, what the heck was I thinking?

I could of just told every one, "it will be a two month vacation, doing what you love."

Oh well, next time.

R,

• Premium Member

I'll leave names out of stories on this one. I was told at a film festival, years ago, that a producer had solved the problem of undependable volunteer crew by charging them a $1,000 deposit from each crew member that he held in escrow until production's end . I can't vouch for the validity of the story or the man's success at this approach.

Paul,

That's even...better :blink: :lol:

Not only don't you pay them; you actually hold their money (and presumably gain interest) while they work for free.....and if they quit beforehand, they are out $1000.

Even P.T. Barnum would be impressed.....

Claus.

Edited by Claus Harding

I'll leave names out of stories on this one. I was told at a film festival, years ago, that a producer had solved the problem of undependable volunteer crew by charging them a $1,000 deposit from each crew member that he held in escrow until production's end . I can't vouch for the validity of the story or the man's success at this approach.

Isn't that somewhat of an oxymoron, "undependable volunteer". Similar to, "experienced professionals wanted, students welcome"? You often get what you pay for, in terms of cheap or free labor vs. skills/talent.

I have a documentary type style movie i am getting ready to shoot this summer in june some time. I want to keep the crew to 4-5 at the most because this is going to be shot on location. i know you guys are going tio ask well whats the plot/idea/summary all that cool stuff but thats the beauty of my movie. Lets not be bound by a set script and locations. Lets just set the goal and see how the jurney unfolds and lets tape the whole trip. and see where life takes us. if this sounds like something you want to be apart of email me and lets make history.

I guessing the title will be, "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Part II"

• Premium Member

I haven't produced anything at all before but I have overheard a lot of conversations in which the phrase "MLB wants HOW MUCH?!?!??!" was uttered.

Do your homework, anything dealing with MLB had better be very well prepared and even better funded. Also, pay your crew. I am a baseball junky and have taken a few ballpark-centric trips and I still wouldn't do this for free.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
History remember the few people who set out to do something despite what all the other a$$holes thought. ie 70% of the poster above.

I don't see how we're all butts for telling him the truth. :rolleyes:

Sorry to inform you that hopes and dreams alone won't make a film.