Lenses

I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSLR camaera and I was wondering if someone could help me with something.

When looking for lenses, I often notice that on the description of certain lenses it says, for example, aperture 2.8.

Does that mean that this lens has only one stop which is 2.8 or does have it a range of stops and 2.8 is the widest it will open?

As you can tell, I'n new when it comes to lenses, as I've only been shooting with DV cameras with built on lenses.

Help much appreciated.

• Premium Member

I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSLR camaera and I was wondering if someone could help me with something.

When looking for lenses, I often notice that on the description of certain lenses it says, for example, aperture 2.8.

Does that mean that this lens has only one stop which is 2.8 or does have it a range of stops and 2.8 is the widest it will open?

As you can tell, I'n new when it comes to lenses, as I've only been shooting with DV cameras with built on lenses.

Help much appreciated.

Hi,

I don't think you should start spending any money on equipment yet, it would be better to go on a course for still photography, then you can get a feel for what lenses might be worth buying, for what you want to achieve.

Best,

Stephen

Thanks for that.

I've been shooting on DV for a quite a while and I am looking to move into DSLRs. I figure the best way to learn would be try them out, I've already done a course in video production.

What would be better?

Buy a DSLR that comes with a zoom lens or buy the camera body with your own selection of lenses?

• Premium Member

Bruce, I think that depends on how you like to shoot. Personally, I have a Nikon FM, which I love, and a 50mm Lens, and that's it. I've never changed lenses on that camera for when I'm out shooting (i'll move myself as opposed to zooming in) because I really like and trust that one lens. Other people I know have a Zoom lens which they like and love and work it well. I would say to learn on a Zoom is very nice to get an idea of what lengths do, but also make sure you work with it, to learn, with some discipline, to move in closer and see what that does, far away, mid ground, all for the same shot.

I need help.

I live in Brazil and have an Arriflex III varying the shutter up to 135 degrees. The mirror broke.

I need to buy a mirror for a 180 degree Arriflex III, where I buy?

Thank you.

Francisco Ribeiro

You should ask this in the Arri section rather in the middle of another thread.

Check with Arri at Arri.com for your local agent.

Thank you for sound advice there Adrian really appreicate that. Another matter which is slighting concerning me is when you see a lens that has a aperture range of 3.5 to 5.6, doesn't that seem a bit restrictive? Say if you needed a stop that was out of those ranges, what would you do? Change lenses? Change ISO? Bring in filters?

Thanks again for anyones help.

• Premium Member

I need help.

I live in Brazil and have an Arriflex III varying the shutter up to 135 degrees. The mirror broke.

I need to buy a mirror for a 180 degree Arriflex III, where I buy?

Thank you.

Francisco Ribeiro

They show up on eBay from time to time.

• Premium Member

It can be, but with a stills camera you can adjust your shutter speed to get an exposure, though for DoF this can be challenging. That being said, a 3.5 5.6 lens is what most stills cameras come with from the dealer when buying. The only times it becomes restrictive is when working at night, even on high speed film. Normally when out shooting in daylight, you'll have no trouble accommodating a 5.6 with 100 speed film ;)

• Premium Member

For video, for stills I try to keep my shutter at 1/lens of higher (for example 1/50 for a 50mm lens of faster, 1/150 for a 135 mm lens etc).

Now if you're buying a DSLR for video work only, as your post seems to suggest, I'd recommend against it, that's just me, but once you kit it out to shoot good footage you'll spend more than buying a good video camera. However, if you persist, and you really want to use a vDSLR, then you'd want to get prime lenses, and OLD MANUAL ones at that. Avoid any AUTO Lens, even if in Manual mode as they can really be more trouble than they are worth.

For video, for stills I try to keep my shutter at 1/lens of higher (for example 1/50 for a 50mm lens of faster, 1/150 for a 135 mm lens etc).

Now if you're buying a DSLR for video work only, as your post seems to suggest, I'd recommend against it, that's just me, but once you kit it out to shoot good footage you'll spend more than buying a good video camera. However, if you persist, and you really want to use a vDSLR, then you'd want to get prime lenses, and OLD MANUAL ones at that. Avoid any AUTO Lens, even if in Manual mode as they can really be more trouble than they are worth.

Why would you recommend against it?

• Premium Member

Well, my personal feeling is thus:

you'll learn more through learning discipline than by shooting willy nilly; and if you've already shot a lot of video then there isn't too much more to learn from a vDSLR, aside from how to change lenses. I would say it is better to learn to think about what you're doing, as you do through stills on film for example, than by just doing. That's just me of course.