Music Videos shot with a Bolex

Dean Vian

• 4 weeks later...

There was a Shania Twain video (don't ask me how I know!) that featured an H16 very prominently. Unless it was faked (only saw at YouTube quality, so they could've shot it with an iPhone if it weren't from the '90s) the H16 was used for some of the footage in B&W, and is actually IN the video, which appears to have been shot with two cameras. I think the title is "Forever and For Always."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

This was shot this winter in sweden using a Bolex rex-4 super 16 scanned to HD.

I made all the post so please feel free to ask anything...

Track of time - music video on Vimeo

I saw it earlier and commented on vimeo, but I'll say it again: that was a really beautifully shot short.

I'm assuming you shot on kodak 50D for the exteriors and something faster for the interiors (hence the grain), how fast was the film you used for the candle-lit scenes? Did you only light that with the candle, or did you use some extra light and make it look like it was the candle?

• 5 months later...

Hi

WOW. this gave me shivers. the scene in the snow where she's kneeling down is amazing. side shot of the face is just beautiful too. omg!

Hi

I thought that was really nice. I think of it as a film rather than a music video. Well done Daniel and Anna. I like the genuine feeling of the emotional theme, and the images have a sense of the genuine also. I liked the finely textured interior shots that were framed by areas of black. I really liked the Anna in the snow images. I did wonder if maybe the start of the film was a bit bit loose formally. And maybe the meaning of the black makeup needs to be more developed.

Were the fogged edges for real?

Cheers

Gregg.